T7 Mini-Chaingun - It got overbuffed, sorry.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JibbaJabba, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Kriegson

Gee, I wonder why people using a weapon that is OP would not make a thread about it being op.
    Hrmm
    HRRRMMMM

Not saying that's the case, but that is a really naive or just plain stupid argument. -_-
  2. Desann

I hate how this game favors the laggers. I notice when people are lagging they get a "flicker" effect. It appears as though they disappear for a few frames then quickly re-appear, as if they are warping a few feet to the left or right. Makes it difficult to track/aim and to them they have perfect shots on you...
  3. DevDevBooday

I said, try it, not use it.

All you need to do is go into VR see that its ADS is as big as the Jackhammers hipfire to realise it aint OP.
    You CANT aim with it. Its relying entirely on spray and pray.
    And even its highest RPM is still lower than your GD-7F
    and it has the same damage drop off as the CQC carbines.

There is no OP aspect about it.
  4. Kriegson

The only issue (if there is one) is probably due to ease of use + versatility compared to other faction specific weapons. It should not be a comparative replacement to things like the CARV. Lasher serves a specific role of area denial and suppression (that actually works quite well) jackhammer serves a similar, passive role of area denial (That guy in the room has a jackhammer, F*** that) and the very close range niche. Though it is moderately effective at longer ranges it's not really comparable to the LMG's which do the role much better.

The minigun though sits in about the same area as other LMGs. It is highly effective in close range due to being able to pray and spray, mid range as you have more time to react to a target and spin up, and long range as a suppression weapon with extended mag.

It can do a little of everything very well, which is the problem. Faction specific heavy weapons should serve a single role extremely well, and on jackhammer/lasher they do (if unappreciated on the lasher's end). But the minigun kind of does everything.
    Why NOT take the minigun over the carv in a base fight? In what situation will you be utterly borked for not having taken a more versatile weapon?

Not many, if any. And that is likely the only problem. But I don't see it as a reason to nerf it.
  5. Larolyn

Chaingun doesnt scare me as much as the MSW-R. Did that thing get buffed?
  6. Golconda

oh comeon, let's be honest for a minute okay? the gd-7f has MORE DPS, FAR more accuracy, NO SPIN-UP TIME. what does the t7 have? more ammos.
    If you need an empire specific aspect to apply to the gun you can use "the minigun kind of does everything worse than any other automatic weapon, aside for spray"

it's a fun gun, thats it. just like your phoenix ppl use it because of that, even if they know that most of the time another weapon could do just better.
  7. Tuco

I hate base fights. My KDR is like 0.5.

Out in the open where you lag exploiters and tweakers can't cheese my KDR goes up to like 5.0 plus a couple tanks/ESF's with my Stryker/BattleRifle setup.

All FPS games do this.
  8. -Synapse-

The Jackhammer would've killed you even quicker.
    • Up x 7
  9. pnkdth

Why do you keep comparing it to a carbine(GD-7F) when it is an ES HA weapon, and HAs do not even have access to carbines? We're not even talking about the same class anymore, and the OP said he was using a HA. Are you suggesting the solution is to stop playing HA and use an engineer/LA? None of the HA weapons are not up to par with ARs/carbines, well, with the the possible exception to the Orion/MSW-R but even they are behind in raw stats.

That said, it sounds like the OP or the MCG user suffered from lag or something, or just a good string of lucky headshots(it does happen after all).
  10. Golconda

we're talking about automatic infantry weapons, not comparing pistols to mines. if a weapon with the stats of the T7 is considered OP by someone then that someone should consider UBER-OP the vast majority of other lmgs/carbines too, which is silly.
  11. MykeMichail

And he could've shot those missiles out of the sky with his pistol, with their flash-sized hitbox.

What of it?
  12. FishMcCool

I'd say that's your problem there. He managed to get out of your sight, and *he* broke cover. Latency and client-side hit detection means that by breaking cover, he was ahead of you, and had probably some 200-400ms advantage. That amounts for a lot of bullets. The second you saw him come out, it is *very* likely that he had alredy started firing at you. By the time you saw him, activated your shield, and his client received notice that your shield had gone up, he probably had you killed on his client. Basically, planetside favors the player breaking cover. Had you run round the crates before he did, you'd have held that time advantage and (provided good aim) won.

See Wrel's video, he explains it better than me:
    • Up x 2
  13. Tommyp2006

no it's always been that good as far as I know, I know it didn't get any recent buffs, just an audio pass like the rest of TR weapons. It's pretty much an orion clone without the .75 ADS but has Adv laser instead.
  14. Odin

Sounds like u would have lost to any non NC lmg at that range. You do realize we have no lmg that can touch the carv, Orion , mswr or the chain gun right?
    If u are too close to any of those and you both fire at similar times u auto lose because they out dps you by a fair margin.
    It is ******** but it's not just the mcg.
  15. TotalNoob

Lack of any meaningful counter argument noted. I have a four year old that could have put forward something more concise than this. In absence of any proper argument I sense you're on the defensive.
  16. AdmiralArcher

i might actually start using the MSW-R, it sounds so badass now
  17. Kriegson

If the minigun was worse than everything else, no one would be using it. I would like to see the metrics of people using it now, because frankly it's become relatively common.

The pheonix has a niche, it can be used to fire around cover IF you have a good indirect angle, the missile doesn't turn well at all so you still need a relatively decent shot. If they're snugged up against a wall paralell to you, then you can't hit them. Over 300m, can't hit them. And consider most missile launchers it's:
    Fire
    Reload
    Fire

With this it's
    Fire
    Guide missile for a few seconds to target
    4 second reload
    hit for 750 dmg (Multiplier on vehicles but lowest of all RL not including uncharged lancer)
    fire

A pheonix is only effective on someone already getting hit by other people, an abandoned vehicle OR turrets. For whatever reason turrets register pheonixes perfectly, other RL's they tend to shrug off. 750 damage with maybe a 10 second interval is not incredible.

But yeah OT: Having 200 ammo and 800 RPM is nothing to scoff at. Imagine if the GF-7F could only be hip fired but only had to reload after 200 rounds? I imagine you might not enjoy it much.
  18. Stargazer86

Everyone is using the MCG right now because it just recently got changed. People are trying it out. Give it a week or two and then see what the numbers say.

Don't forget to add a spin-up time to it. The MCG is better than it was, but it's still just 'meh' compared to something like the MSW.
  19. Munq

Are you saying there are TR players using other guns besides Carv and Cycler?

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  20. Llaf

If he broke line of sight, you can't rule out the chance that he popped a medkit. Any heavy worth their salt would do the same in that situation. The key to beating the chaingun within it's effective range is to go for headshots. If you pay attention to which guns have low TTK you can also beat it head-on during the spin-up simply by knowing you have the right weapon for the job. It's not overbuffed, its viable.