they're adding Continent Locking next, and they really need to add sanctuaries.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zar15450, Apr 16, 2014.

1. zar15450

Sanctuaries are not a bad thing at all. I see no problem with it. I think it's a bad idea why not to add it. I can see few problems in the future already with out them. If people have any thoughts about this please share them.
  2. LordMondando

Why do we need them over and above the training area and the warpgate?
  3. Riddlley

I think the map designer's time is better spent on hossin to be honest. As much as I like sanctuaries.
    • Up x 3
  4. LordMondando

And battle islands.
    • Up x 1
  5. IamDH

Sorry for the noob question but what is a sanctuary?
  6. Revanmug

Virtual reality is your sanctuary.
  7. FateJH

They've already said they're not doing the sanctuaries, which means we'll get a bastardization of the concept that will make no one happy if we keep pressing.

Sanctuaries were continents that were always owned by a specific faction in PS1, a home continent, if you will. They could not be contested and typically consisted of only a few buildings and Warp Gates linking to three other continents in the global lattice.
  8. Riddlley

*Sigh*

Back in planetside 1 each faction had a head quarters on a secret island, from which people would gather and prepare for a fight. It felt a whole lot more like "home" than a generic look alike warpgate.
    • Up x 2
  9. Maljas23

This ^

It had a warpgate that connected 3 other planets/islands within the lattice together to it. It had your infantry stations/barracks, vehicles terminals but probably most famously had the HART shuttle system. The HART was a shuttle left every few mins from your Sanctuary and transported people from your faction to different areas on Auraxius(spelling :p). You would be drop podded from the HART to the field.

This is technically where drop poding in PS2 comes from.
  10. Astriania

When we get continental lattice, a sanctuary-like starting point would be better than rotating home continents. It could just be the VR model though.
  11. IamDH

Seems pretty useless tbh.
  12. Pootisman

• Are there details on how you take/retake a WG?
    • What happens if the overpopped faction (NC has often >40% at the moment) takes 2 continents?
      • Are the other factions forced to fight on the remaining continent?
        • Will those players then have to wait in queue for ages to get on the remaining continent? (continent limit is 1000 players
    EDIT: Whoot, the roadmap is now up to date and has useful information in it?? Well that clarified alot of things, the only question remains is how you take a WG?
  13. FateJH

Essentially, they were expanded Warp Gates and the gauranteed consistent links into the global lattice. Those probably are not useful without the ability to move persistent equipment (such as Vehicles) across continents and that would only benefit the unobserved amassing of forces to push on a certain location.

Otherwise, nothing that couldn't be accomplished with a smaller resource profile and no loss of functional immersion. Fleshing out three specific Warp Gates to be the "home" ones would be more efficient.
  14. RaZz0R

I for one really hope they quickly whip up some basic maps for having sanc's!

With cont locking comes islands and should also bring inter cont lattic. Having a sanc (Sanctuaries; /sanc) allow each empire to mass a good group of people or huge group and roll out to a cont - and each empire has no idea which one. This way if you just took a cont and kicked off VS & NC (If you were TR) - then moved on to the next cont link - they could raid and start to retake the cont you just move on from.
  15. FateJH

If that is the draw, then it would be less resource intensive to code the Warp Gate regions to not report population statistics on the map.
  16. Goretzu

Well they were good for preparing and organising, of course, being unable to move vehicles between continents tends to limit this in PS2.
  17. Paski

Or have a command rank ability to hide region populations from the enemy of a selected region. Lets call it Radarx jamming :)
  18. GriffinTalon

Pretty much re-make PS1 cont lattice in this game.

semi-rant bored 2 paragraphs and 1 sentence of text ignore if you want

A sanct of some sort that inks to a cont, maybe hossin only for example that rotates which gate you have access to, then all factions have access to battle islands via hossin (with the warpgates being capturable, but hard to capture but not too easy to defend but should cause trouble for attackers) and from there access to the main conts, which could also rotate the warpgates as they do now.

Above also would need vehicle warpgate transport working as well.

With that cont locking can be added + they could also add in player locks, this is a personal pet peeve that pisses me off, if you play for longer than 30mins or an hour (< probably more realistic, but this would need serious thinking to get done right) you are locked to the faction on that server for X amount of time or if cont locks can be done well were players are focused on goals that make pop inbalance irrelevant we don't need a player lock because I'm pretty sure that if player lock were introduced that we would have oceans of crying :D would be glorious to see.
  19. Fubbles

I can't see cont locking being in place before a few things I think are missing from the game are implemented.

1. We need more continents , I don't think 4 is enough with the release of hossin maybe 6 (searhus+oshur)
    2. Warpgates obviously need to function as warpgates, Warping you and your selected vehicle to another continent
    3. I wouldn't mind something resembling the PS1 lattice like GriffinTalon said
    4. Some form of NTU so you have options for taking bases or disrupting enemy pushes
    5. The return of the Dropship and Interlink Facilities
    6. The long awaited resource revamp
    7. Different base capture mechanics (Hello LLU runs)?

I would very much like to see the good stuff from the original planetside make its way back into the game before you can completely lock a continent as that serves no purpose currently but limiting where you can fight. Too much of the same currently we need more variety in gameplay. In addition once cont locking is in place I think they should implement the rabbit system for continent stalemates that last 24 hours. I had some great moments from rabbit but it might crash the server in ps2 :p

Cont locking was great but we are no where near that yet imo.
    • Up x 2
  20. John_Aitc

I still believe that the Resource Revamp is the most important thing to help the game.

Despite the above, I think that all efforts should be put into producing Hossin. In my time on the forums, I feel that this is the "wow" item that will calm most of the masses that either play or will come back to the game for something significant. Hossin is the gateway to the next big "wow" change - Intercontinental Lattice and Continent Locking.

If Hossin is released now, then the PS4 crowd can play it like it was always there then be impressed by the addition of Intercontinental Lattice and Continent Locking.

I wish this weren't the case, but if you think of Forumside players like a Television Nielson Family that represents n thousands of players, then this must be the order of progression.