I used VS SMG's for the first time ever...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Mustarde, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Mustarde

Holy Vanu!

I had always assumed the SMG's were slightly different but overall close in performance. As most of you know, I've spent a vast majority of game-time as a TR infiltrator, with thousands and thousands of kills using the TR infil weapon arsenal.

I recently have spent more time playing VS, but I spent most of that time playing with sniper rifles, which are identical across factions. I used NS weapons, because I also knew I'd be comfortable with those.

Then last weekend, the 1st gen SMG's went on sale and I bought the Eridani. All I have to say is, what the Higby.

Yes, there is that shiny new weapon feel that can make anything you use feel powerful for a time. But as I use this thing to tear through entire squads of players, able to hipfire them in the head at 20m while on the move, I have to ask myself... has it always been like this?

And what do I mean? The TR SMG's have some pretty wicked recoil characteristics. And while the Armistice has an amazing TTK at close range, it also is horribly inaccurate as you add movement, distance and headshots into the picture. Aiming for the head is going to send half your bullets over either the right or left shoulder of your target. With the Eridani, I can ADAD + crouch and still keep bullets on target while hipfiring.

Anecdotal? Yes. One players opinion? Definitely not enough to seriously consider balance changes based on. But am I missing something here? I really need to hurry up and get the Sirius, because I'm told most VS like that one even MORE.

TLDR: The eridani might be the most deadly weapon I have ever used as an infiltrator. The fast TTK, quick reload and incredible accuracy at longer ranges than other SMG's is astounding. It puts the Armistice to shame, and the Hailstorm was a joke before I ever used another faction SMG. I've used the cyclone with similarly amazing results although I felt that the recoil kept it from being too powerful.

I'm curious what your experiences/feedback is.

I think I understand why some people absolutely hate SMG infiltrators now.
    • Up x 7
  2. DrankTHEKoolaid

The change to the Eridani awhile back moved it from one of my least favorite SMGs, to one of my favorites. It's the only empire specific SMG with that extended range, and it's very noticeable. Unfortunately I haven't been playing any VS lately, but I'm looking forward to going back to it. One thing that I noticed by checking out my stats with after 224 kills is that I'm running over a 37% accuracy with it. Most of my other, more used SMGs are around 33%. I don't think the higher accuracy is actually do to the weapon, I think it has a lot more to do with my new arrangement while playing. But the fact that my accuracy is better now as opposed to when I was first using it, might have something to do with why I like it so much more now.
    • Up x 1
  3. Tentakewls

Nah, it used to be awful, then it got buffed
    If you want good SMGs you should just play NC.
  4. Mongychops

The relevant part from PU02 (December 17th) https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...cember-17-2013-9-30-am-pt-6-30-pm-cet.162621/

• Eridani SX5
      • The below damage change is as overall improvement to the Eridani’s damage curve.
        • Max damage range increased from 6 to 10
        • Min damage range reduced from 42 to 40
    I suppose with that change, it became a bit like a mini Jaguar. I think the main issue of the Eridani is that it heavily punishes missing and not getting head-shots, with the very low damage / magazine (if you use ALS), and (compared to other SMGs) damage output. before PU02, the Cyclone did what the Eridani did, but better, now there is a definite niche for it.

The Sirius is almost a clone of the NC Blitz, so yes, it is good. I'm surprised the Hailstorm wasn't touched in the balance changes of PU02, the TR deserve it in this balance pass.
  5. Mustarde

Thanks for linking that. I never used the pre-buff Eridani... so perhaps I am simply seeing it without all the shackles it used to have.

I thought about using ALS with it, but I agree that 25 rounds per mag is a bit low, and I felt like it was incredibly accurate anyways. I will have to try it out, but I've been just running extended mags and it is something else.

I'm definitely a believer in the cyclone. But for some reason with the Eridani everything I look at dies.
  6. Tentakewls

Best thing about the Eridani is that is the only VS weapon with an actual long reload animation.
  7. Mongychops

I auraxiumed the Eridani with only ext mags (I used Sirius for hip-fire) with 90% of the kills pre-buff, I just, mentioned it as some players I know prefer to use ALS for picking off single players and disengaging (short reloading between kills). OK, I haven't even bought ALS, because I freely admit that the only way it would be worth it, is if I am capable of using it to hip-fire head-shots at ~15m (which I suck at).

I would say stick with ext mags, as the ADS / hip-fire on this weapon is fine as it is, with the low bloom. I should really pick it up again, tbh, I only had a few kills left to auraxium post buff. Been running mostly with NS-7 and MKV since then (I get compulsive with auraxiums).
  8. Get2dachoppa

*pets Armistice affectionately*

Its ok, my precious. He didn't mean it. What's that, you ask? When will we kill again? Soon. Very soon.
    • Up x 4
  9. Tanchester

Oh man, this is just the classic switch enthusiasm. You play TR and now that you've used the Eridani you're all impressed by it, but the truth is, it's just as good as the Armistice or the Cyclone. I've played all three of them and all three have pros and cons, it's just what suits your play style.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, the SMGs are pretty much the same, but it makes a difference when you put your play style in the equation. I wouldn't say the Eridani is that amazing, I've used it and I have an Auraxium with it (got it in 3 days), but the versatility of the Eridani is just far worse than some other SMGs. The Eridani is really useful in short ranges, but it just lacks accuracy on some medium range targets.

That's just my opinion. I mean, you can test it yourself, switch to the Blitz for a couple of days and you'll be like... Screw the Eridani, Blitz here I come!

See you!
  10. Heyitsrobbie1984

I myself use the Cyclone SMG for the NC and because its so damn good i just cant use any other SMG. the 167 damage per bullet allows you to burst down your enemies down really quick at close range as long as you hipfire. the 652 rounds per second clearly out performs every thing the NC has when it comes to hipfire weaponry in close quarters.

the cyclone is my weapon of choice in QCB situations. its too damn good

Mustarde, can you do a gameplay footage of yourself using the eridani SMG. i wanna see for myself how you use the weapon. thank you
    • Up x 1
  11. Fubbles

I would say the eridani is pretty versatile compared to the 2nd gen smgs and armistice, the extra max damage range is very noticeable while still not being as good at further ranges than the ns7 or mkv due to their better accuracy/recoil patterns. That said I still feel the cyclone is the best smg because of its high damage profile and my preference of using an advanced laser (you lose around 900 damage per mag against an ext. mag eridani) but can still kill out to distances which the 2nd gen smgs/armistice cannot reach as effectively.

The eridani definitely has a place in our arsenal since its been buffed as a more versatile option than the sirius as being able to reach out a bit further but not to the point it overtakes the ns7/mkv which also can't overtake the artemis. All in all the eridani is in a good place now where as before it was pretty craptastic compared to anything else
  12. Taemien

Its one of the few 1900 dps weapons NC has, thats why it feels so awesome. Most of our weapons are 1600dps.

TR on the other hand... Lets just say it sucks to get in close with them. They call use the shotgun faction (yet we don't use many, thats just a vehicle trait that sucks), but their weapons up close allow them to use their full dps to its fullest potential and you will feel it. And VS just feels wrong (at least to me), they're nothing like the other two factions.
  13. Heyitsrobbie1984

imsgine being on the wrong end of the lynx carbine when the update goes live. thats going to suck hard
  14. yeHHH1g

I had the same reaction when I used the blitz and cyclone for nc. The novelty wears off after you put a few hundred kills through the weapon.
  15. Heyitsrobbie1984

i would probably say that's the best case senario i rekon and to kill a few more hundread
  16. Nanomorph

I play Infil myself and I fully support calls to wipe out the SMG Infil as a class.

Right now it's uncloak n spray, low skill E Z mode and is about as bad as an Infil with a shotgun.

Infils shouldn't have SMGs in the first place, when they already have fully automatic scout rifles.
  17. RockPlanetSide2

Shhhhhhh, Mustarde, the Vanu secret weapons are not for you. Shhhhhhh.

The Eridani is basically a super awesome hyper-accurate Orion for Infiltrators... don't ruin it. I have the Gold one from box release so mine is extra special awesome, but the regular one is good enough for the masses. :D

My bet is that you won't think as highly of the Sirius SX12 as its just a ****y version of the Blitz. I was never big on the 2nd Gen SMGS as they are kind of funky versus HA's, but the HA nerf might change all of that.
    • Up x 1
  18. Taemien

And it does what exactly? Uncloak and kill someone who respawns in 15s, this time with a flashlight? You're not taking any bases with a SMG infil. Heck even a sniper is better for that. At least they can keep engies from repairing. CQC infils just make it a fair shot for them to get a kill.

I'd rather SMGs stay on infils and rather it was the default weapon for them instead of sniper. This way they have an illusion of being useful as some might actually put recon darts up. Snipers are less likely to do this.

The only things the SMG infil is good as is noob hunting, and lone wolf hunting. If you need to look for those pesky ghost cappers, its great for that. Need to actually do something? Equip anything else. Granted Some... SOME SMG infils are good at what they do, infiltration and recon... but these are few and far between and I don't want to see them be weakened just because some lone wolf got their feelings hurt.
    • Up x 1
  19. Nakar

The Eridani is I think my favorite SMG for a teamplay support Infiltrator (as in, the guy who brings the dart/beacon along with the drop). The quick reload suits itself well to holding points with allies and quick ganks, but the low magazine size is a real concern when solo. I think the team support Inf position is also facing major competition from Stalker Cloak as it allows you to set up and spot/dart/beacon in considerably greater safety.

Also I have the gold one, so I'm sort of contractually obligated to try to make it work.
    • Up x 1
  20. RockPlanetSide2

Nah. You make it sound like every Infiltrator is going on 20 to 1 kill streaks on every single life... obviously completely incorrect and overall nonsensical mouth-farting. Shields, Clientside and Nanoweave are still the bane of SMGs... more than enough to keep them in check.
    • Up x 2