This is the worst game I have ever played......

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LegioX, Mar 6, 2014.

1. VogonPoetMaster

What the hell is this client-side hit detection you guys speak of? I've never heard of an online game that allows the client to decide whether or not a hit was made; that's just a botmaker's wet dream. Got any links detailing PS2's netcode?
  2. LibertyRevolution

I don't think you understand how this game works...
    Go make a character on which ever server gives you the highest ping, for me that is Briggs at 320ms, and play for an hour.
    You will wreck everyone if you just keep moving, I watched players shooting at the wall I where I was half a second ago.
    You will trade kills with people that get the drop on you.
    You will be that guy that gets shot in the back, turns around, and blows their face off.

I get wrecked on waterson with my 50ping by these EU guys with their 300pings.
    • Up x 2
  3. M2_Bradley

You beat me to it. Damnit.
  4. IamDH

The only game where people report you for killstealing rofl
  5. starlinvf

There have been several MP shooters that have used it over the years, but the numbers have spiked recently due to a large shift toward MMO structures and complex ballistics. The problem is doing all this server side would require almost double the processing power or shrinking the number of supported players allowed in a microcosmic instance to keep the load small. The choice for CSHD is based on similar benefits for distributed computing, where only the results of calculations are significant, allowing many nodes to run independent jobs in parallel, each with lower individual bandwidth and memory boundary requirements.

But as you suspect, the major vulnerability is falsified data. To that end, servers run sanity checks based on known deltas for various data values to help sniff out unusual behavior. Its far from perfect, but it'll have to do until network infrastructure can ensure bandwidth and rapid traversal (means effectively eliminating jitter), and server/cluster technology gets better big thread scalability. That or someone discovers a true low latency, true parallel, multi-threading method for a sequential task.
  6. Kallowe

Halo: Combat Evolved for PC had the worst hit detection.
  7. TheBlazing

Tip to all of those having lag problems such as getting killed 2-3 seconds after taking cover, also tends to partially solve current latency issues:

FORWARD YOUR PORTS

It's a night and day difference, I assure you. Many games and game services, such as Steam, automatically forward the ports they use, but Planetside 2 doesn't, so you'll have to do that manually. There are a bunch of tutorials on port forwarding so just Google it, while here you can find a handy list of ports used by Planetside 2 that you will need to forward.
  8. DeadAlive99

He's not trolling. I have the same problem constantly, but I do not have this problem with any other shooter that I play. This is the only shooter I play with this problem.
    • Up x 1
  9. daniel696

Everyone who is just pissed off about the state of the game is a "troll" in these forums. He's just tired of playing a game that has a horrible lag and if he's here in the forums, if he created an account and spend his time creating a thread is because he like this game and is trying to call attetion by any means necessary.
    CodeForge already said "If they are angry, is because they love the game at the point of being angry".
    • Up x 3
  10. SenEvason

It's been happening for a long time now. For me, it gets worse the longer I play in a session, until I get too desynced from the server to do any damage anymore.
  11. Masterofm

I was killed by someone I could never see because I was trying to always put something between me and them so that he couldn't shoot him. That was certainly interesting.
  12. MorganM

Of all the techno babble in this thread from people trying to sound smart.... your guidance makes the most sense. This plus leveraging QoS could be a noticable performance increase. I'm going to try these; thanks!

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Planetside_2/
    http://thelonegamers.com/better-planetside-2-network-performance/
  13. furrywaffle

I'm playing from half way across the globe, I'm very grateful for any game that features any latency absorbing technology. They're not perfect, I've had people mad that I shot then through walls, even though they're standing right in front of me, but I think it's the lesser of 2 evils.
  14. ABATTLEDONKEY

The stigma isnt that the games are "bad". The stigma is that the COD series has degenerated into the a series of games that seems to define the very words "simplistic", "generic", "watered down". They are notorious because they have taken the FPS genre, and dumbed them down to the smallest, and simplest level possible. Further aggravating this reputation is the fact that COD's largely console player base seems (i know this is a matter of perspective) to be the youngest, most immature, generally insulting, through vulgar (often times ignorantly so), and needless fashion.

This has been COD's reputation for close to 10 years, due to the fact that all COD games since MW2 have been so similar, calling them carbon copies is not to far off the mark. When people rag on COD, they are not simply calling it a bad game IMO. They are making valid reference to the negative aspects of its generic, and simplistic gameplay, and its almost hostile community.

Just my opinion of course, and Yes, Ive played COD. many may times. I stopped at MW3, but still pick it up from time to time with friends.
  15. Pikachu

:eek: I thought the BF games were made of mirror polished gold.
  16. Mortucus

i have 25 ms lat and still get killed behind walls and cover their alga rithyms suck balls simple as that and we are already belading players because of this
  17. Camycamera

the wost hit detection? man, i live in Aus, where the Government treats adults like babies and is too stupid enough to give us ******* fast internet already and i don't have net code problems with PS2.
  18. Krinsee

This is a combined issue of the Client side hit detection alongside with the insanley short TTK for most weapons. PS1 mitigated this a bit by having higher TTKs, but with all the COD and BF kiddos coming into the game with their consoles soon expect this to get nothing but worse.

Planetside used to be a tacital based game (planetary links wher you couldn't access a planet/cont withoug the linking bases from yout sanc).. now it's just a basic FPS clone with fast time to kills and no overlaying strategy where the TTK on most gund makes the client side hit detection even worse than it was in PS1.
  19. Chowley

Sadly I must agree with you, its really pushing me away from the game now at this stage. I log out now out of frustration due to this pretty much every night. The amazing thing is it seems to have gotten worse consistently since May or so last year. Which doesnt make a lot of sense. It reminds me of BF3 at launch, but they actually toned it down. Or maybe that was BC2.

Its actually more comfortable playing on Mattherson with a 120 - 180 ping than it is on Miller with a 50 - 100 ping. I never feel screwed over when I have a high ping. And those times you die (very frequently) now where the game front loads all the enemies damage so it seems like you die out of nowhere to 1 shot from an SMG, most frustrating thing in gaming. Sad that the game is harshest on low ping players.
    Its hilarious pushing competitive play with netcode like this.
    • Up x 1
  20. Chowley

Its nothing to do with ports, the issue is caused by the other person slow connection. And yes I do have my ports open :p Must be fun assuming everyone else is an idiot by the way o_O