Opinion Poll: Artillery

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CursoryRaptor, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wobberjockey

infiltrators need more to do. make it so they carry target designators that are necessary for artillery to function.

and its not like the massive tracers wouldn't make arty lib and ESF bait.
    • Up x 2
  2. Nogrim313

just some ideas..

1. have artillery leave persistent weapon trails when firing and a clear visual to attract Aircraft to the firing position.
    2. artillery weapon projectiles should travel with high arcs and slow speed over very large distances.
    3. the new mission system could also work well with artillery, allowing squad leaders to request fire support
    4. the projectiles should be spot able by enemies while in flight, this would then issue a voice call out of "incoming artillery" etc to their allies warning of the incoming fire. (great reason to have air scouts and close air support)
    5. the vehicle itself should be very fragile and slow.
    6. the main gun (rocket/plasma orb whatever) culd be targeted via UAW. much like the recon drone this "vehicle" could launch from the vehicle when deployed (from say seat 2) this drone would then have a range of (i think the limit was 300m?)
    7. this would allow a high aerial position from which to aim the primary "gun" while giving people a way to disable it
    8. drone would be damageable by all types of fire (including G2A and AV missiles) but would regenerate at the vehicle immediately.
    9. drone should have some sort of visual indicator as to where its host is located in relation to it (an antenna or signal beam connection) that would allow those being shelled to guesstimate the location of the main vehicle
    10. damage versus utility. do we want a bigger dalton, or something akin to a lasher. would a hail of concussion grenades be nteresting?
  3. SteamBoiler

We have artillery in this game, it's called the prowler. Now let's talk about adding tanks in this game for the TR!
  4. Alarox

Just because it doubles as an artillery piece, it doesn't mean it's not a tank.

It just means that you don't like it apparently.
    • Up x 1
  5. Rayden78

Yes i want if it needs a second player marking the targetarea and the shot is sufficently visible to allow countermeasures as soon as the location is known.
  6. Rayden78

Awesome!
    • Up x 1
  7. Armchair

Now imagine the tech plant replying in kind with that huge gun that is just wasting space inside the facility.
  8. Rayden78

This is too much i can't handle it anymore :eek:
    • Up x 1
  9. Sarcasmo

I use the Underbarrel Grenade Launcher on my Solstice SF as a knee mortar of sorts when there are enemies across a large canyon such as Split Peak Pass. I get so many good kills just throwing down an ammo box and lobbing grenades in the general direction of the enemies.
  10. Dragonblood

Maybe if the LA and Inf class a had laser tool to mark a location for bombardment, so the artellerie operator would know where to shoot at.
  11. JudgeDeath

Artillery is a bad idea in a game like this, sure its fun for the guy raining down the ungodly hellfire but for everyone else .... not so much.

Technicly you could make it work if the projectile arcs were clearly visible for a LONG distance. This would allow air units to seek and destroy the artillery.

Artillery would have to be slow and weak with a long deploy timer. It would have to be rather inaccurate. Need to coordinate with another class in the game for targetting would be mandatory for getting shots even in the right ballpark.

Still It would just allow a large attacker to shutdown the enemy base even before surrounding it with tanks and million lolpodders.

All in all ... I'd rather not.

[IMG]
  12. Crackulous

I'd rather not get nuked by a source that cannot be identified nor located.
  13. DrPapaPenguin

No, because if Battlefield 3 taught us anything is that Mortars were an absolute failure from the start.
  14. ColonelChingles

I actually enjoyed BF3 mortars. Slow firing, low damage (only killed on a direct hit), small splash radius, rendered the infantry operator immobile and vulnerable (especially to counter battery fire), and lit up your position on the minimap. If you were the target, all you would do to avoid being hit was slightly move. As such the BF3 mortar was only good against campers, snipers, and other mortars. Wouldn't mind those in PS2.

Also an anti-zerg artillery would be nice. Too inaccurate to hit a single target but decimates clumps. Would do wonders to break up a camping zerg.
  15. Littleman

Mortars and artillery, like snipers, are not fun to get shot by. Can't see them coming until too late. The only solution is to not stop moving, and that's mostly still akin to gambling with your life. "Keep moving" is a really $#!%%& form of counter play. People like to be able to retaliate. Firing a weapon isn't skilled play if it's done without the fear of immediate retaliation. It's just like shooting in the VR, only there's exp attached.

The game could use a dedicated tank destroyer weapon though. The lightning's AP turret kind of suffices, but it's really a weaker AP Vanguard cannon.

Actually, the Lightning serves as a destroyer of all things, except it really does just use a weaker Vanguard HE/HEAT/AP cannon, else they use the anti-infantry explosive magnum or the totally-never-got-quality-tested-by-NS-labs machine gun Skyguard.
  16. InoxGecko

Yes, but for the sake of balance and enjoyment...NO. I rage when a Zepher lib is camping a spawn, getting bombed by 15 artillery pieces from 1km away would just ruin this game for me. Hell, even tank zergs are annoying as hell.
  17. Rayden78

With a fairly slow reload speed like 5-10 seconds and low accuracy i think it would be nice to do some surpression fire and bascially the artillery is useless to capture the base as you randomly shell a larger area.
  18. DrPapaPenguin

Oh no no no, that was AFTER the nerf hit them. When they came out, they basically had a one-kill splash as large as the target reticle they used. That's not really the point I went for though, the point being is they drained available infantry. You'd always had a bunch of people trying to mortar instead of attacking, and after the nerf it was basically pointless anywhere but on a city map. And even then mostly for basecamping. If you get artillery in PS2, you'll see half of the attacking team camping inside them, and no one going for points at all. And I'm reasonably sure they won't need a direct hit to kill like the after-nerf mortars.
  19. doombro

No.

You could argue that it adds "depth" to the game, but the only real depth we'll get from it is several layers of frustration.
    • Up x 1
  20. VakarisJ

Artillery is both boring to use and annoying to deal with. It has no place in any form of an FPS. Unless it's AI controlled like in ArmA 2, but you can't compare that game to this one for numerous reasons.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.