How Technologically Unevolved We Really are in the PS2 Universe

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Halcyon, Feb 15, 2014.

1. SinerAthin

I guess whenever you get thirsty/hungry/exhausted, you simply put a bullet in your own head and respawn all fresh and rested :D
    • Up x 2
  2. Jaedrik

"We care ENORMOUSLY about the story and lore. But we care about gameplay more." - Blizzard Entertainment.
  3. Being@RT

Hmm.. stuff to drink by server name?

Everyone knows Miller, but let's see about some of the others..

Briggs:
    [IMG]

Cobalt:
    [IMG]

Ceres:
    http://3.bp.************/-yv3DGYjwQgE/T-IBKi42p0I/AAAAAAAAAhs/bRuwRNakYpU/s1600/Ceres%2BPapaya.jpg

Woodman:
    [IMG]

Anyone got examples for Mattherson, Waterson and Connery? Connery is pretty hard to google for without getting lots of champagne bottles with Sean Connery, although Dom Perignon could be fine for that server :p
    • Up x 3
  4. Bibibla

It's not too hard to compute the "gravity", say from the heigth and duration of a fall from a galaxy. That's just basic physics.

But there is no point to this because SOE use "gravity multiplier", which means some projectile suffer for more "gravity" than other.

In fact there is almost no point to this thread at all. You guys just have to realized that in reality, Planetside 2 is a video game (I know, that's a harsh truth...) And it has nothing to do with the year 2300.

When this basic truth will have made it's way deep into your mind, you'll be able to enjoy the game peacefully.
  5. Plunutsud pls

I always love a good trolling!

Great post and have my thumbs up! :D
  6. Devrailis

Mattherson subsists on tears.
    • Up x 1
  7. Halcyon

How about this.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  8. Eldenmoor

I'm pretty sure Planetside is really like Hunger Games or some such.

The real TR, NC and Vanu leaders are sitting together in their lounge, sipping drinks and watching the big monitors while they place bets. The "soldiers" think they are fighting for a cause, but it is really just a kind of hamster wheel.

They all agree it is more fun to limit their soldier's equipment for the amusement factor. Pass the caviar.
  9. Takoita

Imgaine that unlucky dude who got recorded into the cloning matrix hungry, tired and sleep-deprived. Not only he'll have to die and die again until nanites run out, but he couldn't even feel refreshed upon a new 'birth' like all others do.
  10. Aegie

You really think that helmet would stop a round from an assault rifle?

Perhaps, I am not an expert or anything but I highly doubt it. Even still, stopping the round is a little irrelevant, especially if you're being hit in the head- even in the absence of penetration you would experience acceleration and deceleration forces so strong that it would probably kill you (think intracranial hemorrhaging from diffuse brain injury). The kinetic energy in the round has to go somewhere and IRL the "harder" you stop the round in the helmet (the less penetration into the armor) the faster that kinetic energy is transferred to the body, or head (F=M*a, so holding the mass of the round constant we see that the faster the round comes to a stop the greater the force a la greater magnitude of a). This is why we have crumple zones in cars- places designed to give way at lower force and slow the deceleration of impact- this is also why airbags are superior to seat belts because the air bag slows your acceleration and deceleration rather than simply arresting you at a stop. So, if that helmet could reliably stop an AR round I would think you would still suffer severe head and spinal injury if you were to survive that kind of impact force at all.
  11. vulcan78

7.62 dropping two feet at 100 yards? You got the data for this? I spent eight years with the active U.S. Army (1997-2005 25th ID, OEF Afghanistan 2004-2005, 68S Aircraft Armament) and frequented the range twice a year. From my experience, at least with 5.56, there is next to no bullet drop of any kind at 100 meters. I could consistently hit the 200 and even 250 meter pop up target from the prone position aiming center-mass. I did not have to aim a foot above the targets head at this distance. This is using the iron sights, let alone a 12x scope as in the game.

When I refer to exaggerated bullet-drop found in PS2, I am referring to that of the BASR, which seems to be about 2-3 feet at 300 meters WITH A 12x scope. Come on now, I mean, if I could hit a target at this range with an iron sight with a glorified .22 caliber round (5.56 is essentially same caliber as .223) you would think that a BASR, which presumably is .308 or even .50 caliber, (don't know about the VS equivalent, probably "Big Plasma" as opposed to the typical "Small Plasma") would exhibit next-to-no bullet drop at these distances. 5.56 is a small caliber bullet, meaning it has less mass and therefore inertia and is more susceptible to the vagaries of the intervening air-space between the end of a rifle muzzle and its target, especially at greater distance.

I just did a little internet research and found this page that shows the ballistic profile for 7.62x54 of various type:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

A commonly used type, the 1971 USSR steel soft-point type, shows only 5 inches of drop at 250 meters. In fact, as you will notice by viewing the ballistic profile, and this is a trait shared by 5.56, the bullet actually rises a few inches for the first 100 meters or so:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo025.htm

I don't know where youre getting your information but I don't think it is any good, speaking again from personal experience at the rifle range. No offense.
    • Up x 1
  12. Robyn

Well one atlast is coming *begins to grind the last 220 certs until 1000*
  13. LordCreepy

800m/s handheld railgun?

This is a Railgun

I am all for the "farting" noise on your new sniper rifle tough --> you know.. for **** and giggles
  14. Robyn

Atlast we are rich i vitamin NC = NC last WDS second scored even without overpop
  15. vulcan78

Additionally, it isn't simply the exaggerated bullet-drop that I have an issue with, it is the unrealistic muzzle velocity. There are many times where I will line up a 250-300 meter shot with a BASR, wait for the target to settle down, hold my breath, uncloak, and fire a round to find that within the bullets 2 second? travel time at this distance the target has decided to move for whatever reason. This happens a lot. In most other first person shooters and in real life there shouldn't be a 2 seconds bullet travel time at 250 meters, it should be nearly instantaneous.

In real life, presuming the BASR is modeled after a .308 lapua, the muzzle velocity should be around 1k m/s per second, nearly double what it is in the game (XM98: 550 m/s, Parallax: 650 m/s) You shouldn't have to worry about your target moving while a bullet is in transit at only 250 meters. You should pull the trigger, and at this distance, within .25 seconds the round finds its mark NOT 1-2 seconds.

1,000 M / 250 M = .25 second

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Lapua_Magnum

I have a big problem with this as it is an extremely common occurrence. What does 550 meters a second look like in game? Go to the 3:25 mark in the following video. The suppressed version of the battle-rifle is 550 m/s. Now tell me, is this reminiscent of an actual high powered rifle round or an arrow fired from a bow in Skyrim?

Come on SOE, time to "uncartoon" the game. Greater realism is something to strive for, this game is a joke.
  16. Hatesphere

you should really read the rest of the thread, it was a typeo, was meant to be 300 yards.
  17. Tuco

You're thinking too hard again.
  18. Hatesphere

realism usually makes for a boring game.
  19. RenegadeHelios

"Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away....."

Suddenly, lightsabers, podracers, the ultimate sky-whale known as a Super Star Destroyer, and a magical force field that most of the Empire deemed h4x. 'Nuff said.

I fully support this alternative past dimension doohickey. Timey wimey stuff.
  20. KnightCole

But its not very Rail gunny feeling. It should have some very Railgunish audio and graphics.