Game Performance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VanuZuma, Jan 8, 2014.

1. VanuZuma

Okay first off, gotta say I really love this game. Its the most played game on my comp out of many. But...........I still don't understand why I have minor issues running this thing

Stats are in sig and I know I have to be on the high end of most rigs out there, so my question is what is wrong with my computer, or is the game just still this poorly optimized.

I don't really have any major issue or even what most people would consider and issue at all, but this game just doesn't run all that smooth from time to time. I will be getting 70+fps and the gameplay feels like garbage. This issue is a lot more present when flying or driving vehicles where its most noticeable. One minute I will have 100+fps and the next im down to 45. Am I the only one that its this random for or are other people still experiencing this?

And again even with high FPS it feels like something is wrong. Keep in mind this is probably only 10% of the time, but its enough to wonder what is going on and what could be wrong with my system. I play anything currently out right now on Ultra and don't really have issues like this. Is it SLI? or is it just the games code? Anyways some days it really gets on my nerves and other times it doesn't bother me so much. More or less I would just like to know if it isn't just me.

Maybe PU3 will change my world, but I kinda doubt it. I feel like before they did all the OMFG and PU my game ran better. Am I crazy?
  2. LordMondando

'it feels wrong' isunt really much to go on.

Also the SLI is ****** at the moment, and has been publised as such for a while, turn that off it won't be helping.
  3. Chipay

Planetside 2 has problems with SLI systems.
  4. VanuZuma

I swear SLI used to work great, at what point did it go to ****?
  5. LordMondando

Its in the patch notes for PU01.
  6. VanuZuma

So any news on when multi GPU systems will be considered part of the game experience again?
    ?
  7. Goden

60fps in PS2 looks worse than 30fps in something like AC4 or Skyrim. I don't know what it is but PS2 always looks stuttery and chunky even when running at consistent high FPS.
  8. MadBeef

First of all, nice rig!

With your setup I would just disable SLI for PS2 like others said, should run fine without. Also, did you try the smoothing setting under graphics options? It supposedly stabilizes your fps so it doesn´t fluctuate as much.

I run 2xhd6970´s in crossfire by the way and have no probs there so it isn´t a multi-gpu thing as much as an SLI thing I´d say. But hey, we don´t get the fancy PhysX you guys do so we all have to give and take a little.

Also, while I can run the game pretty much on ultra myself, in massive battles (48+ vs 48+) I much prefer running close to medium with just textures, terrain and lightning to high because big battles like that do impact your framerate quite a bit and I prefer having a smooth, constant 60fps gameplay (my monitors refresh rate) than fancy graphics but fps occassionally dropping down to like 40 which is quite noticeable on my 1920x1080 HDTV.

My rig is nowhere near close to yours though. (8gigs ram, i5 2500k, 2xhd6970, SSD for Planetside 2 but Windows on regular harddrive).
  9. AstronomerWithAGun

I spent all this money on a 3-GPU crossfire set up just to find that when I enable crossfire my FPS goes to sub-30. When I disable crossfire my FPS shoots back up to over 60.

SOE says:

"Greetings AstronomerWithAGun,

As we do not offer any official support for Crossfire or SLI Setups our best suggestion would be to not use this feature with PlanetSide 2. You may also want to ensure that your current power supply supports your Crossfire set up for best results.

If you have any additional questions for us please let us know and we will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Sean F.
    Technical Support Representative, Tier 2
    Sony Online Entertainment"

That's B.S.
  10. VanuZuma

I feel like the whole situation with PS2 is like buying the best looking most wanted exotic car on the market only to buy it and find out it has a base civic motor under the hood. Kinda makes the rest of it not so appealing.
  11. NC_agent00kevin

Turn off SLI and cap your frames to avoid the wild swings in FPS. 100 to 60 and back and forth will screw up your aiming and general flow. Cap it around your lowest and you'll find it feels a lot better.