Did I get ripped of?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RockISonner, Jan 13, 2014.

1. RockISonner

Hi there. The reason for this post is that I recently purchased this PC:http://www.extremegaming.dk/#!z-1-gaming-pc/c21oz

These are the specs:

Intel i3-4130 - 3,4 GHz CPU - Stock Cooler
    MSI B85-41 Haswell Motherboard
    8 GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz
    Nvidia GTX650 TI 1GB GPU
    Corsair 550W PSU

As my technical knowledge of PC's is limited please tell me if I forgot to add something.

The nice man at the store told me this PC would be fine to play Planetside 2 on and with decent settings. Alas, I keep crashing. After submitting a ticket with SOE support I have tried countless things but nothing seems to be working. SOE support tells me to turn everything down to minimum but I still crash.

Today I installed NVIDIA GeForce experience and that program also tells me that I need to turn down my graphics to something that, quite frankly, resembles Duke Nukem 3D. Have I been scammed into buying a ****** PC that will never run PS2 without crashing?

TL;DR: I can't understand why SOE and Nvidia Geforce experience seems to think my new 1200 dollar PC is a commodore 64.

Cheers.

Sonner

PS: No idea what happened to the font and how to change it. Duuhhhh:confused:
  2. l0lx5x0r

Yes you did get ripped off. Almost every time you're buying a pre-assembled pc, you're getting ripped off.

Your PC specs, are not the reason planetside keeps crashing though.
  3. ZEPLN

I personally would not have bought an i3 for a gaming rig, and you bought into a last-gen graphics card with a substandard amount VRAM in my opinion, but it shouldn't be unplayable. As for whether you got ripped off or not, yes. 1200 dollars could have carried you a lot farther if you built the rig yourself, and building computers is not that tough anymore (pretty much plug and play these days).
  4. RockISonner

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I'm just wondering if the PC really is so bad that I should have to run everything on low? Nvidia Geforce Experience recommends 0 render distance aswell.
  5. Paulus

That's not the worst PC I've seen play PS2, but it is definitely an entry level machine as far as the CPU goes. You do however have several things in your favour. Your GPU is fine, and you have 8GB of RAM, these are both important factors. All this as side, none of the factors I can see here would result in your machine crashing, the CPU is a little underpowered for PS2, but certainly not to the level where the game will act up.

Regarding your question, you didn't do too bad if you look at the retail price of the parts as follows;

The CPU, which retails at £88 in the UK, your GPU would have cost around £100, the motherboard about £70, and the rest probably about £30 for RAM, £40 for the case, and £40 for the PSU. A total of about £400 worth of hardware if you bought the components separately. So not far off what you paid.

One thing I did notice, it doesn't come with an Operating System pre-installed, what version of windows did you go for?
  6. ZEPLN

You don't want to turn render distance to 0. You'll never see enemies coming. Your specs may be a bit under-powered, but remember that this game is still going through some heavy optimization patches (should have been done when the game left its beta a year ago, but we can't change that now). Even with my rig in my signature, I turned render distance down to 2000 for consistent frame-rate in larger battles.

Honestly, I only use GeForce Experience to tell me when a new driver is out. I never trust the recommended settings they offer. Play with the settings yourself and find the best performance. Leave textures around high, turn render distance down to around 2000, and turn lighting and shadows to low. Turn off smoothing and phsyX if they're on as well.
  7. LordMondando

Ok first and foremost, it was not worth anything close to 1200 dollars. Sorry but thats that, you got badly sandbagged there, and were given a pc with about 1/3rd to half the computing power that something of that equivalent (I don't deal in danish kroner so im going off your quoted dollars figure) should really have.

GOOD NEWS THOUGH!!! EU law is super strict on this, you've been miss-sold, and its important that you don't just have to take this ****. Find out what the danish law relating to this EU directive/law is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Protection_from_Unfair_Trading_Regulations_2008 go back to the people, quote the relevant section on product description and good faith sales and point out that you've been sold an expensive work PC (its the kind of set up you'd use for graphical modeling if you were on a budget.) and watch em squirm.

This **** is not allowed, its one of the biggest banes of PC gaming and these guys deserve to have their trading license put into question.

Anyway... on the PC itself.

Now, It 'should' be fine. The biggest problem it has in terms of performance is the fact its a dual core CPU, which these days is really towards the lower end of the spectrum. PS2 really needs 4 cores or more these days to get the best out as its been pretty heavily mutlithreaded. And the whole intel number of 'threads' jazz, just is not the same as having actual physical cores, clever as the branch prediction and scheduling is.

On the upside your motherboard leaves plenty of room for upgrading to a better CPU in the future, so theres that. Not a complete sandbag..

but a 650ti and i3? for 1200 dollars, some one had a pretty hefy (and unethical and potentially illegal) profit margin on that. For that kind of money, we should be talking about a mid range processor with at least 4 cores, fx 6350 or a i5 of some description and something like a 7870 or 660. A sigificant difference between these and what you were sold these is.

Crashes though are likely not related to your PC specs and are simply the result of a bug. So we can't really blame them for that.
    • Up x 1
  8. DirArtillerySupport

Take out your wallet one more time, upgrade the CPU to an i5-4670K and chalk the rest up to experience.
  9. Hypersot

I personally agree with LordMondando. Even if you don't get your money back, it's worth a shot going to the store and make a fuss about it. If we, as customers, never react then they will just keep doing it as long as they can afford to.
    • Up x 1
  10. LordMondando

No, we have consumer rights laws in the EU for a reason.
  11. Paulus

With regard to price, they are in Danish Krone, so that's 786.57 US Dollars (or 868.47 Australian Dollars) not $1,200.
  12. LordMondando

Ok well that changes things quite a bit.

either way, he's been misssold on it being a gaming machine, i'd still take it back and think about putting the time in to build one himself.

Its really not as scary as people think, at worst its as difficult as particularly hard lego in which you have to be careful about not generating a static charge and you can still do significantly, better for around 800 dolllars.

Had I bothered to do the conversion myself I would have noticed, but my intital assement was based on around 1200 dollars, which is "lol what time to start making threats about the office of fair trading" level.
  13. Botji

I have to agree with the people saying to go back to the store. It might be worth calling them and ask to talk to the store manager boss guy.

I have found its usually much easier to deal with the people running the place rather than employees trying to cover their ***** when they have done a bad deal... I guess for them it might be easier to just force the customer to accept the purchase than to explain to their boss why there is a furious customer demanding a refund.
  14. TheAppl3

Erm... my PC cost $1,200 or so about a year ago. (minus the 3tb drives)

Note the difference, see sig. You didn't get scammed, you got obliterated.

Your PC is worth like $550-650.

Side note: Google is telling me that 4300 Kroner is closer to $780US, are you sure you meant to say $1200? At $780 it's still a rip-off, but not nearly as bad.
  15. Amarsir

If it's new, take it back. Whether or not their price was fair for a pre-assembled, the fact was those parts are not as capable as he led you to believe. Nothing with an i3 is a current gaming rig.

You want an i5. The i5-4770k is popular and reasonably priced. The video card is more complicated because there's no logic to their naming system, but that's not usually the bottleneck for PS2 anyway. Considering all they're doing is sticking a card in a slot and adding a markup, you're probably better off buying a system without a graphics add-on and then adding your own anyway. But even if you go with an included one, get someone who's honest enough to sell you the right machine.
  16. TheAppl3

That doesn't exist. You mean a 4670k or an i7-4770k. The 4670k is glorious, the 4770k is a waste for gaming.

Agreed that you can sometimes find decent deals for good systems minus a video card, but consider the weak/generic PSU as well.
  17. RockISonner

18. RockISonner

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, uhm, seems my math was off :) I paid a total of 915 dollars for it, incl. pre installed windows 7. I think the price might actually have been in the range we generally see in Denmark, as we have a gazzilion extra taxes(but get paid more)

But everyone agrees I should just upgrade? :)
  19. kthor

$1200 lol ... if you dont know how to build one, ask around, friends, family, co-workers neighbors ...always someone nerdy enough who will want to think they are important and help you lol
  20. S7rudL

Upgrade the CPU, get the i7-4770k. : P
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

I think you mean the MSI B85-G41 which is a LGA 1150 board, do take a note of the sockets.

Looks like the same debate about the i5 2500k vs i7 2600k, waste of money etc,..
    I'm glad I went with the more expensive i7 2600k since its more multimedia friendly and slightly has more performance.