Infantry weapon changes - 12/12/2013

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by joshua, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Ionchild

Horrible changes for the most part. Sony listens to forumside way too much. Subbed for a year, recently canceled. Glad I did. You can all have my things but they are useless now anyway.
  2. Mexiguy

And exactly how infiltrators got buffed?
  3. WyrdHarper

An effective doubling of OHK headshot range from 76m to 150m, and more for the change that allows them to shoot further. These are good things, in my opinion, as it makes snipers better able to support their squads.
    • Up x 1
  4. Sandpants

300m one shot range. Assuming you can hit the head of course, but considering that no infantry fights happen beyond about 100m, this is really really dumb. 300m is for a lot of bases the distance to the next base.

It should have stayed 150m. Maybe 200m max.
    • Up x 1
  5. Mexiguy

Funny how people tend to forget how all 9 bolt action rifles are pretty much capable of deliverin OHK headshots from 300m on Live but after this changes only the ones designed for long-range will retain this ability, which means that unless you have a Longshot, RAMS .50M or Parallax you got nerfed.
    • Up x 1
  6. mavix

I really didn't like hearing these changes coming to the bolt-action rifles but after trying it on the test server it's not that bad.
    Using the V10 I can still get all the long range headshots that I'd expect. 250m seems a lot longer when you test it out. But it is annoy when you get over that line and won't get the kill like you would a few meters closer. And even further back the damage drops so that it will take 3 or more hits for a kill.
    The problem I have with this now is that the AV turret is a better sniper platform which can also destroy tanks at many times the rifle range and sometimes 50m+ out of draw distance.
  7. Scientiarum

Does anyone know if there is a weapons spreadsheet out that pulls data from the test server client? I would LOVE to see that, especially now.
    • Up x 1
  8. CleanUpGuyCZ

Calm down, here are a lot of not full time snipers, who are happy, but i would like to give the word to a in writing more talented man, so read his thread and think about the non objective ******** you wrote https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/long-range-sniping.157527/ . And don't forget, most bases exclude snipers from sniping.
    • Up x 1
  9. Posse

TL;DR: Shotgunside is back
  10. KodiakX

So basically they caved and gave snipers their one shot kills from any range (because any semi-casual sniper will have one that reaches out to 250m - 300m which covers almost all actual engagement/render ranges) because they didn't want to also have to rebalance the higher end sniper rifles with other bonuses.

Why would they even waste their time explaining how this game lacks the normal sniper lanes of traditional FPS games which makes them nervous about giving snipers the OHKs of those games then only to go full ****** in the other direction and give double and triple the amounts they originally suggested...

...same ol' silly DEV team that brought you unbalanced nonsense like ZOE, Fractures, the OHK Phoenix and countless others...
    • Up x 2
  11. Ralathar44

People need to chill:

LMG's shoudn't be hipfiring aside from extreme close quarters. This is fair, even with the SAW people complain about the terrible hip-fire on I performed well enough CQC. Now LMG's will be more ADS, more medium range weapons or bursting to provide suppression. They can still burst at long range and tag people consistently as well.

If you are a heavy and want better CQC power? You have options. SMG's and shotguns are available. Now you just have to suffer trade-offs for it instead of having everything. Poor you. It's not like you don't have shields as a CQC advantage or rockets as a mid-range combat advantage....oh wait, yeah.... (I like my heavy, but this patch makes him more balanced)

Sniper change won't be a big deal. It'll mean that snipers that can actually land shots from that range, no easy feat, will actually get the kill now. Many people will snipe for 1-2 weeks and then realize they can't hit heads at that range lol.

The 0.75% change seems to be properly implemented for some weapons and poorly implemented for others. The issue doesn't seem to be the recoil on some weapons because for those that realize that you can burst fire instead of spray some are still performing well. However, some of the weapons appear to have gained RANDOM recoil, which is not good. The recoil needs to be predictable so it can be compensated for with aim. It'll still make the gun less accurate overall, but the randomness of the recoil on SOME of the weapons is currently killing them.
    • Up x 3
  12. Tenebrae Aeterna

Perhaps it was because they realized that they were trying to base their logic off new gen games that aren't anything like Planetside 2, rather than games which have huge maps and still incorporate long ranged sniping with the one hit kill? Before Counterstrike popularized the small map oriented first person shooter, there was Delta Force: Land Warrior...which had extremely huge maps with battlefields similar to Planetside 2, many made by the players themselves using the creator tools available. Narrow lanes and small maps were never the methodology behind balancing out the one hit kill.................they were simply games that couldn't incorporate long ranged sniping because they didn't have the map size to do it like games before them. It didn't suit their small map playing styles, which Counterstrike popularized.

With that said, they seem to be specializing the rifles to perform best within their respective area.
  13. RogueVindicare

You know, I have to ask something. Why were the weapons with 0.75 ADS movement ALSO generally they weapons with the best hip-fire?

If a weapon was meant to have hip-fire as it's primary usage/role, why would those SAME weapons be given an ADS movespeed advantage? Half the time, you're not using it! You're hip-firing! Why the hell does a CQC weapon need 2 separate, distinct advantages at the same time?

Why aren't there any marksman style, mid or long ranged weapons with better move-speeds? These are weapons people ACTUALLY AIM DOWN THE SIGHTS WITH.
  14. Kociboss

Same with TAR.
  15. teks

oh how the mighty have fallen. I never used the TAR but I heard it was awesome.

How bad are the laser sight nerfs? The test server doesn't cooperate with my main install, so I can't see myself. I'd like to know how bad my vx6-7 is gonna be after this.
  16. teks

I agree. Thats why i like the vx6-7 over the TR flavor (lynx I think).
  17. Badname0192

Tested the EM6 at about 8 meters with a medium range load out, first shot of every burst was so random it was stupid. This will be bad if it goes live.

I suspect baddies are behind these ideas.
  18. Phos!

I like what I guess works out to a sniper buff.

On the other hand I think you need to be careful about balancing down.

Yeah, a quick mess around in VR has me thinking these LMG hip CoF nerfs are a little much. This is also going to make the orion even better than it already is by virtue of its better ADS move speed. I think this change also pushes certain fan favorite LMGs such as the MSW-R into a grey territory where they aren't really great at much of anything.

I think what SOE was going for was making a squad composition without a clear front line, the way this game plays, infantry fights don't really have one unless there's a MAX around.

This really pigeonholes LMGs into a very situational type of weapon.
  19. Catch23

Problem is (testing on PTS) that the 0,75 move weapons are even affected by this change if you don't specicially try to use this trait/ ADS strafe. Move-accuracy is the most most important stat on CQC carbs in practical gameplay and this is now so bad, that these are performing worse than 0,5 move carbs at short distance. The Trac5 with regular laser (peer of the Merc) is really the better option now from 5-100m. although inferior to ALS SMGs till 30m. The Jaguar used to be better than the Trac5 at + 50m and better than SMGs at any distance.
    this is an indirect buff to SMGs, Shotguns and carbs that were underperforming like the GD7-F. If this goes in, TR just lost both their CQC carbines. The best weapon for a non-sniper LA is now the Blitz.

the 0,75 trait has been nerfed so badly that it makes some weapons a no-option. If you'd ask the players using them, they would agree that they would rather have the trait removed or give it to other factions as well. like I proposed it, well before this nerf came in.

remove 0,75 move speed or give it to all
    • Up x 1
  20. Catch23

tested again.

Trac5 not really a CQC Option due to overall laser sight acuracy modifier reduction, same goes for the Merc. it was really borderline before.
    Jaguar still ok but not as good as it used to be. While that's ok in principle it is the wrong way to do it. adding randomness to balance stuff is never a good way because randomness is annoying and drives people off.

SMGs, shotguns now. I habe 6.000 shotgun kills in PS2 and although others have much more, I was so bored by shotgun play on my NC LA that I quit the game. SMGs are even more boring. you don't aim, you point. if these are the best choices for my class than I will lose interest again. it's too boring. I like versatility per class. In fact everyone does to a certain extend otherwise there youldn't be Jack-of-all-trades-classes in any game. We don't want this in PS2 but limiting playstyle is always the worst option.

just dump the 0,75 modifier altogether if you can't help it.
    • Up x 2