Please Save me from terrible Frames...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by gyzair, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Cryless

I recommend you to forget about this game. or at least stop playing it till you get a better pc.
    nothing can save you from low frames because this game is using a "wonderful" game engine, if you get what I mean, that's why I stopped playing it!

and another tip... don't invest money in it if you don't plan to buy a better pc. don't make the same mistake as I did!
  2. gyzair

Here is where I could disagree with you slightly. I had this conversation with a friend yesterday. If I bought a graphics card for my computer, It wouldn't be for JUST Planetside 2. Other games I have I could play at better qualities. Its a win-win in most other places. So when buying a graphics card, or thinking about it, its not just about Planetside 2. Its about making my PC better.

Otherwise, thank you for the comment. I may still continue playing as to me, it still feels playable. And since my pc isn't dying from playing this game, whether checking my CPU tempuratures to see if they're at normal, or if my ram is being slowly chipped away somehow, I don't have a reason not to play if I still can. It'll be rough, but im patient. And if in the future, my performance increases because of patches, then all i could say to that is 'yay!'
  3. LordMondando

Its significantly improved actually these days.

Unfortunately for our friend the OP, the APU chip he's using simply does not have the grunt, in terms of its CPU or GPU component to keep up with the amount of stuff going on. Even far later (NOT I AM NOT SAYING NEWER, there are actually sigificant architecture developments going in AMD's APU line, the full blown architecture intergration HSA push next year, might really be a big deal) models of A8's and A10's are going to struggle with PS2. Graphically its not 'that' intensive, yes. ITs not certaintly not nothing, but CPU wise its going to be pushing them to if not beyond their limits. Then you have the tricky fact of sharing ram.... without being able to directly share the data in the ram (one of the big things HSA II is going to change), so its its a single pool, only accessible for much over a given time frame, that has two different 'bunches' of data in it, which also have to be swapped back and forth.

Its a problematic architecture at the moment, is our APU. Its why for gamzoring its not going to be the best option over a discrete CPU and GPU with their own ram, even with them having to communicate over a far 'longer' bus. Not to say that won't allways be the case. In fact, if they can get HSA II to work, there are lot of advantages of whanging the CPU and GPU together and having them share ram.

Unfortunate - but thems the breaks im afraid pal.
  4. Irathi

Well Gyzair, you could buy a decent GPU like the HD 7870 or R9 270X / GTX 660ti / GTX 760. It would significantly improve your fps and you can bring that GPU over to any new computer you build.

It should also allow you to OC the CPU to the absolute limit as it will not be heated by the GPU part of the APU anylonger.

The mistake people do is buying low end hardware that only lasts one year in terms of performance.
  5. gyzair

This is true, I could buy something to make my PC better. If I had a job. I'm not a giant computer geek or genius, so I don't really know too much about computer hardware. Thank you for the suggestion.
  6. Irathi

Well here is a comparison between an A8-3850 and the Phenom II X4 940. The A8-3850 runs 400 mhz faster than yours, which should be obtainable.

I had a Phenom II X4 950 before and it would let me play battlefield 3 at 1920x1080 with all settings high when I coupled it with a HD7950 and i'd have anything from 45-65 fps. If you OC'd your A8-3850 and got one of the GPU's i suggested I bet you would get at least 35-40 fps at 1920x1080 with all settings high except for shadows set to low. Also + 4 gb of ram.

A second hand GTX 660ti would be perfect for you, it has more juice than your CPU can handle, but it also has enough juice to play games if you decide to upgrade to the new Kaveri generation (14th jan release) or an intel build. The i3-4330 and i5-3470 or i5-4670K springs to mind as good upgrades. However don't forget that when upgrading CPU you will need a new motherboard as well as the one you currently have (FM1) has no upgrade paths.
  7. gyzair

Thanks for the suggestions. If i'm in the market for graphics cards and whatever to upgrade my pc, i'll look at those. For now, i'm stuck with what i got.