Any word on them giving this game a point?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Arsinek, Dec 7, 2013.

1. hansgrosse

The best way to give the game more of a sense of "purpose," imo, is to add more stuff to do, add tangible consequences to faction achievements, and add some lore-provided weight to each faction's actions. To do this, we need to make the game more complicated.

Add logistical roles to the game via resource system revamp. Add reconnaissance roles to the game with some sort of scouting and/or espionage system. Make base capture have a tangible effect on the surrounding outposts, exact effect to be determined by the type of influencing base and the individual outpost. Make capture of a continent have some sort of meaningful effect beyond resource discounts. Maybe even provide intermittent newscasts from the "homefront" for each faction, detailing how their success or failure in the war is affecting the non-combatants back home; less territory control means less resources for the civilian populations and therefore harder times.

A sense of purpose will keep players fighting, and sense of purpose must be created through diversified roles, weight-of-achievement, and story-driven incentive. It can certainly be done. The game's developers simply need to find the time and, more importantly, the motivation to do it.
  2. Sandpants

Yes I do think that. Air would suffer with lack of space. But air is practically useless anyway.

How does one play planetside 2 apart from killing or dying? There is just one more thing that this game requires to function - sunderers. That is the only other element PS2 introduces into the mechanics of an FPS - sustainability of spawns, and it's nothing new.

So I'm not expressing dissatisfaction with the way I play when there is really about 3 things to do in this game, the rest is just a variation of those.

To expand, the issue I have is that this game contradicts itself. No one really cares to become the ruling faction of a continent when farming a stalemate gains your more CERTS. Which is what this game is about. Anyone who says this game is about capturing bases is lying to everyone, even him/herself. Whether you capture bases by your own desire or not is another story. But it is not a united goal. The base countdown timer just shows how soon you need to recap the point to continue farming at this base if by some odd chance you aren't bloody tired of crossroads or quartz-ridge.

This game is about certs NOT because I want it to. It's by design. And TBH that's not the important part. The importance of this is that the majority of certs are gained by killing. Which is what turns this game into an endless TDM and not a giant turn based strategy which would have happened if the majority of certs were gained by capping a base. It would actually encourage people to do look forward to something. To push for everything rather than the typical stagnation and choke points.

If you do not see an issue with this I bet folding a paper propeller and blowing air on it will entertain you for hours.

And what do you mean by step up? Should I pick a flash and drive in the empty spaces of the inbetween bases land of the continents? Assuming I could clench my teeth trying to drive the useless thing, I might say this game is pretty at most. Then I could look outside my window and consider spitting on my monitor.

There is literally one enjoyment in this game - killing packs of players and feeling proud that their cumulative presence didn't catch you going for it. Saying there is anything else just means watching paint dry falls onto the same list.
  3. Shadowyc

Fun is only in winning. Losing means failure. Failure is never fun. :p More so when you believe every loss is entirely likely your fault through inadequacy.
  4. Liquid23

that's why I play so drunk even when we lose I think we won... I always have fun that way

remember kids playing PS2 sober is like driving a car sober, sure technically you can do it but it isn't nearly as much fun
    • Up x 2
  5. Kumaro

It's coming. Sadly no one seem to consider that smaller changes can add interesting new challenges and situations to the game to.

And also to many posts in this thread makes me shudder. Non creative indifference of Stat farmers getting a kick out of their K/D or what??
    horrible just horrible. I don't like the game as it currently is but the potential it has is like the holy grail of combined arms warfare gaming.

current game is to simple. It's to easy nothing is a real challenge. Sure you think it's fine as it is. Go on being drones running down the lanes and throw easy money at SOE in micro transactions.

For me i want what this game can become. And to be like it is described at the front page.
    Large scale FPS combat
    RTS like tactics and strategy.
    Taking a base should be several steps and pushes trough different defences. The result should be noticeable and have an impact on the surrounding area. Both in functions and strategically.

Fighting in the field should be like a front-line. Slow pushes from cover to cover and reliance on support. Awesome explosions and tracer fire all over the place.
    Not a 200-300 meters tug of war in the same place day after day. And on continent that are as small as the ones we have should use all of it's space a lot more. There shouldn't be 20 bottle necks. It should 10 large front lines. Indar have areas the size of 1 to 2 hexes that rarely see actions at all any more. During Beta and early release they where Large front lines of battle. Now they are empty mazes or bottle neck meat grinders. And that is the fault of the Lattice system it completely removed frontlines from indar along with the current map design.

i want to see wide lines of units fighting and pushing. Not like now cramped up in lines like a sales day down at the market.
    I did not install this game for lanes and repetitive grinds. I installed it to fight in grand battles over large areas. This is gone. Yet im still here knowing that the devs can fix this yet for some reason it wont happen.

My point in this game is finding awesome battles not grind fests. I play MMORPGS for those...-w-
    • Up x 2
  6. Dieter Perras

"fine" is not perfect, there's always room for improvement.
  7. Arsinek

From what Ive heard from Higby I think he wants to give the game some sort of overall point or points. Look at the biggest MMO of them all WoW. It has multiple points that all in the end revolve around building your character. The multiple points being winning BGs for rewards, winning arenas for awards, raiding for rewards, crafting for rewards, I guess now they have a little open world objective based PVP that gives rewards. So you have a lot of things you can do to build your character.

So this game has combat that does give rewards but the combat doesn't involve objectives of any importance. You can take territory but its really optional, you dont have to because you can get the same reward not capturing anything. XP, which equals certs, is the only reward and its given for everything. So why do I need to take anything when I can get the same reward just getting frags and repairing vehicles? The game is just really poorly thought out.

Anyway what I was saying about Higby, I think he has ideas that would make the game deeper and give you things to fight for. But I heard Smedley was against this. Which I could see. Its more work for them to develop a deep game, which will cost EA money. Smedley cares about money, thats it. Higby is more the dude who is interested in good games from what I gather.

And I think the continent locking was there attempt at giving some sort of point to the fights. But of course here comes a new money maker, port to consoles! So giving the game a point and new content has been put on the backburner for who knows how long so they can make some money off the consoles.
  8. Tuco

Yeah winning seems empty since it's so easy, and it's so easy because defenders aren't given tools like the PS1 mines, PS1 cloaking AMS, PS1 spitfires, and PS1 motion detectors. You know what I mean.
  9. TheBlindFreak

I don't know about you, but I play for fun. Capping bases, shooting xenophiliacs and communists, flying my reaver, blowing stuff up with my tank... all fun things to do. I don't need an end game scenario. Ironically, that end game scenario would have to be temporary.

Although I do look forward to seeing them implement continent locking.
  10. Tuco

Hehe, remember when you guys said that the lattice would make defending easier, stop the empty town capping,

and I was like, "no the only thing that would stop those things are defensive tools like the PS1 cloaking AMS, PS1 mines, PS1 spitfires, and PS1 motion detectors"

and you guys were like, "no way, the lattice will fix everything."

and I was like, "nope."

Yeah
  11. Liquid23

if you need those toys to be able to defend you are a bad player and should feel bad
    • Up x 1
  12. Tuco

No, your definition of defending is "Attacking without moving forward".
  13. Liquid23

you should probably go ahead and learn what defending actually means because being a pogue doesn't seem to have imparted that to you

again if you absolutely need all those things to be able to defend you suck and probably wouldn't be able to defend even if you had them
    • Up x 1
  14. Tuco

It doesn't mean "attacking without moving forward".
  15. Liquid23

so you think killing the enemy from a fortified position to prevent them from advancing isn't defending? lmao

at this point I'm just going to have to assume you don't have a clue as to what defending a position actualy means and are just trying to cry because you wanted a reskin of PS1 and didn't get it
    • Up x 1
  16. Tuco

• What "fortified positon lmao"?
  17. Liquid23

so you don't know what fortified position means either
    • Up x 1
  18. Tuco

Point one out.
  19. NC_agent00kevin

[IMG]

These thingys.

Ive been playing for just over 1 year now and still not bored. BR92. The regulars in my Outfit are down to about 2 or 3 guys other than me, but I still enjoy the game.
    • Up x 2
  20. Liquid23

if you can't find them than you may need to google the term because that means you don't even know what they are
    • Up x 1