Balance Pass Post 2: Nanoweave and Related Features

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by joshua, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Maljas23

Do you understand that 150m is half of the Phoenix's range? At 150m, you might as well be using a semi-scout or auto-scout rifle. And this isn't even about being useful to your team. Its a limitation that simply makes no sense. That's it. You are welcome to be biased or believe I'm biased. Whatever you want.

Thing is, I don't care if someone is being useless or not when it comes to this change. Things that make no sense is what annoys me here. Same can be said about why the Phoenix no longer one shots infantry, or why the Striker can't be fired without a lock, or why a full charge Lancer head shot does not one shot kill.

These things all make no sense, and i'd like SOE to stop putting in these artificial limitations in a combined arms game like this, but who knows if they ever will. Never hurts to be vocal about it.

Please stop using "oh they're useless anyway" as an excuse for this blunder. Please, I am begging you.
    • Up x 2
  2. sanguin1us

I was waiting for the infiltrator update to fix alot of the issue's with the class, but if this is what's coming to pass...i wish i had a subscription so that i could cancel it in protest...

I also disagree with the "and we'll be monitoring the range once it is live", i've always been a fan of measure twice cut once logic this does not seem well thought out to me...

and i agree with whoever said it, mustarde is gonna love this one...
    • Up x 1
  3. Kociboss

Even the 652/143 dmg tier weapons will become tad more useful (controllable accuracy = moar headshots)
    • Up x 2
  4. Gheeta

Few things i'm worried about:

1. Even lower time to kill - I'm worried we are getting too close to the instant death situations of battlefield 4
    2. Unintentional explosive buff - Make sure you nerf the explosives enough, spamming explosives is way too strong already
    3. New players have no clue they have to keep in 150m to 1hk with bolt action - Might wan't to add some kind of range indicator
    • Up x 3
  5. Vandali

The NC are going to be feeling the pain big time with the change to NW i suspect. TR and VS maxes are already prevalent on the battlefield and have already taken over as the frontline troop. But with the NW nerf, were going to be seeing more and more. I just hope the NC max gets the much needed attention so the NC can have max fun too.

R.I.P heavy. :(
    • Up x 3
  6. nallar

• Up x 3
  7. SquattingPig

You think the new NW5 and resist shield will mitigate over 50% of the damage?
  8. Goretzu

• Up x 1
  9. Snipefrag

Right.. I Snipe, its what i do. Its very rare that i will use my RAM .50 INSIDE of 150 meters. This change would effectively make the RAM 50/Parallax/Longshot and the 12x scope pointless. If you said 200m then maybe i could accept, if you said 150 meters but you can use an implant to increase the range by 50 then fine.

The ONLY thing this does is punish skillful players who can get those long range headshots, its ******* hard unless someone is standing still.. Do we really want to promote stupid game play? or maybe the game should give hints when people die to a sniper to maybe use cover, or run in a non-standard fashion if a sniper is about.. or maybe don't ******* stand still ?!
    • Up x 1
  10. Gladiator

Rarely do I get upset at balance changes, I try to compensate with getting better. But thx for breaking the game for me. Do you know how many times I snipe at 150m? Almost never. Seriously, look at my stats https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428087447813366657
    273 hours of sniping. I've basically used two weapons the entire time, the rams 50 and SR-7 with a 12x scope. I spent money on these things. And now you punish me for being good at sniping? Do you know how many other snipers hang around at the distances which I snipe at? Given any battle, maybe 2. Yeah, we are the real problem here.

Sniping beyond 150 is going to be useless, bolt actions completely useless. A cluster of enemies, hit once and see that person getting healed up back to full before I have even reloaded. No, you shouldn't cap one-shot headshots from any distance. 99% of snipers can't even hit trees from those distances anyway. I can headshot from 300m, that's my reward, specially on moving targets. But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo let's punish players who get good at the game and reward that heavy who's standing still on a hill and just spraying bullets! Or the engis with their out of render distance mana turrets! Yeah we can't have someone taking them out!

Everything about this is just wrong. No distance cap, ever. no.
    • Up x 1
  11. MikeyD

Personally I dont use NV on my LA which is by far by most played class. So I'm pretty pleased the changes :) 150yd is pretty small though, it is a nerf to BASR. I personally dont run NV at all on my LA and its pretty rare, considering the amount of times i get shot at :), that i get 1 shotted by a BASR. I'm looking forward to the slight buff for slug gunners. No NV bonus for headshots is going to help a lot for those builds with high accuracy, low dps weapons.
  12. Goretzu

I can't see why they couldn't have re-learnt a lesson from PS1.

And just make it so infiltrators can lose their cloak to keep the current headshot lengths (equip a "supershotgenerator" in the pistol slot or something), this stops the cheese (long-range "invisible" OSK snipers), but still allows cunning long-range snipers to play.
  13. don

They alwyas implement ***** workarounds for problems instead of looking for other (and better) solutions...e.g. spawns/spawncamping. so much for creativity...

Since i already unsubed a while ago ... is now time to uninstall?
  14. Gladiator

RIP Bolt action. That's what it is.
    • Up x 1
  15. Maljas23

I didn't realize snipers were such a huge problem for people in this game. /shrug
  16. southoz

Well no more OSK Engineer Turret ****** at 400m, seriously this is a ridiculous change and what SOE should have done is increase the bullet drop with range to halfway between current no suppressor and suppressor drop. This will achieve the same goal making it harder for noobs without penalising those that have spent months perfecting suppressor bullet drop out to 350m which will no longer yield an undetected OSK. It takes considerable skill to use an imaginary 6th and 7th grad on the 12x scope after estimating the distance using the headsize and now this skill is completely redundant as there is no way you are going to get a second shot on the head using a bolt action unless the target is afk. In the land of real weapons and not unicorns and rainbows 50 calabre sniper rifles remove peoples heads at 2000m so making the OSK distance 150m is just insanely unrealistic to the point of complete stupidity.

Subscription Cancelled, uninstall pending
    • Up x 2
  17. Goretzu

Yeah it is strange, at least with spawn camping they have the excuse of it being a lot of work to redesign base and continent geography.

Where as with snipers this issue was raised since beta, and suddenly they don't so much fix the problem as change the problem for another other.
  18. FrontTowardEnemy

You don't seem to understand player psychology all that well.

I completely agree that there will be edge case scenarios where there will be players with less than 100% health and snipers will kill them with a OHK head shot past 150m. But again, these are edge cases. Players won't operate with the assumption that most targets aren't at full health. They'll do the opposite.

What non-snipers don't seem to realize is that 150m is plenty close for other classes to engage a target with their carbines/ARs/LMGs etc. Infiltrators need to operate outside said range in order to stay alive. A single missed shot and a hunting party issues forth and that's the end of the infiltrator.

It doesn't matter anyway. If the devs go through with the changes as-is, infiltrators will be the least of everyone's worries. I see so many second and third order balance issues with this, it's hilarious. And I'm going to be right there in the middle of it, exploiting the bad game design as much as possible while it lasts. The devs are opening a can of worms with these changes and it won't be easily fixed. I can't wait.
  19. Cinnamon

I think that these changes are good. A significant buff to bolt actions even if it's not the perfect buff that would make them as powerful as some people want. Risk reward has to be maintained.
  20. Larington

I think it's important to note that these changes will/should land on public test server first at which point the magnitude of the issues will sink in.