Avast Antivirus blocking recent Oct16th update

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by MisterBond, Oct 16, 2013.

1. DukeFlash

The longer this goes on, the more likely I think it's a real problem.
    If it were simply a false-positive, why is it taking to so long to sort out?

I think either it's a full-blown virus infection or it's an overly intrusive bit of code SoE made themselves (i.e. anti-cheat measures).
    I've put up with a lot of problems with this game but this isn't something I would ever tolerate.
    • Up x 2
  2. Imaginaerum

I'm questioning if it really is a false positive or is a real problem. I ran a full system scan the day of the 16th update and it had found 2 potentially dangerous files, which Avast quarantined. Thinking it was just a false positive I proceeded to disable Avast for 10 minutes just so I could successfully update the game. I haven't played since the update, mind you.

Today I ran another full system scan. Avast found 7 potentially dangerous files all in the PS2 file area. So now that it went from 2 to 7 files, I let Avast go ahead and do its thing by deleting/quarantining the files. All other times I've ran a full system scan I never had any issues with this game. Nor did I ever had any issues updating the game.

It may or may not be SOE's problem but until we hear any official response, I'm not playing nor attempting to update this game.
    • Up x 1
  3. Costanza33

Once again, I'm gonna repeat myself: where are your infos coming from? How can you be sure it's only Avast fault? Are you a medium maybe? Seriously give us your source. And by the way, uhmm Emmerald, please don't be condescending with others.
    • Up x 1
  4. equinub

Game is stuffed. Already tonight myself or outfit has run into 3x confirmed hackers, after months of rarely seeing one.
    • Up x 1
  5. Lazaruz

We are waiting SOE...
    And considering my relationship with Avast is longer than the one I've had with you guys, I urge you not to overplay the "just trust us" card.
    • Up x 3
  6. Punisher610

If you allowed the update to complete, its normal that you have more alerts. Avast blocked a file that was going to spread out. If you have alerts in other folders, now its a problem, because then it might be a Virus. But yet, everthing stays in the planetside 2 folder.

I still think its probably a FP.

This said, I hope we gonna hear something ablut SOE today ( something constructive)
    • Up x 1
  7. Thorvaldr

Still can't update the game.

Please fix this SOE.
    • Up x 2
  8. Styrkr

I blame Avast, not SOE.
    If it was malicious, I'm sure people would be seeing effects by now and reported the compromise. It's just a Norton-esq situation.
  9. Mikromancer

I have news!

[IMG]
  10. Lazaruz

So nice that they took the time to post the info through official channels...
    • Up x 2
  11. NCiceman

At least we finally get a response, that should have been posted to this forum.
  12. DukeFlash

Lazaruz sums it up pretty well. So we finally get a response from SoE (not posted on the official forums, btw) and it's basically Higby saying 'trust us, it's Avast! not us'.

I've used Avast! a long time and found it to be as reliable as any anti-virus I ever paid for, if not more so.
    Higby's tweet isn't enough, I'm not returning until the entire thing is resolved.
    It could still be a bit of code SoE made that they're saying 'hey, Avast!, it's cool. Trust us.' and Avast! is saying 'No, that's not good enough'. We're told so little that I have to side on extreme caution. I'm more willing to trust Avast! than SoE.

Take that however you want.
    • Up x 3
  13. RIctavius

Its avast problem, Bullguard doesn't give me any **** about the updates.
  14. JarinArenos

Suspending my recurring payments... previous experience with Sony makes me horribly paranoid here, and I'm busy with other things anyway.
    • Up x 2
  15. Borayl

Given the severity of the Hoblig virus i have no intention of allowing an exception to my system protection, and given that Avasts detection rates are among the best there is (i do have the paid version) if the planetside launcher is doing something that is triggering the antivirus detection then that needs to be looked into, i do not believe in false positives, until SOE or Avast give this program a clean bill of health, then i will remain unsubscribed to this game - if i can't play it im sure not going to be paying for it anymore.
    The sooner SOE gets on top of this the better, because now it is becoming a trust issue.
    • Up x 2
  16. bIlZbUb

After 14+ years of providing online games to tens of thousands of subscribers one would think that SOE pretty much has gained the trust of the public as far as security threats. The anonymous hack of 2012 was an anomaly and if you read up and educated yourself on that situation you would know why it happened and that it has since been fixed and their system is more secure than ever. I added the PS2 folder to the exclusion list in avast and everything now works fine as higby said. If they believed there was a viable threat they would not allow your access to continue and would do something about it immediately. SOE owes you nothing, no certs, no refunds and they have given you an explanation. Install another antivirus and see if it gives you the same reaction. It won't because this is an issue with Avast and needs to be looked into it by them. That's fine, I'm cool with less vanu and NC running around due to silly paranoia anyway. issue fixed for me. see you in game.
  17. Assassin22

all you people who are using avast is a false-positive all you have to do is disable your file system shield you will be fine i've been doing it since the patch came out until they whitelist it im sure there wont be anymore problems so stop being a bunch of whinners and just disable it for the time been it wont hurt you
  18. Thorvaldr

Not even on a bet. Anyone who follows this advice without verification from Avast or SOE is a damned fool.
    • Up x 1
  19. EmmeraldWeapon

You should just uninstall windows... now.. cause Microsoft has had way more years of bug and exploit ridden software than sony.

And to all those who doubted me... publix has buy one get one on tin foil. -_-
  20. EmmeraldWeapon

No, you just use your other sources. Avast is not the be all and end all in AV... in fact while I consider it the best free AV, it is no where near the best AV. It is a good first line of defense... but if something sets it off that I know SHOULDN'T set it off (like patch updates to planetside 2) there are other methods of varifying if it is a false positive... namely throwing the offending file through https://www.virustotal.com/. It is pretty easy to see if something is a threat or not that way.

But by all means, wait for avast and their FREE antivirus and no customer service staff, to do something. ;)
    • Up x 1