Avast Antivirus blocking recent Oct16th update

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by MisterBond, Oct 16, 2013.

1. thatnanoguy

2. LeanV

Bumped. Can confirm this is happening. Hoping I won't have to have my antivirus disabled every time I want to play PS2 from this point on.
  3. Opfer_GV

Give them a break, at least this isn't that serious issue like what was happened with PSO2 (delete HDD data with patch). Just give some time and it will be fixed soon.
  4. Timithos

If you add the steam folder to your exclusions, doesn't that mean you're giving everything you possibly download from Steam a free pass with no scan? Sounds dangerous.
  5. Thorvaldr

Thanks for letting us know you're looking into this.

I'm supposed to run with my outfit tonight and I'm not sure this bug will allow me to login. Pretty frustrated over here.
  6. tralalog

good call, i forgot about that. im not playing until they fix this issue
    • Up x 3
  7. ukiri

On my system PS flagged it as a virus as well as Avast ?
  8. MarteMillerAvast

No reply about this issue from DEV TEAM??
  9. Timithos

They replied in post #40.

Day 2 and I'm losing 38 certs per day on 5 characters.
  10. WezabMAELSTROMEmber

The Way i've gotten around it, Is not to disable Avast Anti-Virus, but to add Steam (or where ever your Plannet Side 2 Folder is located) to the File system shield exclusions list. if you dont know where that is, it should be accessable in the AV's Security Tab. It may also be that the Virus Scanner may be picking up PlannetSide2.exe as a False Posative for a virus.. Perhaps Programmers and dev team might want to look into coding to perhaps correct this to avoid future issues with virus scanners?
  11. Xodd_1138

I have this problem and there is no way on this earth I am going to exclude files from my anti-virus. Just because it may be a false positive now does not guarantee it could not get a virus attached to it in the future. I try to update a couple of times everyday (Day 4 now) and I send the suspicious files to AVG. Someone should eventually get around to fixing this, eventually.
  12. thatnanoguy

Still no fix? Not cool :(
  13. Timithos

AVG? You're getting this on AVG too? That would be the 3rd anti virus program to pick this up.

So anything and everything you download from Steam gets a free pass without virus scan, because you trust all things from Steam? No thanks.

Day 3 and I'm losing 38 certs per day on 5 characters.
  14. idomagic

Considering the virustotal report I'm guessing Xodd_1138 (and others) may have mixed up Avast with AVG or AVG with "antivirus program" in general. Avast is the only AV that makes this detection (and I have therefore submitted the file to them as a FP).

Oh, and regarding exclusions, while still not perfect, after adding just the planetside 2 folder you can actually manually replace the wildcard with just the executable "PlanetSide2.exe", thus minimizing the exclusion and risk. (This can only be done after installing the patch successfully)
  15. Punisher610

It seems to be a FP, but I still wait the confirmation that it is. But If avast blocked it, the chance that it infected your pc are pretty low... Still better to got it blocked than not!

I wouldn't recommend to exclude it, unless we are getting the confirmation that the file is harmless, and It's a FP

But there is more chances than its a FP than nothing, because Its not the first time Avast pick it as a virus, in fact in may 2013, the file was also seen by Avast to be a Win32:hoblig
    • Up x 1
  16. Thorvaldr

Anyone see anything new about this?

I'm still not going to play until this is fixed. Personal experience has taught me to take PC security very seriously.

Would love to hear an update from SOE.
    • Up x 1
  17. EmmeraldWeapon

DO NOT EXPECT SOE TO FIX THIS, NOTHING IS BROKEN!

it is your antivirus that needs to be fixed, it is incorrectly detecting a virus. This happens, learn to use the exclude function, that is why it is there.
  18. Costanza33

We just want a new official statement man, that's all. They said in post #40 they're aware of the problem and are looking into it, so please don't say it's just an antivirus issue and just throw your individual opinion by saying it's a false-positive without linking any kind of source. Right now, nor SOE or Avast has released a clear explanation on the subject: if I'm wrong, please correct me.
    • Up x 2
  19. EmmeraldWeapon

costanza, uhmm, you fail to realise what anti viruse software does. -_-

Software is not made to work WITH anti virus, it is anti virus's job to work WITH valid software (ie non viruses). The failure here is Avast has a false positive on the latest planetside.exe, the FIX is for avast to update definitions to stop this false positive.
  20. JonConnor

Emmerald, how do you KNOW it is a false positive? In the other thread someone claimed to have tracked it to an infected MBR. SOE has just said they are "investigating" it. Its too early to say it is necessarily a false positive.
    • Up x 1