Infantry assaults are more fun without splash damage

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Firejack, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Tekuila

Pod splash damage as it stands now is pretty insignificant, especially if the target(s) is wearing flak armour.

I noticed you said 1 person countering 1 person, but that isn't correct because it may only have 1 pilot but it is a force multiplier making said pilot easily worth 5 ground pounders and that is the entire point of force multipliers. Don't misunderstand me however as I am not saying one person should never beat said multiplier but that it should be stacked heavily against the 1 infantry vs the vehicle(including maxes).

As far as infantry fighting being more diverse that is simply not true but again that would be perspective based I suppose.

I love flying, but I also love ground combat whether it be in vehicle or infantry and I can honestly say it is a rare occurrence when I have any issues with vehicles except when expertly driven or in massive numbers. Because they are effective does not mean they should be nerfed in anyway, if anything right now vehicles AI abilities need to be buffed.

In the end infantry cost nothing and vehicles cost resources to use and that more than makes up for any woes a single infantry is having against them because that is how they should be working.
  2. Corporate Thug

I didn't mean one guy spending resources. If you were to pull a burster max you would do so foolishly and waste your resources, it would require at least 2 in order to be effective and kill an ESF. The problem is vehicles aren't special. They are easily pulled and despite SOE's efforts of making them harder to acquire, they are still spammed and players never have to not be in one. For someone to be 5x as effective as another player all the time will just lead to vehicle spam, which leads to our AOE spam. Vehicles would be fine and dandy no matter how powerful they are if it wasn't possible for every dang person to pull one when he or she pleases. That is the reason I think too much splash is bad. I wouldn't mind spending the time to kill any vehicle or the resources for that matter if I knew it actually meant something. More times than not it only means I wasted my resources to get rid of a nuisance and then started playing my preferred play style just to have to deal with this same nuisance soon after.

I don't think vehicle gameplay will ever reach a point to where they were actually earned so I have to focus my attention towards things that can possibly change, which is lowering the splash on certain weapons.
  3. Tekuila

So basically you wish to ruin someone else's gameplay in favour of your own style. That hardly seems fair.
  4. Chubrokoli

Problem solution:

Make tanks a resource that needs to get built with your engi tool then make a timer for atleast 1 minute to get able to use it and last make it only "buildable" on very special tank facilites, same for the sunderer and lighting.

Next thing would be making those bases big enough(ground floor and basement with at least 2 floors for each one) to make them able to infiltrate them to slow down production(so a faction with no facility has a chance)

Next thing would be to make every base in some way influenceable by vehicles maybe with a open field and a basement or much higher buildings than the towers are now

but that would mean for the developing team to actually put some effort in their game

I think that would make everyone happy and enables everyone to play his own style;)
    • Up x 1
  5. Corporate Thug

I suppose you can look at it that way but I choose to think of it as making vehicular gameplay meaningful and allowing infantry to not be farmed constantly to benefit vehicle players.
  6. Corporate Thug

I appreciate you being constructive and trying to add more depth to this MMO. I personally would enjoy these changes and perhaps other objectives for vehicles.
  7. EliteEskimo

Whatever you say lol:rolleyes:
  8. Spectralfx

I can't help but think that someone that says:

When all we do is just mentionning the POSSIBILITY of REDUCING splash radius on CERTAIN WEAPON is some kind of ********.

Let's get this straight, as an Infiltrator people can simply switch their graphics settings to low and totally NULLIFY my cloaking abilities.

DO I quit playing it for that much? Do I Rage quit Planetside 2 and whine about other people being unfair to me?

The answer is : No, I deal with it accordingly. I do not "assume" that this thing will work EVERY GODAMN TIME.

Reducing splash radius on weapon would not mean to break the game for ANYONE, it would force CERTAIN players to stop RELYING on it too much like it is obviously the case now.

/end rant.
    • Up x 1
  9. vanu123

Without splash damage you make the lasher useless.
    • Up x 2
  10. Xae

Give me a no infiltrator no splash battle island.
  11. hawken is better

I wouldn't absolutely detest vehicles and their users as much as I do if they actually stuck to fighting each other. Instead, they purposely throw thousands of certs into their scrub chariots for the sole purpose of getting easy-cheese infantry kills, then they have the nerve to come to the forums and complain about Strikers/Lancers/C4/AT mines/basically any AV weapon. It was quite enjoyable to actually be able to make it 10 feet from the Sunderer/spawn room without getting instagibbed. Too bad it was so short lived.
  12. CNR4806

So, instead of Battlefield (tank + infantry combined arms) you want World of Tanks (tanks only) and Counter Strike (infantry only) running on the same server. Note taken.
  13. Nocturn0l

Well you could argue that tanks are rather unsupportive in objective play, instead for most of them it's just a nice way to farm easy targets(infantry), some won't even bother if they kill their own troops in the process. For most infantry players tanks are more pain than gain and the only reason they exist is to take on the enemy tanks.
  14. SikVvVidiT

That's kinda ironic because that is exactly what you vehicle users do to us grunts. You could saw we do the same to you, however I can't think of one grunt weapon that is instagib like pretty much all Vehicle weapons.

Don't matter much, in a few months when this place is a ghost town and they are merging more servers. You Vehicle users will have the world all to yourself.
  15. Tekuila

You got it backwards, once this game becomes infantry side it will b a ghost town.
  16. SikVvVidiT

Hmm lets think here, PS1 was mostly infantry gameplay (Indoor fights) vehicles where used to get to bases and camp doorways, you had to actually get out and go inside to get the real work done. Not to mention AA and even AV was a lot stronger towards Vehicles/Tanks. And it was a pretty damn good game that did pretty well, especially when you consider that it was not F2P and hardly anyone knew of it.

Then a Dev got this "Great" idea about making this BattleMech Vultronish VEHICLE and they soon dominated everything. You could not step 10 feet without one of those bunny hoping OP Mechs (Vehicles) 1 shotting everything. Guess what happened next? That's right people left in drones, the game became a ghost town.

So yeah your absolutely right! When the game becomes infantry side people will leave. Not!

But mark my words if things don't change soon, they will be leaving in about 1.5 months as those 2 big boy infantry style FPS games come out.
  17. deggy

Want a game with no splash damage? Cert Flak Armor. 50% reduction in splash.

Or are you too busy using Nanoweave because it gives you an advantage in infantry combat?

Tradeoffs.
    • Up x 3
  18. Spectralfx

Would be slightly true if only it was not RAINING explosive shells during those attacks ... Gratz for more than 1000 certs into "2 - shot kill" instead of "Instant - Gib"

your death sponsorised by spammers without skill that do not want to see the game balanced in any way that could affect them.
    • Up x 1
  19. Klondik3

Nanites, bro. How else do you explain engineers carrying turrets in their pockets?
  20. SwordofCyric

Not at all. Was utterly boring. I expect this to be some sort of war simulation and even back in 1775 they had artillery.

As an infantry player I except tanks and planes and lots of explosions around me. The battlefield has to be filled with things from which I have to try to stay clear.

Why don't we go back to muzzleloaders while we're at it?