Anyone think a Relaunch is on the horizon?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Warruz, Sep 7, 2013.

1. LynxFury

With no disrespect to old PS1 players, many elements of that game were either compromises for performance problems that no longer exist, or more typical of the player audience from ten years ago. In fact some of the poor decisions and changes in PS2 are because of the vocal minority that couldn't tell the difference between the tiny almost cult game and the rich and quality game place PS2 needed to become to thrive. PS1, as a place for ideas...sure, absolutely; as a foundation for PS2, heck no.
    • Up x 3
  2. HellasVagabond

When SOE themselves admit to having laid off many people i have no reason not to trust that. Search the web, i think i saw a percentage somewhere.

Doesn't make sense to fire people based on older titles now does it ? Regardless even if ALL of the titles contributed to that PS2 was amongst them.
  3. Ash87

Across all titles, the majority of which were in DCU. Very few people were removed from PS2's team, and they were QA, I believe.
  4. LowTechKiller

...as long as it doesn't say "formerly available on PC" :eek:
    • Up x 2
  5. WorldOfForms

Nobody will claim PS1 was perfect. It had many flaws because it was innovative and broke into areas of gameplay nobody had done before.

Yet, it had 10 times the depth of PS2. Way more options for character builds, way more variety in weapons (because they were actually different, and not just tiny number variances on rifles), way more continents, way more vehicles, way more tactics for taking over bases, way more things for infiltrators to do, way more things for engineers to do, way more asymmetric balance (the three factions actually felt very different). Even the smallest details had way more customization and variety - there were even many more voice macros so you could call out specific issues to nearby teammates, and you could move and resize anything you wanted in the UI to make it your own.

Sure, PS1 is ugly and has dated shooting mechanics, but when it comes to variety and depth of gameplay, it makes PS2 look like a kids' game.
    • Up x 3
  6. RobotNinja

I'm sure console players will be quite forgiving when it comes to being expected to dump a bunch of money into a game and then having to deal with game-breaking bugs that don't get fixed for months...if they're lucky. I hear those console players are a really patient bunch. And if SOE can succeed in creating a base of loyal PS4 players then-NEW CALL OF DUTY!
  7. Mongychops

I don't know about a relaunch, but I'm sure SOE are eyeing the launch of BF4 cautiously. That is the closest thing to a direct competitor to PS2, and they will definitely need to up their game to avoid losing too many players.
  8. Tricycle

Can you give some examples of the issues PS1 had? I mean I do have few in mind, but I'd say those were minor things that were commonly disliked and of course they would have been redesigned for PS2.

However, the most important part of the game aka gameplay itself was pretty good in PS1. Due to the long distances between bases the game felt more like a proper battle simulation. You got a ride from your base and started to move towards the next base which was somewhere in the distance. You would meet the enemy half way and the battlefront would form right there. It might have been a bridge or perhaps a forest or a some sort of ridge which provided the natural cover. AMS would be set up somewhere and you would have a nice long lasting battle right there. You would see various tactical moves trying to break up the stalemate. Gal drops, flanks, hackers trying to jack the AMS, etc. Eventually you would move a bit ahead or you might have to retreat and a new battlefront would form there. All this between bases themselves. Finally you would of course reach the enemy base and take it, but usually it included several steps as well. The battle where the enemy defends the base from the base walls. The shorter battle inside the courtyard and the indoor battle at the end. I do admit that I never liked the indoor battles. The choke points made them tedious and the larger battles required zerging to finish them off.

So how are things in PS2? The Empires are split into many small groups, because every continent is packed with outposts. Therefore it is very unlikely that you'd find equally sized opponent. Hence more than half of your game time is wasted in the following repetitive routine. Steam roll 500 meters into the enemy's spawn room. Camp it 10 minutes. Steam roll 500 meters to the next spawn room. Camp it 10 minutes. Repeat until you realize how hollow the gameplay is and then log out annoyed. If you compare that with what PS1 has to offer I don't quite understand why would you write "Heck no" to the idea of basing the game on PS1. That game had way superior gameplay.

SOE should have definitely taken PS1 as a foundation for PS2 and then fixed the obvious issues it had. Just like what Gearbox did with Borderlands. The sequel is brilliant.
    • Up x 1
  9. THUGGERNAUT

because the relaunches of MxO, SWG, and Vanguard went so well.
  10. Kodaa

Right, because SoE's only game is PS2.
  11. gunfox

They just need to declare Hossin a free add-on and they will get free advertisement on games sites / magazines all over the place.

EVE has been doing that for years.
    Imho, this game really deserves more players.
  12. jeuvisage

A relaunch wont do anything. Most everyone who would have spent money on this game all ready did. It is just downhill from here. Notice how late GU15 has been and the devs wont provide a update. Combine this with massive layoffs across SOE, only a sucker would give them money now.
  13. LOLdragon

A "re-launch" of sorts does make sense. I had a strong belief that PlanetSide 2 was coming to the PS4 months before the announcement, and lo and behold: I was right about that! :D Obviously I'm not going to be right about everything, but Sony is clearly making a big push with this game, because the way I see it, it has potential to be one of the biggest shooters on the market, right alongside Battlefield and Halo, maybe even Call of Duty-level famous.

Obviously a lot needs to be done before that. We need the PS4 version AND the Mac version they promised months ago, and the game NEEDS optimization and performance increases. Right now, PlanetSide 2's biggest problem is it's only accessible to high-end PC owners, which is a major crutch for a game that depends so heavily on a huge player base. Bringing in the Mac users and (more importantly) the mid-range PC users and (even MORE importantly) the masses of console players will make this game's popularity surge.

Ideally, SOE will be able to bring out support for the extra platforms AND the new continent AND the tweaks to the metagame AND a physical retail version (maybe with exclusive content/lots of SC to start with?) all at around the same time. Yeah, I'm REALLY optimistic, but PlanetSide 2 is the game I've been waiting for my whole life, and I have confidence in SOE's ability to make this into one of the best games available! :D
  14. Pikachu

Will console players have their own servers?
  15. MasonSTL

You never studied business or have actually known how a business works have you?
  16. Van Dax

new cinematic trailer with vanu screentime greater than 5 seconds pls
  17. Iridar51

This is called ghost-capping, and nobody forces you to degrade to that. If I ever find myself on an empty enemy base with lots of allies, I just shrug my shoulder and redeploy to a base with combat around it. You know, those explosive-ish thingamabobs on a map?
  18. Halo572

The concept of the game deserves more players.

The implementation of the game for the past 10 months - performance, content and the way most players are there just to be farmed by the Best Players - deserves what it gets.
  19. HellasVagabond

Actually i own a small business but hey whatever makes you tick ;)
  20. MichaelS

yes