Change Medic Revives

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tristan, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Blarg20011

...aannnd this thread has devolved into a flame war
  2. Flapatax

Yea, clearly you don't know our outfit.

In any event I'll continue to primary medic until it gets fixed, as to not use something so blatantly broken and necessary is simply handicapping yourself.
  3. TheBloodEagle

Just did now:

I guess I was right. Some folks pretty much want this to be CS with bigger maps.
    • Up x 3
  4. RHINO_Mk.II

I can think of a couple possible solutions:

1) Knifing an enemy corpse on the ground will cause it to despawn so that it cannot be revived. Doing this, however, does require you to get into point blank range and spend a second looking downwards, leaving you vulnerable if you don't have someone to back you up. (This is very similar to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory's revive mechanic, and if it worked for a classic game like that it can work for PS2)

2) Medics can revive up to 3 players before respawning or visiting a terminal. This prevents the endless pushing medic balls where they get almost wiped out 6 times by explosives but can continually revive each other and eventually push forward. If you crush their faces hard enough, they will need to start respawning again.
    • Up x 3
  5. Tristan

Pretty sure playing smartly is a trait that most skilled players share, where-as the skilled players also have accuracies higher than 14% and KDs as heavies higher than 1.2.
  6. TheBloodEagle

I dig the idea of knifing for despawn and preventing reviving. I think it would make it a more purposeful tool for non-Infs and Infs alike.
  7. CrashB111

Perhaps only direct hits from vehicle based explosives remove the corpse, and to remove a downed body otherwise you have to melds it? Trying to think of a way to still let Medics have a job, while letting vehicles have a defined roll in stopping infantry zerg on open ground.
  8. MasonSTL

This is an interesting point and I have to say I personaly don't think its badly broken but these suggestions are good

The only thing I have to say is not to limit the total amount of revives per person but add a revive cool down. The game Kane and Lynch had an overdose factor, if you where revived too much in a short period of time you ODed and forced to respawn.

If applied to PS2 I think the cool down should be in increasing integers of time:
    • First revive 30 sec
    • Second revive 60 sec
    • Third revive 90 sec

So basically if you died then have been revived and you have to be alive for the allotted time to receive another revive.

This should also be added along side of a bleed out mechanic. If you aren't revived in the displayed amount of time you are forced to respawn and being shot while bleeding out decreases/expels that time.
  9. UberBonisseur

Just thought I'd share this idea:
    [IMG]

Putting a "overkill bar" that serves as a revive limiter.
    Every damage taken beyond your last HP is deduced from this bar. If the bar is empty, your corpse disappears.
    This bar also continuously deplete while dead.

Which means heavy hitting weapons such as Sniper rifles or one-hit kills from Tank shells could prevent revives, while small arms deaths would still allow 3 or 4 revives.
    And since the bar is bleeding when dead, wrecking havok in a group of 12 people still has an impact over time even if the medic is still alive.
    • Up x 11
  10. TheBloodEagle

Haha, I like the shot at me. I rather like being a teamplayer, doing whatever it takes & I love going on suicide missions, taking huge risks and enjoy spewing bullets out for pseudo-suppression & attention grabbing. My intention wasn't to have a big e-p een. I played Quake, Tribes, Unreal & CS enough as a kid.
    • Up x 1
  11. Flapatax

Limiting the number of revives doesn't make medics irrelevant, it would just put a bigger burden on the individual to pay attention and get better. I would assume this wouldn't limit the medics healing power, so they should always have a role.
  12. Tristan

Yes, people with better stats are not teamplayers.

OH WAIT. No. They just get the same stuff done that you do way more efficiently. Except that medics keep their efforts from making any kind of difference.
  13. TheBloodEagle

I'm liking this because it's attached more to the individual player rather than penalizing/g imping a whole class.
  14. ChicoFuerte

Or putting a limit on how many times a player can get revived, kind of like Left 4 Dead (minus the screen grey out because that's annoying)

Infantry could be 2 or 3.

MAX units could be 1 or 2.
  15. Flapatax

The problem with this is people start ******** about which weapons cause the bar to run out. For example, I don't feel like sniper rifles should qualify because of most snipers being utterly useless non-contributing nubs. Then again, this change could make them useful.
  16. Posse

Don't derail this thread into another of those BS threads where people keep saying "High K/D players are terrible teamplayers" please.
  17. Rene Korda

You got to share that one on Reddit. Unfortunately, Reddit is the only forum devs pay attention to:-/
  18. TheBloodEagle

You're a great, efficient player but a Medic revive puts a damper on your day? Heh. Why don't you advocate for all deaths to have to respawn at Warpgate; really jam it in that they died & you beat them.

There are much better ideas on the thread: Overheat/cool down like Engie tool, knifing prevents revives, ability to remove body & overkill meter rather than a blanket nerf for Medic.
    • Up x 2
  19. Sock

This would be a really cool mechanic to see tested out.
  20. Tristan

I'm not against trying any of those things. What I'm against is players like you who think that teamwork = crappy stats.