Watch out for abusers of this nasty glitch!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheRealMetalstorm, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Being@RT

Devs in their right mind would not do so.

but... ;)
  2. Rift23

Abuse? Don't you mean, meta gaming?
  3. Izriul

Yeah? I had this happen the other day and it's absolutely pathetic for something like this to be abused, and bads will use any crutch they can. Though, I expect nothing less from that faction.

The more people that do it, the faster it gets fixed, and I hope each and every one of them who does it gets banned. I can at least link this video to the report now, and along with the exact time it happened I'm sure they can have more to look into.
  4. zombieslore

I had no frigin clue this existed until the people brought it up, i mean i can give you my word it's just only a small percentage that actually do this, but by making this public knowledge, your sorta spreading it and SOE already knows that this exist but by making the problem bigger doesn't solve it, I mean just look at the time it took them to fix the striker ignore terrain glitch, that hinders gameplay more then just a few people abusing glitchs so it's not top priority unless it becomes more of a problem then all the other glitchs, and why do you think the forum moderates usually remove these post. Making a problem public won't always solve a problem.
    P.S If I misread your post, which is most likely, then I'm sorry if this offends you or anything but this isn't a major glitchs thats on the top of SOE list, and if your trying to do that, then technicly your spreading the exploit, similar likes saying the more people that I give weed to, the more attention it'll attract from the police and they'll go after the weed, your spreading the problem but by saying that your trying to solve it doesn't help in the big picture.
  5. zombieslore

My example is a comparison, by spreading the issue so it attracts more attention doesn't help but instead might cause more problems, like I never knew about this until a few days ago when someone brought this, don't spread the fire, simply just send In support tickets because solving the issue might be harder then your think cause these things use clientside, so it's less lag on the server by spreading it about everyone that use a ability/tool but if you put it on the server, the server, not your computer, needs to calculate 1 for every vehicle pulled which might be hard on the server and cause more performance issues.
  6. biterwylie

I did not know about this, niether did any of my friends :) Like I said. Thanks for the heads up! Expect to get it hard now lol.
  7. nukularZ

I think it should be made into an official feature that is made clear to everyone exists, because it encourages more thoughtful teamwork and skill. SOE could develop a much more useful secondary cert tree for vehicles, that are 50% as effective as the main ones. So a secondary vanguard shield would only go up for half as long. And a liberator would require both secondaries to use fire suppression to have the same effective as the first.

Balance issues aside for now, SOE, that this idea and run with it!
  8. W0rthy

I'll make it simple for you, as with this bug, and the renderbug, metalstorm is doing the right thing because;

a) This bug has to be reported because some people exploit it to get an extreme advantage over others, this bug like the renderbug are basically gamebreaking. Therefore they have to either be fixed or listed as an official bug/exploit in a public statement with a character related penalty for replicating it to your benefit.

b) For it to get SOE's attention it has to be extremely obvious. Because they're busy doing all kinds of things for planetside 2 and sometimes things like these slip through the net.. especially if everyone shuts up about it, and uses it to farm trying to tell themselves that it's "ok" because "soe's own fault that i'm allowed to do it" yeah you can steal a guys wallet, doesn't mean that you should.. but you can.. so it's a ridiculous argument to use.

c) All soe has to do after agreeing to try and fix it is list it and the render bug an official bug/exploit in a public statement with a character related penalty for replicating it to your benefit. So that everyone is aware of it. So that if you then get caught doing it anyways several times on video, the hammer drops.

d) You should calm down a little bit.. You're acting like someone posted your nudes on the internet and that consequences will now never be the same.
  9. Delnar_Ersike

The major difference in the comparison is that while one problem cannot be fixed (at least not in the near future), the other one can. For example, while police forces can only combat the use of hard drugs, they can neither eradicate all methods of production nor eliminate their biological effects on all humans. SOE can fix this bug. SOE will fix this bug. The question is when, how.

As for your second part, it makes no sense. It's true that support tickets are handled by a separate server. However, the way abilities are handled should not generate network lag or frame drops when people abuse the glitch.

Here's my assumption of how the abilities are tracked in PlanetSide 2:

Currently, all players have two ability charges tracked by the server: an infantry one and a vehicle one. This lets you use Nitro with a Flash, then exit it after it's depleted and still be able to use Cloak with your Infiltrator. This also means that if you drain your cloak with an Infiltrator, then switch classes to a HA, you will still need to wait for shield to charge to full. However, when you use an ability on a vehicle, that ability is tied to you, not to your vehicle.

The easiest way to fix this that would not result in excess server strain would be to create an invisible "Charge Points" stat for all vehicles, similar to the way HP works. When a player gains control of a vehicle, their vehicle ability charge is set to the vehicle's Charge Points. When a player exits a vehicle or otherwise loses control, his vehicle ability charge is set as the vehicle's "Charge Points". The only problem is that most vehicle certs decrease recharge times for vehicles, and this method still lets players mix abilities: for example, a Vanguard might IR smoke, then swap seats to activate a short shield.

Just brainstorming...
  10. =ADK= CanNerZ

I pretty much am in a Vanguard 99% of the time i am on. I did not know about this exploit, so assume a lot more will now be spreading it. - need to learn better ways to inform the people that matter. The "proof" you posted is going to be the same reason this thread will most likely get closed.
  11. W0rthy

No, because this would require a complete rebalancing of all the other AA AI AV aspects of the game, since this unintended bug/exploit skews it completely. Because if you think 16 seconds shield on vanguard is bad, double afterburner on libs, double fire suppression repair is bad.. then get a load of this..

If two players with IR smoke/Flares maxed out on a MBT/LIB does this, then because of the 15 seconds cooldown and 6 seconds lock denial (on MBT's) which is meant and balanced for only being used once. You can actually PERMANENTLY deny being locked by any lockon. I'll let that sink in for a few seconds whilst you realize the ramifications of this bug for huge tank columns/roaming lib squads, and how people have been able to exploit it sinks in... And how absolutely DEVASTATING abuse of this is/can be for the general gameplay..

Other than listing it as a penalizeable exploit in a public statement, the quicky and dirty fix which would be to make vehicles gunner dependent to fully take advantage of utilities with cooldown. Which means vanguard shield be 4 seconds at max level and rely on gunner at all times to get the full 8, and the same with any other utility on any vehicle that has a cooldown.

That would however be extremely messy, but atleast it's better than multimanned vehicles being doubly effective at everything.

So you should probably ask soe to fix it instead.

TL;DR I think that's a really bad idea for various reasons listed above.
  12. Niloc

wait just one damn second....you mean to tell me there are NC players out there that jump in the secondary gunners slot??? where are these fable creatures??? I always feel like Herbert from family guy trying to lure someone to come gun for me "hey there little NC guys, wanna play? I gotsh a cool Halberg"
  13. zombieslore

responce to your post, thank you I have read your post with some open mindedness and here's some of the problems and here's what I think, it's not ground breaking if only a few people do it, If they killed you once or twice, report them and tell them to stop, and if they tell you to deal with it (like so many TR striker users) report them again for breaking/exploiting games but few people actually use it, and there are numerous other bugs that are bigger like the exploit with spawn shield not rendering and people just spam UBGL into the spawn room thus effectively changing the actual tide of battle, but these exploits are big but are not ground breaking enough cause if you can't even be safe inside a spawn room, then how are you going to fight if your not even safe for enough time to push out.
    I don't know if you do any programming but for everything in the game, there is a code that the server runs, I.E you flip a base, the server runs a code that switches this territory from X faction to Y faction, but by giving every vehicle their own code for the ability/utility, it'll cause the server to fund X amount more codes and might cause performance issues like lag as the server needs to run one for every vehicle constantly until it's destroyed.
    I'm not saying it's not big, but it's just not that ground breaking, sure you can get SOE to fix but it will proberbly take a long time as they got other issues that affects everyone instead of just a few people.
    P.S I had a drunk night and I had no idea what I was talking about with the comparison, sorry about that, it's my fault for providing crappy comparison so i'm going to edit those post.
    Weird, seems like I can't change my post from last night, just ignore the comparison parts. Thank you for putting up with my drunkuness
  14. zombieslore

Can you provide solid proof, I.E video or pictures something like that thats not just your words, I've never seen a zerg abuse this glitch so I don't know what your talking about. But if you got enough proof, I'll believe you. Please put real proof instead of staged acts.
  15. W0rthy

Let's say for whatever reason it's extremely hard to fix programming wise, without making the game performance extremely ******..

OK.. then make it an official exploit/bug in an official statement. That says several things..

a) SOE is aware of this bug and acknowledges that it is NOT intentional and gamebreaking
    b) attempts to repeatedly replicate this bug to your benefit (exploitation of unintended ingame mechanics). Will if documented carry first a warning, then a character related penalty, like a 15 days suspension, next time 30 days suspension for repeat behaviour. Or perhaps even a ban.
    c) the immediate gamebreaking experience that this bug/exploit causes is now sorted since you have to be extremely stupid to try and do it now. And if you still do it then off you go.
    d) people would get off SOE's back about it and they'd have time to figure out how to fix it.

Unfortunately a problem doesn't really always go away if you ignore it. And it's pretty unfortunate that this and the renderbug has been in the game for this long without there atleast to my knowledge having been an official statement about SOE's stance on it.

Being hush hush about it just means that aholios will abuse the bejeezus out of it and tell you to go tell soe if you don't like it whilst ruining the gameplay for others. Because unfortunately moral fiber is often found lacking in a lot of people.

That's why we have rules and laws etc. OR ATLEAST it's the general idea of having such things..

And i know i'm digressing at this point, but this is really the first i've heard about this bug, and the renderbug i had heard of a little but brushed it off as a temporary glitch thinking surely you would get banned for that/that it had been fixed ages ago, i've never experienced it myself.

And it does severely aggravate me how long these two bugs have been in game, and how little there has been done about it. And how many battles could have gone completely differently if people hadn't abused this without the vast majority of the playerbase knowing about it. Aswell as there being no punishment for doing so..

When SOE's stance against aimbots and cheaters have been harsh, then surely exploiting things like this should be right up there next to them, or at the very least carry some kind of penalty.

About players who are saying that players shouldn't be suspended/banned for doing this. Well if they make an official statement about it, and you still refuse to stop doing it well.. then you're asking for it. And i doubt the planetside 2 community will miss people who exploit stuff like this in secret, and then go on the forums and talk about game balance.. Even if it's several hundreds of people.
  16. zombieslore

Are you supporting my thing or against it cause your giving me a mix message, SOE knows it's here, it's just not top priority and i'm not grilling SOE to do it, I'm simply just stating that there are more gamebreaking issues then this and it's diffucult to fix some bugs because unlike what everyone thinks cause sometimes the current code just needs to be thrown in the garbage and write a new one but thats really hard. Yes people do get warning and bans if it draws enough attention from people but if you got a problem try to find a GM and talk to him/her about the people that are exploiting cause they can do more about it.
  17. Goretzu

I'm much more interested in ESFs that have flares and scout radar tbh.
  18. Phazaar

My mind is blown. I mean, really, "(like everything else nonsensical and imbalancing in game)" didn't give away the sarcasm? Nor 'wonderful game'? Nor ":) You know I was kidding though, right? ;)"??

I hope you don't jump the gun like this in your personal life, that'd be awkward?
  19. W0rthy

Here's what you said;

Pretty easy to misunderstand that sarcasm when you start it off with needing proof that it's an exploit, and ending with it otherwise it is an intended feature.

I don't get why people think being sarcastic in half of the things they say is somehow impressive, nor how they think it is always an extremely easy thing to convey over text. You deliberately obscure what you actually mean by saying something ambiguous. And then leave me to figure out if you're an idiot or not. And when i go with what you literally said then you make an ad hominem..

What's awkward is that you can't just talk plainly on a forum instead of me having to interpret if you are sarcastic or not.
    • Up x 2
  20. Sebastien

pls go /ps2vg/