GU14 is....empty??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by [HH]Mered4, Aug 10, 2013.

1. [HH]Mered4

This just confirms my suspicions that SOE is being pushed to make PS2 increase their already generous profit margin for this game....by adding derpgear to the depot and bug fixes, instead of giving us NEW CONTENT.

Mind, I understand that we have been asking for optimization, but this GU does not say any of that. It just lists all these bug fixes and balance adjustments.

SOE, here is my suggestion for your team if you want to keep us engaged:

1. Make Hossin and the Continent Lock system, and any other feature that adds strategic depth to the game, your number one priority after optimization.
    2. KEEP US INFORMED. Like these guys did in this thread about a serious game-breaking server issue: http://forums.firefallthegame.com/c...-durability-issue-on-august-6-7-2013.1721941/
    Can you guys do this type of thing when plans change/stuff gets scrapped? instead of surprising/angering us when you don't add stuff to the next GU? The ESF update Plans Thread was a great start....but we still have no idea when it is going to come out. If Higby said it on twitter.....*sigh*. I do not use twitter. I use the PLAYER FORUMS. :D

I thought they were here for a reason.

*end rant*

Have a blessed day.....
    • Up x 7
  2. haldolium

Its once again a horrific small hotfix for the least of the the entire core problems in PS2.

Maximum trolling patch, GU14. Can't get more cynical these days...

Fixed Player animations not playing? nope
    Fixed no damage given? nope
    Hit detection more consistent? nope
    Rebalanced Striker? nope
    Rebalanced unit visibility? nope
    ESF upgrade? nope
    Hossin? nope
    Caching **** that matters too? nope
    fixed C4 drop animation? nope
    fixed C4 malfunction? nope
    adjusted vehicle physics? nope
    fixed tripple loading screen? nope
    fixed spawn beacon exploit? nope
    fixed being stuck on the map after revive? nope
    fixed spawn system? nope

etc.
    • Up x 10
  3. Slyguy65

IKR

I think when people like game devs who have game forums...use media crazed twitter, facebook, and reddit instead, I auto assume they are ordered to, same thing with MLG, this game was really not built for MLG. Yet they pushed to have it....
    • Up x 2
  4. AntonioAJC

Wait, Hossin isn't coming out on the next update? THEN WHY IS IT ON THE TEST SERVER?! I seriously was waiting for the continent to be on GU14. Instead, we're getting new freaking ***** in the Depot. I mean, the slimmed down version of the composite armor seems to be nice, and as people said, I think, it was in beta. But that's it?! That's all that is in the update?
    I use the Forums too, yet, it's overlooked by what I think it is, most of the dev team on SOE. Most, I'm not saying everybody.
  5. Pikachu

Hossin is scheduled for september. ;) Which is the earliest date to expect it. I don't care much for new content I wish for fixing more stuff instead. C85, HE shells, desperado animation bug, splash damage bug, AV grenade, some kind of buff to phoenix and what not.
  6. Thagyr

I don't use Twitter either. Thankfully they have a bar on the side of the forums that you can select Higby with and read it there.

My only gripe is the 'Coming Soon' section in the patch notes. It's a patch, not a HEY THIS'LL BE IN A LATER PATCH patch.
  7. eldarfalcongravtank

these are the really important things that are currently gamebreaking and need to be fixed. the others you listed are either a balancing matter or additional content that we can be glad of they give out for free
    • Up x 1
  8. Pikachu

I just got killed because the enemy placed a c4 just outside a force field. How about that splash damage bug?
    • Up x 1
  9. Zombekas

New content simply doesn't come out every game update.

[IMG]
  10. Dvine

They are not ready with the content..

Tears ensue.

The End
  11. Kujo

GU14 is not empty. You're exaggerating, as is normal on these forums.

Bug fixes and UI optimizations are always welcome. I especially welcome the map screen loading faster. Granted, compared to Game Updates in the past, this one is one of the less exciting. I'll give you that. However, that's just because SOE has gotten us so used to huge updates with tons of content rolling out all the time and shaking things up. They can't all be mega updates.

You act as if they're not doing anything big for the game with their time. Here's some reminders.

• Battle Islands are still in development, with Nexus *appearing* be nearing completion from how it looks in its trailer.
    • Esamir just got a complete revamp in GU13 and they're working on Amerish's revamp now I believe.
    • After Amerish's revamp, they said they'll probably go back to Indar for a THIRD time and improve it yet again.
    • Hossin is looking amazing and is being tested right now. The test server does not mean something is about to go live. It means its being tested until it's ready to go live. Why would you expect Hossin on live already when only a portion of it has even been available to testers. Do you want it sooner or do you want it done right?
    • Performance optimization is ALWAYS being worked on. I'm sure it's a huge concern for SOE as they know this is probably one of PS2's biggest barriers to getting and keeping even more players. Especially with the PS4 version coming up, whose optimization will also help the PC version, specifically with multi-threading.

Those are just a few examples. The biggest thing to note here is that SOE's PS2 development staff isn't just focusing on one project at a time. They have TEAMS, each doing different things. Just because one thing happens sooner than something else that you really wanted doesn't mean that they haven't been working on it. It just means the team for one project finished it before the team working on your desired project. Once again, do you want something sooner and half-*****, or do you want it done right?
    • Up x 7
  12. LowTechKiller

They're just trying to stay on their game update schedule, even though they've been busy hosting SOE Live.

It's not that they don't want to make dozens of improvements, it's just that it's very difficult to be productive when you're drinking with your customer base all night and hung over all day at SOE Live.

Give 'em a week or two to recover and I'm sure they'll be right back pumping out bi-weekly mammoth game updates for you to complain about.
  13. kayben

14. [HH]Mered4

But this is not the first GU where the only thing in the patch besides bug fixes and cosmetic items were balancing fixes. I mean, GU13? all they had were some new pistols, the NS SMG (chump change that really doesn't add to the game experience as some....other things...might). Also some other minor changes. Yes, they are sticking to the schedule, but how many times have they changed that schedule? More times than I can count. They made a plan, they told us what it was, then they changed it on us and didn't tell us WHY or WHAT was holding them up, in a specific and clear PSA. In fact, I don't even know what their plan is, long or short-term, so I am kinda playing the game once every week or two. just to check in.
    • Up x 1
  15. Syrathin

Posts like this bug me a bit, Mainly because the "devs" are a group of people with many different specializations. If the art assets are completed for Hossin then the art team is freed up to work on cosmetics and new weapon designs while the guys doing world design are working hard on Hossin.
    Also a lot of the bugs can be hard to track down and take care of where tweaking the stats of a new weapon are pretty easy to do so it doesn't really take much away from other projects. Sometimes the workload falls on one specialization more than the others so you still have fixes and new content coming out, It doesn't mean the other projects are taking a back burner.

Then if they have something that doesn't take much time they'll finish it and put it out ahead of the big content so that there is still stuff coming out rather than us having large stretches of time without anything. They are working on Hossin and continent locking (Which needs all three battle islands finished first) but there are plenty of things they can do here and there depending on peoples workload that don't hinder the larger projects.
  16. Kujo

Forgot about the fact that they completely revamped an entire continent in GU13?
    • Up x 1
  17. LordMondando

So, they should have major new content patches every fortnight.

You guys should set up your own publishing house, you must be amazing at software development to think those sort of time scales realistic.
    • Up x 5
  18. Ash87

They have said they want to head in the direction of MLG, but MLG isn't for another 6 months minimum. In that time we are slated to get continent lock, continental conquest, Hossin, and a resource Revamp, things vastly more important.

They also came out and said that MLG would require people playing in the game, if you aren't ranked highly on the Outfit leader boards, you don't get to MLG. The tournaments and examples of PS2 they showed at MLG Anaheim were all just demos.

Their "Pushing" MLG about as much as they are pushing Naval Combat. It's something they want, it's something that is on the far horizon, but to say it's the focal point of the game right this moment is meaning that you are intentionally ignoring a ton of other information.

Link: That will show you dev comments that happen.

Hossin is being updated on the PTS in tiers, the next tier will be out before too much longer, and there will be 2-3 Dev interviews coming in the next 2 weeks that will present a slew of development information. You can't really expect Hossin to be on the Live server, if they haven't released all of Hossin onto the test server.

Vanu labs has a run through of some of the bases on Hossin we haven't seen yet. Link
    • Up x 1
  19. Kujo

That's a good link. I already kept up pretty well with PS2 news, but it's nice to have it all centralized in one place. Thanks for that.
  20. Ash87

Well... your kind of ignoring a lot of things that happened in GU13

You had the XP changes to prevent bailing in ESFs
    You had the recommendation system get improved, which has showed a benefit to server balance
    You had the ESF nose gun overhaul
    Harasser debuff
    prox radar buff and debuff
    Improvements to waypoints for commanders
    Esamir lattice
    Alert experience changes
    Pistol rebalancing
    New pistols
    Retuning of some of the cert lines...

It was a rather massive GU.

As to the Clear PSA, there are tons of interviews provided to people in Reach cast, X-cast podcast, through the feed to the right side of the forum page, relinked from reddit and PSU, and The Inquirer. The next major project is the Resource Revamp. Following that is Continental Conquest, which has continental capture in place to prevent the need for further server mergers. You'll have warpgate conquest. 3 battle islands. Amerish Overhaul. Esamir will likely be revisited. There is a new set of vehicles coming out that are supposed to be empire specific transports somewhere between a harasser and a sunderer.

Short term goal, which I call 4 months, is to get Continental conquest in.

Long term goal is to add more continents and content.