Disable XP When Shooting From Spawn

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Harbinger, Aug 8, 2013.

1. EMP1RE

Ultimate solution: PS1 spawn system
    Short term solution: Yes to OP
    $OE solution: M0AR SC IT3MS
  2. Reaver027

It is so frustrating being one of the few that always tries to push out.
    You see plenty of troops that could fight their way out of the spawnroom but chose not to do so.

The spawnroom design still sucks.
    -spawnrooms are too easy to reach and there are hardly any chokepoints on the way towards the spawnroom.
    -spawnroom have to be camped by the attacker because for the most part they can not be disabled.
    -people camp inside instead of pushing out or regrouping for a counter attack because they are rewarded for camping inside.

It is so sad that PS1 did so many things better than PS2. I wish they would have learned more from PS1 instead of ignoring the game.
    Could have saved us all a lot of time.
  3. PWGuy93

Seriously this thread and topic has run its course, it no longer delivers.

Players in spawn rooms are playing the game just like the players outside camping it. Neither side wants to be there, would rather be fighting the good fight. The design of "most" spawn rooms creates the circumstance for people to camp outside and in. I believe the devs understand the debate, the "high walls of Esamir" is an example of this. Log on Hossin, look at the spawn rooms, they are even more refined, heck some capture points are under ground where no air or tanks can camp, bridges can be "destroyed" keeping vehicles at distance.

I believe the devs get it, give em time. In the mean time, give other players a break. If they want to camp a spawn room from the inside or out, the game allows it, while you personally may not appreciate it, it's not against the Code of Conduct. Now go play...
  4. Elbryan

How is it "very likely to backfire"? How exactly does removing exp from spawn room campers backfire?

What do you mean by "playing the Zerg side"? Playing the over populated faction? What's stopping them from doing it now. Don't tell me the reason they are not doing it now, is because they're still able to camp inside their spawn rooms. =P

I do think SOE would still have to design better bases/spawns, but the exp removal thing could be a good temporary fix while we wait for better design.
  5. makrome

lol, that's rich.
    The thread title alone somewhat implies that this thread evolves around Xp.
    May i ask if you read any page of this thread at all ? Count the posts containing XP/reducing XP/KDR and similar things.
    Improving gameplay by only rewarding those camping around the spawnroom and giving those who have to first clear a tiny gap in that ring of campers around said room nothing ? Seems legit ...
  6. Aegie

I think the thread has only run its course once people realize that redesigning spawn rooms is not the answer because the mere existence of the spawn room is the core problem.

If a spawn room exists then the a core component of the game will be playing to the spawn room- this only works well if the only true spawn room is the WG (since that is, ultimately, what everyone is trying to camp). Otherwise, fighting over a "base" is just a euphemism for fighting over a spawn camp.
  7. ent|ty

Lead by example, sir. Lead the way into the sea of red dots and get back to me how it goes.
    I've been dealing with people not wanting to do what I want them as a squad leader as well, or playing as aggressively as I would like them to... but I also respect that they can play however the hell they want, they paid for the game (or not in PS2's case) and they are the final decider as to what actions they will take.

How about instead of punishing the player, we instead encourage game developers to come up with a design solution?

Stop worrying about how people play, and look at SOE instead.
  8. 660/12

Truly?

IMO Esamir made spawn camping worse. The walls just turned the game into a twitchfest within the base, and camping happens just as much. Heck, the ice crystal thingies seemed designed specifically for spawn camping. I'd almost prefer to be camped by vehicles, because squad deploy + mines or C4 would actually work.

The only improvement made by Esamir base design was (in SOME bases) multiple exits from spawn in different parts of the base.
  9. 660/12

10. maxkeiser

If people want to shoot from the spawn let them. Who cares?

It just means easier targets for the outfits and units who work together and cooperate.
  11. Goretzu

Lets be clear, the OP is suggesting removing exp from those being camped in their spawn room, NOT from spawn room campers (those sat outside spawn rooms waiting to kill anyone that comes out).

But it backfire because when people are outnumbered the last thing they need is to be further punished by not even been able to get any exp., all that will do is make people quit (or move to the Zerg side). Fixing nothing.

Nothing is stopping them, which is largely why we HAVE Zerg sides to begin with, but fixing that doesn't start by punishing people that haven't moved the the Zerg side yet. :confused:

It is NOT a tempoary fix though, it is just a further punishment to those that already outnumbered that will achieve NOTHING (except making the OP feel better for some reason), but will likely make the game worse and lose more players.

Redesigning bases and spawns is a seperate issue.
  12. Goretzu

PS1 had no real spawn camping, because of its design.
  13. Reaver027

I think some defennders want to be there and that is the problem.
    Oh and the devs had time since early beta and have still not managed to fix this problem.
  14. CaptainYamerica

Look continuing to argues about Apples and Potatoes is going nowhere. Camping in one spot is camping. Period. Those inside a spawn room always have the option of respawning elsewhere instead.

I do not like the camping from either side of the spawn room shield. But, until SOE re-deigns it, it is going to happen and players should no be penalized for it. Self policing, that's something totally different.
  15. Aegie

Right, spawn rooms can be done better and spawn rooms can be done worse- but either way as an attacker you are trying to control the flow of enemies from the spawn room and as a defender you are trying not to let the enemy control this flow.

All I am saying is that if there is only one or even just a few static locations where it is most likely for most enemies to emerge then by default one of the strongest strategies will be to set up a perimeter around those choke points to prevent enemies from emerging. You are playing to the spawn room- I imagine this was crafted a little better in PS1 so it was not so obvious that this was a central element but if you know that the vast majority of enemies originate in one or several spots then establishing a no-go perimeter around these locations is a very strong strategy to acheive your goal.

In the event you are able to establish this perimeter before flipping the base then you have a camping situation where both sides are at a bit of a stalemate in terms of what most consider to be entertaining FPS gameplay.

Obviously there are going to be varying degrees of effectiveness depending on certain factors- how large the choke points are and how many of them there are, etc- my point is only that there should really only be one static, hardcoded, spawn choke point and that should be the WG. Everything outside the WG should be as free and flexible as possible so that no one can camp anyone one way or the other.
  16. Jex =TE=

Well in another thread people were talking about the point of transports since there's so many ways to deploy so I think what you're suggesting is remove all spawn rooms and beacons and al lthe other **** and leave it down to Sundies and Galaxies or other transports to get where you need to be - that would make the game a lot better imo.

Why did SOE think that people need to be back in the action in 10 seconds? I would make a game that deliberately pissed those types of people off in favour of more mature, team orientated none adhd players and that doesn't disclude kids as there are actually some kids out there that are surprisingly mature and intelligent enough to appreciate that type of gameplay.
  17. Puppy

I like the idea.. It's the main reason people don't move back to the next base to defend. Why move back when your getting free xp?
  18. Puppy

People shouldn't be inside the shield expecting free xp.
  19. Jex =TE=

The whole issue is with the way the bases are designed. I can't think of any examples where a fortified location has huge gaps the enemy can just walk right into but if bases were more logical and better defended then when you pushed the defenders back far enough the reward is taking the base and cutting off their spawn ability. Perhaps the spawn room should be the objective with a destroyable spawn generator in each one - whatever, what does it matter, we could think of a million things better than what there is now.
  20. Jex =TE=

I would have to disagree and say this is down to badly designed bases and a poor thought process in the whole capture mechanic. The problem with the spawn bases is people sitting inside them and the attackers having to lock it down - a boring time for everyone involved. Now the attackers have to lock it down, it must always be guarded but the defenders don't have to sit in there.
  21. Aegie

Basically, yes, that is what I'm suggesting. Although, I do feel that there is place for beacons.

First, it would mean that there is actually a penalty for dying and that you can actually advance against a force by taking down enemies.

Second, I know a lot of people may think "Booo, that means you will spend lots of time being transported from place to place and that is boring". I think if it was done well, however, that at the very worst you would be replacing all the boring and anti-immersive time spent spawn camping while you wait to flip a base with time you spend getting to the fight (and, believe it or not, possibly getting engaged by the enemy on the way- since now the equivalent to spawn camping would be disrupting enemy troop supply lines (you know, good combined arms gameplay).

True, there would be a lot of details to work out as there would be with any dramatic overhaul of the gameplay mechanics but seriously I am sick of just how much this game revolves around the spawn rooms.