Water

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Ash87

We now have a base that has a considerable volume of H20 at it, Foggerty Dam on Hossin.

As of now, you can't really interact with it. This raises some questions in my mind: What does the community think should be done with Water? Should there be swimming? Should mag riders hover over water like in PS1? Should going into water mean guns become useless when you sink underneath it? Should you hold your breath or are there respirators in the helmets? Should shooting at someone underwater mean little to no damage to that person?

What is people's opinion on this?
    • Up x 3
  2. LordMondando

Mag should hover, and I imagine this is why compared to PS1 they have been light on the rivers and bodies of water so far.

However, your a fully loaded solider with metal bits of armour on, swimming should not be in the game. You go in over the head, you drown. Weapons either being combustion or lazer/rail gun whatever, powered fail to work.
    • Up x 4
  3. haldolium

I'd prefer no water at all, except for borders or knee-deep rivers/ponds/swamps. I would not mind making the existing water actually accessible and add swimming just for the sake of not dying from crashes there, but not as a game element inside the maps.

Swimming/Water has never been particular great in any kind of game outside of games like AquaNox or real sea simulations...

swimming is ultra-boring to say at least.
    • Up x 1
  4. Oreo202

Will trade magburner for waterburner.
  5. Koldorn

The game needs more rivers, bays, lakes, waterways, and small oceans; and generally more things that a mag can float over.

Additionally; exposure to all of these by any non-hovering vehicle should cause them to become disabled. Unless towed out by a sunderer (tow cable) or just make them explode or something...

#notbiased
    • Up x 5
  6. KenDelta

Mag hover , no swimming , heavies sink , weaponlock while in the water and locked for 5 secs when you come out.
  7. Kociboss

• Up x 2
  8. KlyptoK

I want to see bullet-water physics, like it looses momentum the more water it travels through.

And magriders should go over water.
  9. Ash87

Okay further question for you two, since you said yes to drowning: Should there be a cert to breath underwater, like a respirator.
  10. NikkoJT

I think the best thing to happen would be for water to be more than an intangible 2D plane effect that sometimes breaks entirely.

Should that happen, I think this is an area where PS2 copying BF3 might not be a bad thing. From what I can tell (I'll admit I've not played much BF3) swimming is handled quite well; you can move reasonably fast (definitely walking speed not sprinting speed), you can't shoot, and the swimming mode kicks in at a sensible depth.

As for vehicles, I'm NC and I would be fine with floating Magriders - a possible tradeoff would be the VS not getting normal boats (I recall hearing that boats are Part of The Plan for when oceans arrive), instead having to ferry infantry hanging onto Magriders, a few at a time.

If it's decided that swimming shouldn't happen, it shouldn't be instant death on dipping below the surface - there should be a short period where you can hold your breath, allowing you to evade inattentive pursuers, get out if you slipped in by accident, or ford streams that happen to be an inch taller than you in the middle.
    • Up x 1
  11. Radec594

This is not a big deal, you shouldn't be able to submerge.
    Swimming animation for everything else.

As previously said, do as Battlefield did.
    • Up x 1
  12. VSMars

I think water (and underwater) ops should be a thing. Magriders (and other maglev vehicles) are one obvious example, but other amphibious vehicles also have a reason to exist. Add in ships and boats, small submarines, water mines (floating just below surface), flooded parts of old installations, sewers, water currents, ... and I'll be a happy camper.

This would require water mobility (swimming and diving) and respiration certs for infantry, underwater functionality certs for weapons, hydrofoil certs for aircraft, amphibious variants of things like the Sunderer, Flash, Harasser and Lightning, and obviously some place where you could actually use whose things. Like ... Cyssor? Pretty please?
    • Up x 1
  13. Evilsooty

I'm TR, but think the MAGs should float as it makes the game a bit more interesting if the sides have real differences.
    • Up x 3
  14. deggy

Mags should hover over water, swimming should be limited based on equipment. If you're carrying anything bigger than an SMG, you sink. If you're a Heavy Assault, you sink automatically.

If you sink, you can hold your breath for a bit (queue Infiltrators wondering why breath-holding for snipers isn't as long as breath-holding for water) and try to get out.

Vehicles that go into water can't move once it reaches the level of the bottom of the turret. They can be pushed out. On the Sunderer, the threshold is the bottom of the windshield.

Add a Defense cert for vehicles that makes them hermetically sealed, able to drive through water and push other vehicles out of it.

Add an ES water-travel vehicle, something that gives TR and NC a way to get across large bodies of it. VS get a hovering thing, TR get a speed boat, NC get... a raft.

I'm not biased at all :D
  15. Phrygen

I'm not convinced allow mags to hover on water would be balance faction wise, but i think it would be cool.
  16. Justicia

It works pretty well in Guild Wars 2
  17. MarlboroMan-E

**** no Mag's shouldn't float. Anybody ever try to stop a VS LLU run on Hossin in PS1? **** that.

And adding underwater stuff would be neato ... after they give us Hossin. And Battle Islands. And mission system. And Searhus. And fix all the broken ****. Then, yes, let's get underwater swimmy stuff. For now? Irrelevant.
  18. haldolium

Not really, nope.
  19. Jex =TE=

Water should be modelled like rl and they should introduce patrol boats. They should make it a usable part of the map and introduce scuba gear.
  20. Ash87

I would say that as we now have a base that has a Ton of water in it, we kind of need to at least figure out a partial solution now, other than trying to explain why everyone in Auraxis is water soluble.

I mean I think Swimming might be a bit much right now, but at least putting in a pain field so that vehicles and people start to die when they are so deep, I think that would be good. Maybe put in a pain field effect where the trigger is on your chin or something, the effect is a blue screen, and you start loosing health at that point. It's quick and dirty but it works.
    • Up x 1