Facility Capture Timers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sock, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Zotamedu

It's so the NC can have yet another thing to cry about. It gives them less time to play with their scatMAX.
  2. Sock

You hate the potential of an exciting resecure attempt on a hack? Either you're ghost capping the bio lab and no one showed up (zero fighting) or the SCU dropped after a back and forth battle and you have at most 4 or 5 minutes left before the base flips. Sounds like you just want to roll around the map unopposed.
  3. Ender

You probably don't play on Mattherson during times DT / DA are out to "play". Resecure's happen, yes, that squad will come in and bust the kneecaps of the platoon that was BORED. Although, I do notice what you're talking about as the average defense is sub-par at best. I'd re-iterate on that game from a long time ago that had all these problems solved, but I think it's been beat to death already. Reducing timers is the wrong way to fix this problem and will only create more problems later on that will also need to be addressed.

This mentality will only create more work as Imij has stated. Generally, it's best to fix the core issue than slapping a patch over one of it's results. Patching mechanics (to appease the majority ADHD playerbase) that are results of a core issue will not fix anything long-term or add depth. It'll simply appease the instant gratification generation for the next month, maybe two. Now, fixing the issue directly instead of patching unintended gameplay results.... and you get to enhance the game instead of playing catch-up. I get my base XPZ AND get to attack the next base at the same time??? Preposterous.
    • Up x 5
  4. Crashsplash

I saw it and didn't like it. It's for the 'I want it now' and the 'Are we there yet' kids.

It's like every now and then SOE forgets that this game is supposed to have some strategy in it.
  5. DoctOrious

This being such a minor change, was there really a huge outcry for this?
  6. LibertyRevolution

I don't find last min resecures exciting, I find them annoying!

We show up, crash the place, kill everyone there, pop the gen, blow the SCU, it should be game over..

We win, I want to move onto the next base.
    I don't want to sit around while they get their act together and take it back.

They can defend at the next base down the lane, maybe even put up a proper defense this time.

I don't want to fight at the same base back and forth, I want to crush them then fight at another base.
  7. Sock

Thank you for not reading any of my solutions then.

Reward cap XP regardless of whether or not you're in the hex the second the base flips. If you fought there, you earned it. This lets players that want to move ahead do so, while still leaving an avenue to resecure for the opposing side. This promotes decision making and adds depth. Do we move on to the next fight, or hang around and make sure the hack goes through? Simply reducing cap timers all around is a short sighted change that does nothing but dumb the game down further.
    • Up x 1
  8. jak

I guess I'm confused on what the **** the point of having a count down timer AND an SCU is if it effectively means killing the SCU will leave defenders without any hope of resecuring a base (let's not forget that the SCUs are generally in positions that benefit the attackers).
    • Up x 1
  9. Matlock0

If you are a "resecure" outfit, this will change nothing. All you do is go there quicker than before because once it starts flipping and the enemy has more numbers, it's time to make a move right away and not worry about it 7 minutes later when they have fallen asleep on the capture points.

So you are saying you can't save a facility if the SCU has been killed? Got it.

The point of it is, if it's a grueling biolab fight but you can't quite get the SCU, you can still hold 2/3 of the points and have a chance of capturing (without killing SCU which is pretty much only way to get biolab with 10 minute or 12 minute rashnu capture times...).

The attackers can sort of seal the deal by killing SCU or if they can't accomplish that due to fight being sort of even and defenders know their ****, they can put pressure on the points as well.
  10. Sock

It's a mess of gradual design changes that's going to reach critical mass when every base fight is over in 4 minutes.
  11. jak

No, what I'm saying is if I take your SCU down, I don't have to worry about it anymore because you won't have enough time to bring the SCU back up, spawn friendly forces, and make a push on the capture points. The attacker has gained yet another advantage because they can consolidate their entire force around the points rather than need to worry about the SCU being brought back up.
    • Up x 2
  12. Sock

Every facility in the game capping 30% faster won't affect resecures? How can you even justify that statement? This does nothing but dumb the game down more and cater to zerg playstyles.
    • Up x 1
  13. Phaze

Not crazy about it... but we'll see how it goes.
  14. LibertyRevolution

Last minute resecures are just back cappers that showed up early...

Your SCU is down, you already lost that base, go defend at the next base up the lane and stop trying to back cap.
  15. Rebelgb

If this is SOE's answer to the complaints about Spawn camping then shame on them. Thats what they come up with? I sure hope thats not the case....
  16. Sock

This is possibly the most ill-informed post I've ever seen on these forums. I'm impressed.
    Defend your hacks. Earn the base. No freebies.
    • Up x 2
  17. PWGuy93

With the planned location based energy drain and players trucking in new supplies the timer might actually be beneficial for defense. Not sure how it's going to work, but if captured, wouldn't the base still be low on energy to power the shields, et.

I see extended game scenarios not limitations by a shorter timer.
  18. LibertyRevolution

How about you defend you base before the SCU falls instead.

You rather wait until the attackers have all pulled armor and formed up to move out to drop 2 platoons on them.
    Yeah, I'm sick of that. Can't wait to see it gone.
  19. Sock

You're a ghost capper aren't you? Not to play the stats card, but it's pretty hard to pull a SPM of 68 when 3/4 of your playtime is light assault. There's no way you're doing that capping bases where there's actually a fight.
  20. Tommyp2006

If your base fights are only as long as a cap timer, I have bad news for you, you're a bad defender. If it takes your outfit more than 7 minutes to respond to a cap, I have bad news for you, you're slow.