[Suggestion] Sniper feels more and more useless

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SparrowTail, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Hoki

I didn't die to a sniper rifle once today, people just aren't sniping cept for the hardcore.
  2. Sworaven

I killed a friendly by accident when he walked in front of me. Does that count?
    I did send him a tell: "SHOULD'VE WORN NANOWEAVE"
  3. gloowa

Those are people who just suck at being aware of what is going on less then 10m away from them. They deserve to be ripped to shreds by SMG. If you miss that very loud and empire specific cloak/decloak sound AND the black-fuzzy silhouette you are just bad. And if you didn't miss it chances are equal - infil has a gun, you have a gun, either one can shoot the other. As i stated above, that is not true for snipers.

Don know, really, i'm not thinking in terms of X meters / Y damage. Never tested it like that... Someone better versed in weapon performance/numbers across all 3 empires could chime in here.

Any? Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory.

And also what makes every "modern" game spankgargleweewee (4:20 onwards).
  4. Vaphell

very long range maybe, but the sound in perfect conditions is audible up to 100m. Let's say i am intimately familiar with these sounds and almost always know inf in nearby for very liberal values of 'nearby'
    Few days ago i played 1v1 hide and seek with enemy inf in an outpost it was clear we both knew where the opponent was, even if that was the opposite side of the base. 100m is 3.3x further than my suppressed SAS-R and 2x further than unsuppressed one can unconditionally OHK.

that's not what i see here.
  5. gloowa

What you see are:
    - pre-damaged people
    - people who lost their helmet and receive increased headshot damage
    - people without health upgrade (NW5 equivalent)
  6. Vaphell

never played W:ET but i also see that the rifle has RoF of 5bullets/second and can be used at point blank to overpower enemy with a barrage of bullets. In other words it looks more like an equivalent of semi-autos in PS2 than the dog slow BASRs.
  7. MarlboroMan-E

I respect your opinion, but when I have sub-BR25 snipers picking me off occasionally, I really have to question whether or not the sniper is UP. I don't play infil at all, so my opinion is only based on receiving, not giving.
  8. Phaze

Sniping is relatively useless in battles (compared to everything else you can do) - but it's fun and a lot of people like the "oh i'm invisible and killing you and you can't kill me!" feel of it.... which is exactly why it can't be too useful, otherwise we'd have Sniperside 2.

And to be clear, I'm separating sniping from infiltrating/hacking/getting up close and getting some kills with an SMG.
  9. Nephera

That rifle is actually designed for that range, you cant even slap any of the longer range scopes on it.
  10. soeguud

Class name is "infiltrator", not "sniper". Sniper rifles are kinda suckish, but that's probably coz i hardly spend time with them. Furthermore with outfit ops smg is preferable as you can shoot stuff and be in an optimal position to deploy radar.
  11. Kumaro

Infiltrators has several tasks on the battlefield.
    infiltration, Sabotage, Sniping, Scouting and more.

Suggestions for this.
    Give more things to separate sniper people and infiltrator people more.
    Ammo types for the Sniper rifles?
    Sniper camo (gillie suit,fields?)
    Infiltrators (what we have now)

They are going to give the Class some work i suggest getting things a bit together of what people playing it wants and just get it onto the roadmap so that the devs can see it properly.
  12. Phaze

It is useless. It always has been.

Stop sniping and go do something actually useful for your team. Nobody cares about your fantastic KDR.
  13. Mustarde

SOE gave infiltrators quite a few downsides and limitations to prevent the type of OHK sniping that hurt other games (like the AWP for example). With bullet drop, scope sway, and the difficulty to hit moving targets due to low bullet velocity... well sniping in this game is nothing like other games.

Your second sentence.... such an easy time to farm away? Upon release, no one had nanoweave and you wouldn't be able to survive a HS unless you had nanoweave 5 and were at max falloff range. Infiltrators were, and remain, the lowest xp/hr class on average. Throughout the various game updates, infiltrators have been grossly underrepresented on leaderboards across all servers. On my server, 2 out of 100 players in the top are serious infiltrators.

I understand your prejudice against snipers given your experience in other games. I cannot impress more upon you how far PS2 is from that. If anything, our class has been neglected and struggling for a long time.

The nanoweave issue is a huge one. It's not just 1/25 targets running with it. On Mattherson, it's more like 4/10. And we aren't talking about nanoweave 5... you just need 11 certs to do it. I had a BR10 survive my RAMS50 from 60m the other day (suppressed). I just about cried! Then I knifed him.

As I have said in other threads. Do I still get kills? Yes. But is this mechanic fair? Should we lose the only reason to use our signature weapons, the BASR's? Absolutely not. When you can't kill a target within 30m while hitting them in the head with a SNIPER RIFLE... something is broken. Plain and simple. Broken.
  14. SparrowTail

First of all.. I really couldn't care less about my K/D .. if you'd bothered to look it up you'd have seen it's actually below 1 because I am willing to make a few k/d "sacrifices"

Second, if you ever played in an organized outfit in which they have special squads, you'd realize how bloody useful snipers could be when protecting armor/sundies from heavies
  15. Nephera

never before has a sniper done something like pick a medic out of a crowd and shoot him first. no sir.
  16. Yoda

I have no issue with one hit kill rifles, in fact I think the heavy sniper rifles SHOULD one hit kill to the head, but not to the body.

My issue with infiltrators who like to snipe arn't vry usefull in an platoon.. they sure can kill a few here and there.. but mostly you are good at picking off ppl who are standing still. And in a fight there are not many who stand still hehe..
    If i can get intel on where the enemy is pulling there air/tanks i'll send my sniper(s) to that location to harass them and try to pick off enemy's as they spawn vehicles.. but in acctual fight.. you'd be better off on a HA with battle rifles if you like to "snipe"

It kinda make me sad cus i do enjoy getting headshots at range and i've used my LA80 and Longshot a bit over the course of this game.

Another issue is also, most "snipers" are ungrouped solo players who, cus they are solo, isn't vry usefull to there faction nor do they know where the enemy are coming from due to lack of comms. the most useless thing when commanding a platoon is seeing friendly's on the map, just to relize it's just solo snipers working on there K/D
    and the reason i say that is this: sure they can kill ppl and skilled snipers can do it in a more rapid pase.. but so what.. you are 400m+ away.. they'll respawn or get rezz before you take the point.. 10 snipers on a hill can do nothing to take a base, that 4 medics 5 HA and 1 engi can't(10 snipers vs 10 usefull classes).. in fact that team would be way more effective at anything in game..

when i'm leading platoon I also use snipers as 2 other things beside picking ppl off from spawning stuff..
    1 is the scout... sitting on a good lookout location with view of the enemy sending intel on comms back to us as to where the sundy is or where they are going, if tanks/air is incoming etc..
    2 is the team of SMG infil's i send ahead of the main platoon.. this i do when we are about to attack a larger base, tech, amp and bio.. they can infiltrate the base and set up so that once we get a connection to the base they can overload the generators all at once and i'll try and send at least 8 or more so we got 2 at eatch gen.. so they can at least try to fend off any1 coming to stop the overload.. also mines^^ :)

so.. rantmode_true on this.. lol.. but my point is while it's fun to do.. with the game as is, it's not vry usefull to have anymore then one, maby two, "snipers" per platoon.. no more..
    infiltrators i'll take a few no problems.. hacking turrets/terminals and sneeky smg assassins.. awsome.. but snipers.. meh.. could do with out tbh.. (beside the 3 situations stated above and even then only a very limited number of snipers)

also i feel I must point out, the class is called infiltrator. not sniper.. you are ment to infiltrate either behind enemy lines or enemy bases.. sniping with rifles are only one small part of what the class can do.. hacking terminals/turrets on bases to prep it for the main force is way more usefull then you sniping a few ppl ni a large fight.. you got SMG's as well as sniper rifles, and you got semi auto's with scope and with out for medium range fights.. you can drop mines at good locations to scare the enemy and/or make them more carefull moving around the base.. a team of infil's can do this in a good way tbh.. you are not just snipers.. even tho I my selfe like to snipe at times, i always remember that i'm also ment to help the team out by othermeens then just killing some stationary fool at 500m+..
  17. Yoda

well.. sure they have.. but so what.. TTk and repsawntimers are so fast it don't rly matter most times.. they respawn before you can take advantage of it..
    an SMG infil can take advantage of the opertunity from the kill and overload or hack something.. where as the sniper is just a annoying distraction and you either rezz or respawn and get back to it..

oh oh also.. you should instead say "never have a sniper killed a tanker while he repairs".. that is like the one usefull thing that can have a propper effect no the battle.. a medic respawn or get rezzed and is back to it.. a tanker who dies is often away from his friendly's(for some reason i am yet to learns) so killing him put's the tank out of play for a bit..
    • Up x 1
  18. Nephera

There's a good time and a bad time to shoot anybody, you're using the worst case scenario for my example and then posing your own in the best case.

Yeah if you're sniping someone who just came out of the spawn and you're just out by yourself its not going to help. If you're sniping someone important(medics,engineers repairing, etc.) who is distant from a spawn it will absolutely help, especially if you pick off anyone who comes to help them too. Not every battle happens right outside a spawn room believe it or not.

overloading and hacking things aren't dependent on kills at all. Snipers and people who actually infilitrate are doing different jobs usually.

And honestly you probably want to get fewer kills if you're going to sabotage base equipment because you don't want people hunting you. (barring if you're going for the long haul and actually are going to defend a generator all the way to overload. But even then you're going to want to keep a low profile until the gen is actually overloaded)

Yes people repairing things are also good tagets. A medic respawning still has to walk back from spawn and isnt healing people, a medic being rezzed means you should get another medic kill if you arent being supressed.

Tldr: shooting medics is useful if they're not outside their spawn room, why would i suggest that you shoot them at the most inopportune time and place.
  19. Ravenwolf Foxtrack

use to do that in Planetside 1. was a lot of fun. Sniper and spotter team