It's about time the Striker gets Nerfed!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jbkappirossi, Jun 13, 2013.

1. jbkappirossi

Okay, i get it. You want to make as muts money by overpowering a sudden weapon on purpose, so that everyone buys one, but after several months it's about time you ballance this Abomination.

It's funny. I read a conversation between Highby and Buzzcutpshyco, where Highby said something about the ZOE ability for the Max ''How Vanu always likes to use OP weapons'' but apparently they forgot the striker witch makes that conversation between them complete B.S. and Highby biased. If someone can find it please link it?

So, now for some actual details. How ridiculous is it that a Lock-on weapon for both ground and air does more damage then a dumb fire rocket launcher? To be more specific the striker does 2500 damage. 5 rockets that each do 500 damage. Now, compare that to the Anihalator witch does only 1200 damage. This show's that the Striker does double the damage! Complete N00b mode with God power.

And with that ridiculous damage it also has a range (500meter) far greater then any tank driver can see, let alone shoot back. Simple said; you don't stand a chance against 2 guys with a striker in your tank even in the open, because the first 2 hits wil already almost kill you!

And what's really sick is that it follows your trajectory everywhere. Meaning you can't realy hide frome it. People are even saying it goes through walls and stuff.

Yea, i know what most are going to say; you have a lancer and NC a Phoenix, but as Vanu player ask yourself how many Lancers do you see or hear? Almost nothing, no one want's to use them it seems.....

Fact is, when you drive or fly in any vehicle your biggest enemy is always the striker!

"TL;DR" THIS WEAPON NEEDS TO GET NERFED, NOW!!!!!!!!!!
    • Up x 7
  2. Xasapis

To be fair, if you're a MBT user, you shouldn't have much of an issue against TR, assuming you have smoke slotted. My magrider has max certed smoke, aka smoke every 15 seconds with immunity for 4, meaning that they need to engage me and shoot every 11 seconds. That is a rather small window if you are moving from cover to cover.

My magrider has died plenty of times by TR engineer turrets but I don't recall the last time it went down from a striker.
    • Up x 5
  3. Azren

Striker is easy mode, no argument there.
    I wouldn't mind the damage so much if not for the insane range. Once locked on, there is no way to escape from them; even buggy with afterburner can't get out of range.

Compared to this, the Lancer is a joke. OK, compared to any AV it is a joke...
    I mean, a weapon that requires chargeup in a fast paced game like this? Even worse; the fully charged shot still does low damage. Nobody uses these junk weapons.

A perfect example on how chargeup weapons fail is the new AV max gun VS got. Nobody uses that either. We do NOT want chargeup guns SoE...
    • Up x 3
  4. datfluttershy

First they should fix it - so that it works in the way intended, without ignoring flares and smoke for the last 3 projectiles. After that they can look into the balance of things.
  5. exLupo

Also, and I see Lightnings doing this all the time, simply strafing side to side behind a single tree is enough to keep breaking the lock while letting you pop shots off. Small hills, big rocks, it's pretty easy to foil lock-ons with LoS breaks. It's just a matter of keeping your eye out for them.
  6. Xasapis

Now you're unfair again. The lancer in its current implementation is a pretty good weapon. It does need a squad to shine, of course, but you can still shoot what you can see, something that smoke prevents with the striker.

I might agree with you if you were talking about the vortex.
    • Up x 1
  7. KAHR-Alpha

That stuff again... I've never seen my striker ignore flares or smoke, and I've shot thousands of missiles (5700) with it.

The change that was made to flares/smoke is that once they lose their lock, missiles will fly straight instead, meaning that a stationary target will still be hit.
    • Up x 4
  8. jbkappirossi

You don' want smoke, really! You wan't your Magburner to have atleast some sort of defence against Lol pods and getaway's from enemy tanks.

But yea, i also have smoke and it really doesn't help. As soon as you activate it, a few seconds later lock-on again, because you seem to forget that they wil keep trying to lock-on every second with multiple guys. Smoke has a cooldown for that matter, so you'll still loose.

And your statement doesn't rectify the insane damage for a lock-on weapon, witch realy is the biggest problem.
    • Up x 1
  9. Bindlestiff

No. Just no.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...-make-them-lockon-please.132394/#post-1828346

It is even worse for Strikers which, as I and many people have said before me, completely disregards terrain, buildings and whatever else the majority of the time.

Don't get me wrong, what you are suggesting is exactly what should work and is the correct counter for the Striker. I don't think the Striker is OP at all, provided it gets fixed. Damage is fine in my opinion.

Edit: My mistake. I thought you were on about evading the projectiles, whereas you are actually referring to breaking the lock in the first place. Two different things I agree.
  10. jbkappirossi

Your speaking against yourself. Indeed you need a whole Squad for the Lancer to be affective. lol
  11. Xasapis

As I said earlier, the smoke recharge time is 15 seconds. From those 15 seconds, you are immune to 4seconds. It's 11 seconds that you need to worry about lock ons.

I'm not saying that the striker is not strong, I'm just saying that smoke nullifies it. You still have plenty of threats to deal with, besides the striker.

Magburn is a bad choice when facing TR. The reason? This thread. If you can, max cert smoke and laugh at the face of TR trying to lock on you. The first level of smoke alone won't give you much of a window.

Regarding ESF threats, I can only say that it's a bad idea to move with your MBT in areas where your faction can't provide AA support. Besides that, the recent changes in rear armor made it near impossible for an ESF to kill a MBT in a single salvo, like it used to.
    Not a squad, 4 people is enough to insta-shot a tank. Thing is, not even a full squad of TR heavies can get through my smoke screen to kill my tank. Their engineers have a much better luck. Or their fracture maxes.
    • Up x 1
  12. Headcapper

I was listing all the positives and negatives for the striker from TR side and NC/VS side, but then my browser decided to crash..

So here's a long story short:

It is bugged and will sometimes bypass flares (I'm talking with experience here). That has to fixed. After that it'll be a lot better.

Take a look at these stats: http://ps2-stats.com/weapon/infantrytype/rocket_launcher/all/per-hour

Striker is #10 while Phoenix is #2. Lancer is #12 but when you consider that the striker gets used.. a LOT more than the Lancer, the lancer is definately better. Use the lancer more and it will go up in that ranking incredibly fast. We have just a little bit more kills, and you have a little bit more vehicle kills. The lancer isn't that bad, it's just underutilized, while the striker is used in masses. Use ANYTHING in masses and it's extremely effective. Imagine a full platoon in biolab using shotguns.. Wait, what? :O

Besides, it takes a while to lock on and shoot all 5 rockets. We often get only 3, maybe 4 rockets out because when the enemy is behind cover and you fire a rocket, it WILL backfire on you and hit you/your mates. It's not as good as you think. It's just when you see/hear 5 rockets comming towards you, you'll know it's a striker. If we'll all use any other rocket launcher the way we use the striker (in masses..) you'll still whine about that.

Try it out yourself, in real combat. not VR. You'll be amazed how crap it actually is.
    • Up x 3
  13. exLupo

Yea, once you're locked you're in for a decent wad of hurt. Unless things change, the goal will be not getting locked in the first place. Few things piss off a hilltop full of TR HAs than one tiny lightning shelling them with impunity simply because he's got a slender reed to dance behind.

It's like a fat man hiding behind a street sign. Absurd but it works.
  14. jbkappirossi

So, if I'm out in the open, where am i suppose to go those 11 seconds? those 11 seconds are enough for multiple Striker to lock you and you can't get away ider with the slowest vehicle in the game and the range of the Striker.

So, TR get to use an ability like lockdown, because they don't have to worry about extreme powerfull lockon's and VS has to use smoke, because there is no other way? This also implies to that with the already weakest tank we can't use an ability against enemy tank like the Magburner, because of the Striker.
    Anyway let's leave that in the middle what everyone wan'ts to use. Point is that VS is forced to use smoke or better said; Froced to use something against infantry where as TR can choose an ability against other tanks.

I had several ocassions where i just played with mediocore Pilots, not being able to land one single Rocket, because of Racer + Magburn.

Yea, but still. 2 Striker do the same as 4 lancers and they don't have to aim!
    • Up x 1
  15. tastyBerryPunch

Wow. If you have a problem with the Striker while in a tank, than either you're going up against a squad of Striker users or you're just really bad and I rarely see a coordinated squad of Striker HAs. The Striker has the longest lock-on time and it takes and additional couple of seconds to fire off all the rockets. You can use that time to get to cover. Also magburner will sometimes screw up the trajectory of Striker rockets, since they go where they think the target will be and will then crash in the ground.

Also the VS and NC complaints such as this:
    Are false. Speaking from experience the Striker will sometimes, not that often, go through small bumps in the ground which should have stoped the rocket. Most of the time that doesn't happen. But I agree, it should be fixed. However most of the times, especially against tanks the Striker rockets will hit every little bump and in the end only 2 or 3 of the rockets will actually hit the tank, unless the tank is on really even terrain.
    • Up x 1
  16. Headcapper

Use the lancer in a group against tanks out in the open. Same effect, only you can get rid of our lockons for a few seconds and that might get you to safety. We have no way of getting away from your Lancers.. Problem is, you don't use them! Besides, we do have to aim, we've got to lock, right? Isn't the lancer an instant beam (or am I wrong here..)?

Look at your own faction and find the problem there, before you start pointing at others.
  17. Xasapis

11 seconds is not much time if you're moving from cover to cover like you should be doing. You are right of course on the premise that it forces VS to abandon their empire specific vehicle ability for something else. Still, it's only smart to use the best ability for the threat at hand. And believe me, while early tiers of smoke don't make much of a difference, end tier make a very noticeable difference.

Still, look at it from their point of view. Would you anchor your tank when facing VS? Can you call exp pinata? TR can't use their empire specific ability when they are after us either.
    It's more of an issue for ESFs. You can hide behind a rock and the striker missiles will still go through it and hit your ESF. They also seem to ignore terrain cover that a dumpfire going straight would have hit.
    Lancer is not instant, but the lead distance you need vs ground vehicles with the exception of harassers is small. Shooting ESFs on the other hand is a major pain.
    • Up x 2
  18. Loui5D

I've never lost a tank to strikers, I've countless libs and reavers to them though.
  19. y3ivan

Remember its a combine arms game

now back to my afternoon nap.
  20. tastyBerryPunch

I have yet to see this. Whenever an ESF goes behind a rock formation, like the ones on Amerish or the corals on Indar, the Striker will hit that rock formation. The only time I've seen it go through terrain is against tanks and usually that's 1 rocket not all 5. Also remember that all rocket trajectories are off in this game. I have seen countless dumbfire rockets or phoenix rockets go over my vehicle and missed, yet I've still been hit.
    • Up x 4