Tank shells don't come out of barrels....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Puppy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Zitroxious

yay no more shooting objects that arent even blocking your barrel
  2. EliteEskimo

Hey developers all these issues can be adverted on the Prowler with one simple fix, now it's a really unorthodox concept, and no tank has ever had this design but....

[IMG]

Try centering the Prowler's turret!:eek:
    • Up x 7
  3. Eyeklops

It isn't the sight of a tank that scares most players, it's staring down the barrel. Remove that indicator and people will beech about it.
    • Up x 2
  4. BengalTiger

Centered guns on the Prowler, moving the Vanguard's optics to where they are on the model (just above and to the right of the gun there is a periscope- http://cdn.ps-universe.net/screenshots/agnexcl1.jpg); adjust the Reaver's viewpoint a bit downwards, move the gun a bit higher, and we don't need any of this bullship.

It might be fun at first to be indestructible without really having to find cover (a building, boulder, container... anything I can put my tank behind and have a view on its left side; instead of finding the right slope on a hilltop, or boulder or other cover tanks should look for), but this will wear off really quickly.

Not simulating directional damage for the turret (it's based on the hull's direction, even if the incoming shot hits the turret) is oversimplified enough already...
    • Up x 5
  5. Puppy

If you don't see the barrel you don't have any idea unless you see the red dot for a camera on the turret.
  6. TheBillOf3D

Kinda sucks that I spent time learning that offset only to see the skill tossed for easy mode. But I hated my reaver offset.
    • Up x 2
  7. Gary

Most broken part is how good this change is for the Magrider which no longer has a low slung barrel?
  8. Chioxin

Not really, our Magrider had the same issue that the Reavers had with our gun way lower than the camera. It was annoying too, but I just got use to it and stopped caring. I can see it being annoying for a nose gun like the Reaver, but for a tank that fires slowly? Meh, not a big deal.

I think this fix was made to stop all the complainers about the various weapon off sets, because the only real way to fix that with their current game set up is to put the camera on the cannon and not where the view ports are on the vehicle. They didn't want to do that though for whatever reason. Might be technical, might not.

Personally hope they change it back.
    • Up x 1
  9. Gisgo

It bothers me because it breaks the immersion.
    And hiding behind rocks/trees with only your turret/weapon peaking out was a minigame by itself.
    Small things are important.
    • Up x 5
  10. Rhaeyn

Changing the 3D model is more expensive than just moving the camera. And way too much work. I guess..
  11. EliteEskimo

Umm, there is already a GIANT GAP in the center of the Prowler's turret. You just take the turret off the side of the turret and put it in the dang gap. It's not that hard lol.
    • Up x 1
  12. P4NJ

I haven't played it yet but I bet it looks stupid on the Prowler... but hey, the Prowler looks stupid anyway so there should be no problem there. For the ESFs it's fine, though it will take a bit to get used to it.
  13. Copasetic

This seems like a "**** it" fix after weeks of trying to solve the offset barrel problem. Hopefully something better will make it down the pipe eventually, even if it means redesigning the few problem weapons to be centered instead.
    • Up x 1
  14. PhiladelphiaCollins

It's like when an animal or a pet tries to hide and they only cover up their face...the whole "if I can't see them they can't see me" mentality. You'd think that humans would have figured that one out.
  15. loleator

No, they should have payed literally no attention to the portion of the unexperienced playerbase who made thos cryes.

Good players understood and learned how to deal with the offsets (not so much with the autoconvergence, which is a DIFFERENT problem) in exchange for the increased dps (prowler, reaver) or the added capabilities (magriders on hills).
    Now as part of the mainstreamization we are suffering, now good players have to learn again on how to aim so newbies stop flooding the forums with tears.

Devs should already know what players to hear and whose not. This is a change on the wrong direction and makes no sense on where the barrels are (and no, dont waste time remaking them all lol)
    • Up x 2
  16. huller

Nanites.
  17. Fned

I, for one, am going to be hulling my Mag down in rough terrain or behind objects whenever I can.

If anyone complains about my plasma bolts flying out of the earth to strike them, I'll just be all "WORKING AS NINTENDOED, BIZNACHOS!"
    • Up x 2
  18. phreec

That's why I specified it as horizontal offset. ;)
  19. KlyptoK

I would say the same, but my experience with driving prowlers is from beta days...
  20. R-A-B

Anyone that complained about the off-center weapons has only themselves to blame.

Frankly they should put it back the way it was and have any off-center weapons list that fact as a downside before looking people in the eye and tell them to stop whining and deal with it.

My Prowler was quirky and unique and now it feels like it has a permanent bug on firing that constantly breaks the immersion.
    Deeply disappointed they caved in to the whiners on this one.
    • Up x 5