There are no outfits (that matter) running serious air for ops on Mattherson

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Selentic, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Epic High Five

An air raid is when you send all your receivers deep and hail mary it, usually in the final seconds of a close game.

hth
    • Up x 1
  2. Nocturnal7x

I think a few things could help. 1. Nerf bursters a little, maybe a full extended mag double burster should bring an esf to critical, maybe nerf them further, depends how # 2 is done. 2. Nerf rocketpods, they should stay the same against tanks but be useless against infantry, make them use their main gun for that.
  3. ThundaHawkPS

Okay.

Okay.

Listen. Those air units we killed that vastly outnumbered us were camping and bombing the **** out of our ground units to the extent that they couldn't bring enough burster fire to bear (otherwise they wouldn't have been camped by air in the first place, duh).

If I had 4-5 ESF following me everywhere with rocket pods and we all ran the same approach, we would undoubtedly deal damage to tanks/inf. It would require more setup and not be possible around bases with no terrain, however with the right setup even mass flak wouldn't save our targets. Nobody seems to like podding in QRY but me, however, so we don't do that.

• Up x 1
  4. EliteEskimo

Thunda Hawk I know you've fought against BWC's Air Squadron before, what's you're opinion of the pilots within it?
  5. NoctD

Honestly, I was pretty disappointed, I was really thinking I'd see something special when you posted the "air raid" video. Instead I see mostly the same sort of A2A gameplay I've seen in other videos. True though, you can't do this alone, it would be really foolish to do so.

I'm not sure if TR has really much in the way of good pilots on Mattherson - seems like its mostly NC and VS with the best pilots on the server. Used to see real air ops on SolTech back in those days, but it was never as intense as Mattherson was... we had air platoons with the infantry moving around in Gals, Mossies and Libs up in the air. Sadly I missed a lot of it since I started to fly later on in the game.
  6. Selentic

We had those too, until everyone realized about a month and half in they could just pull bursters and no effort required lock on rockets and do the job of the aircraft even better with a tiny percentage of the effort.
    • Up x 1
  7. ThundaHawkPS

harvester is a good pilot, and a few others in BWC

they pull a lot of libs with shredders

8. Sea of Ink

I wish I didn't have a stupid job, a beautiful fiance, and daft friends to entertain on the weekends. Then I'd have the free time to learn how to fly. Oh well.
    • Up x 2
  9. MichaelBarrack

Umm i believe he said outfits that "matter". this would exclude that **** *** outfit.
  10. Roland0077

Thunda why do I never see you flying anymore! Are you only staying on Indar?
  11. ThundaHawkPS

Just haven't been playing much Planetside recently

12. TekTR

Lol someones mad.
  13. Kevorkian

Just got done fighting BWC. Not a single TR air unit in sight. Could be because there were no Sundies to bombard with a squadron of mossies. :rolleyes:

btw had fun, couple of your heavies were brutal.
  14. Rene Korda

Obviously infantry-based AA is, to put it mildly, OP and unbalanced now. But that doesn't mean that air is entirely useless, it's just underpowered and less useful than it should be for combined arms balance to work properly.

Air is still dangerous in any kind of smaller fights. Harassing done by air units can still be quite useful for their faction, especially on continents with hex system still on. That's why maintaining air superiority is still important on alerts (and in all other situations when the faction is trying to maintain territorial control) and that's why what ThundaHawk showed in his video definitely is not a useless activity.

Also, being creative helps a lot. There are tactics that allow air units to operate A2G even over very large battles. Dive-bombing by ESFs still works, this thing here is just awesome (admittedly, less so in this case cause it's more of a fun event, I just don't have a video on hand of its other uses):
  15. Pyro Force

We're around, the big problem is we're usually only up on major op nights (AKA Friday). And I don't completely disagree with your assessment, the air is a scary place to be atm (especially if you're a masochist like me and run radar,) and it's taken an almost complete change in doctrine to get past all the hate spewed in our direction. However, those changes have been effective in maintaining our ability to kill hardened targets for our ground pushes and usually puts them over the top. Honestly, if you don't see us, that's a good sign for us. Means the AA probably hasn't as much either. :p

And to be completely candid with you, the op eskimo is talking about is a bit of an abnormality due to the nature of it that night. Reasons for the huge numbers will be explained in time, but at one point we had a full squad of mossies, and 7 libs with a full compliment of gunners. That used to be the norm, but it is absurd for us these days (was also absurd for anyone on Amerish in blue or purple.) And it honestly felt like a bit of a throwback op to the days of air dominance. Through most of the night, because of how much firepower we were bringing to a fight and the speed it was arriving, we would just wipe out whatever initial AA was pulled, and keep everything else surpressed until the ground forced swept in. For our "average" large operations, we've been feeling it in attendance as well, being lucky to field an entire squad of air. This obviously exasperates the problem, but it is what it is. Like I said, we've adapted, and overcome with smaller numbers. We're just not the instawin button we used to be.

Ground is always responsible for winning the battle, our air wing is something used in conjunction with them to push through. It's not the old days where you can just libspam a base into oblivion and land a mossie to flip the point. We do things differently, but its still extremely relevant to our ground operations, and extremely effective for what it is. It might not seem like its useful to you, but a lot of that stems from not understanding what we're trying to do. Also, on the debriefing thing, we don't sit around calling each other sir and ****, we just discuss what was ****** up, what worked, what we can fix, and what we need to do better next time. We just use military terms because a lot of people in the outfit are familiar with it.

More like we had work in the morning ;)
  16. Phrygen

personally i think they should just add another 400 meters on the flight ceiling to give air an immunity to ground zone where they can fight amongst themselves, and organize their ground attacks. tech wise that may not work tho.
  17. thrikerr

Air doesn't do anything that ground can't do better. I'd rather have an extra medic, or heavy, or engineer next to me, than a mosquito that will get blown up in seconds.
    • Up x 2
  18. illgot

VS on Matherson apparently have a well known outfit that specializes in using air. Couldn't tell you their name though, only heard the NC mention them when they showed up with multiple libs, ESFs, and a Galaxy full of Maxes and engineers.
  19. ExarRazor

so we can go back to the days where this kind of horsecrap was everywhere?

no thanks
  20. Deathrus

Reminds me of beta when flack got nerfed so hard that all you saw were ESFs and Libs capping points. You needed like 5 bursters focus firing on one lib to even scratch it,ESF's with Armor would sit their and laugh at a single burster then rocket pod em.

Air was OP as heck, it's better balanced now in AAs favor, some fine tuning is needed.

As selentic said we had our own air Division at one point, but it became obsolete as in outfit warfare air gets obliterated.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.