SOE combat designer, Its about time to consider infantry as part of the game and not just meat ...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stew360, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Stew360

The infantry as been taken as meat for the vehicules air and maxs meat grinders way to often in the design choice of this game ,vehicules and maxs and air are not limited enough in this game to justified how infantry as been taken for , if you look at any players stats the ones who have the hihest KDR will always be ' either tanks , air , maxs , players who farms kills over infantry players who already figth other infantry players ...

The new DOME shield is a good start , but i think that in the futur ' thing like ZOE should never ever have existed in the first place , since all your balance design as been created around speed when it come to maxs vs infantry rigth ? So whats exactly balance a ZOE maxs versus a infantry ? What balance a infantry versus a overly maneauvrable schythe /photon pod etc.. ? I think you guys should worry much more on your quiet infantry player than on your loud and overly present vehicules and maxs abusers spamming the forums ...

Most players who enjoys massive infantry figths do not come on the forums , but they do ragequit the game due to the awefull , air/tanks/maxsZOE farming , these peoples wont say a thing but they willl boycot the game and never come back

I saw that your map designers are now aware of this situation and try to fix it with the dome shield , but its not enough ... the combat designer should always think about the repercution of their choice for the infantry soldiers , if you already did that , all the ZOE maxs BS wasent suposed to ever have happen , all the air to ground farming / magriders mowners farming as well and so on ...

Put more love in infantry figths vehicules are suposed to be design to primarely figths others vehicules between the bases not to farm infantry and ruins the figths for those who enjoy massive infantry combat ...
    • Up x 2
  2. Kastrenzo

Take your Meds Stew. or stop taking them, cause I don't know what you're smoking

this game is already nothing but an infantry catering game, look at all the infantry weapon systems that absolutley gib vehicles when used in even the smallest numbers.

there's already enough complaining about aircraft being blown out of the sky if a Max so much as sneezes in it's direction now
    • Up x 23
  3. gigastar

Give SOE a few months to make infantry an actual requirement for base assault.

Then vehicles can be buffed, and infantry will only notice once theyre in the field.
  4. Stew360

Play in TE enough said , lol HA spam all the way in a zergs way i understand that from your point of view it could look like that , since you run in a outfit that do nothing more than FOCUS fire with billions of HA troops ,

but the actual game isnt the TE HA spam , iam sorry , infantry combat need infantry space and infantry balance Not balanced on 100 TE with HA versus 1 tanks lol for sure you are going to lock him on all toghuether and hes going to blow up in a fraction of a second this isnt balance ...

such a bad joke
  5. Badname82

This is the English language forum for Planetside 2. This thread concerns neither of those. I cannot read it and infantry already owns vehicles in PS2 so it has to be about a different game. After all highest KDR is a sniper not a vehicle driver.

Perhaps you should try an xbox360 forum.
    • Up x 6
  6. Badname82

7. Vastly

Here's the problem with this from an infantry POV. Gibbing vehicles isn't infantry "gameplay". It's boring and uninteresting. Fire "rocket" at vehicle, dodge behind rock. Continue until one of you is dead. It's a decidedly uneven matchup and therefore contains none of the challenge of fighting units of similar ability and firepower, which is inherantly more skill based. AV is just another of those roles, like AA, that infantry need to fulfil if they want to be able to have infantry gameplay without getting farmed.
  8. ItsJustDash

Then go play Call of Duty or Counterstrike if playing a proper roll in combat bores you. We all can be the little sniper fairies running around 360 no scope killing people.
    • Up x 7
  9. KlyptoK

lol?

I'm pretty confident that those dome shields and walls will block out 99.9% of tanks (except mine of course).

Dunno if you actually looked at the Esamir examples they gave on that FNO and all the walls. IMO this thread is a bit late since they are already doing what the OP wants.

On a side note:
    Where are the Vehicle-only bases? Why is it all Infantry?
    • Up x 1
  10. Macchus

yes it makes no sense to mash TANKS and DOODS together only to continually try and seperate them . i mean i have multiple CoDgames and ive played WoT at least once . so the seperate games do exist . but i thought this was a combined arms game lol...

maybe SOE should make 2 seperate games .

Doodside .

and

Metal machines .

commit to making two seperate game, instead of Stew360'ing this one all up ...
    • Up x 1
  11. Macchus

also i cant tell if stew is just a bad at sperling or what ....
  12. NUKABAZOOKA

WHERE IS YOUR TRANSLATOR?!
    • Up x 1
  13. Nekryyd

The fact that this thread even exists blows my mind.

> Most players who enjoys massive infantry figths do not come on the forum

Where do you even pull this out of? Did you perform some sort of survey? Link pls? Citation needed!

> I think you guys should worry much more on your quiet infantry player

ORLY? Or maybe the reality is that the majority of infantry are having a pretty good time, and that's why they aren't crying? If you would have seen the state of the forums post launch, it was the exact opposite scenario. Back then, vehicles had actual splash damage and air vehicles in particular didn't have much in the way of an effective ground-based counter. If your infantry zerg tried to do anything without vehicle support, you were going to have a bad time. Ever since the huge uproar coming from infantry players, not only are they able to combat vehicles, but they can easily trump them.

> Most players who enjoys massive infantry figths do not come on the forums , but they do ragequit the game due to the awefull , air/tanks/maxsZOE farming , these peoples wont say a thing but they willl boycot the game and never come back

...WAT?

Playing as Infantry is more viable now than it ever was. I should know, because I main as an Infiltrator. Guess what? We are one of the few classes that has absolutely NO anti-vehicle options. Do I cry? No. I guess I'm in some CRAZY FRINGE MINORITY that thinks this is a COMBINED ARMS GAME and that NOT EVERY CLASS should be able to BLOW UP ALL THE THINGS.

Also, the swarms of infantry I see every time I play the game kind of indicate to me that no one is "boycotting" the game because they feel infantry are too weak.

People like you won't be happy until they can either 1HK a tank with their quick knife, or vehicles are removed from the game entirely. You don't seem to get the idea that there are INHERENT ASYMMETRICS in this sort of game. No, YOU ARE NOT going to be the equal of a tank or a MAX as infantry. However, when a vehicle is destroyed, resources are lost and there is a cooldown before it can be used again. Infantry respawn nearly instantaneously. They also can wriggle through almost anywhere. They also are the only thing that can turn over capture points and overload generators. But you ignore this larger effect on the gameplay because you are just NOT okay with ANYTHING that can kill you without you personally being able to kill it back.

Know what? CALL FOR SUPPORT. Instead of insisting that infantry should be able to win over EVERYTHING, maybe you should take the COMBINED ARMS approach and CALL FOR REINFORCEMENTS. If YOU don't want to roll vehicles, find someone else who will. YOU are NOT SUPPOSED to be able to win in EVERY SCENARIO.

You want the game to be primarily infantry only? Go back to Call of Duty.

• Up x 2
  14. KlyptoK

Combined Arms? That's crazy. Soon dome shields will cover every square inch of the continent. Aircraft will fly and fight with each other.

Walls, stairs, and bridges will liter the entire landscape. Infantry will never see another tank or even know they exist. Tanks will be blowing each other up in their own little world.

Why make one big F2P FPS when you can make 3 separate in one?
    • Up x 3
  15. Zar

you want call of duty or battle field then they do that this is a combined arms game and tanks and aircraft are already weaker then most inf lol i can kill waaayyyyy more people as a ha then i can as a ESF cause aa blots out the sun with flak. light assault is funny as hell to play fly out of a spawn room blow up a tank or 2 maxes and 3 medics and 2 engis do steps 1-2 till you have 400 certs. lol if you die to tanks or aircraft as a troop you are so bad ... or you are alone and .... id kill you alone either way xD
  16. ironeddie

I think the OP might not have English as his first language or s/he might be drunk. Being drunk might explain the point of view.

Infantry own this game. Infantry kill infantry, kill maxes, tanks & air craft, capture bases, heal other infantry, re supply infantry & repair vehicles, bases etc.

Anyone who was around from the start & watched vehicles get nerfed hard knows the devs have been favouring the foot soldier pretty much since day one!
  17. CrashB111

....Hasn't the game been InfantrySide 2 since they gave them the AV turret, LA C4, ESRL's, and the new MAX AV weapons?
    • Up x 1
  18. IamDH

it doesnt make sense
    What if you spawn a tank from in the base?U cant get out? Lol
  19. Kastrenzo

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about Infantry and Vehicle mechanics. Not how much you hate TE because they kill you all the time.

Just for future reference Stew360... I play on other factions and outfits other than TE. But you won't listen to anything anyone says so long as they are even remotley associated with the same Universe as TE, You're Biased,Skewed, and You just want an excuse to whine about everything
  20. FigM

Infantry has been getting too big in this game, while vehicles are getting pushed on the sidelines.

A group of 20-30 infantry can successfully destroy a large tank column and setup 500 meter No-Fly zone around them.

People who complain about infantry deaths are idiots. Infantry death means NOTHING. It just sets you back 10-15 seconds. And that's if there are no medics around. When infantry dies they lose at most a few seconds. When vehicle dies they lose 200~ resources and 6~ minute spawn timer.

Infantry don't get to complain about ANYTHING until they spawn once per minute and actually spend resource points on their AV weapons