Anybody else extremely worried about the direction the game is taking in regards to bases?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Revel, May 25, 2013.

1. Blashemer

Might not work on the forums, so you'll probably have to go to the actual webpage. Start from 1:17:00 and watch from there. You can skip about as the rest of the show was basically all about base overhauls and those dome shields.
  2. Liquid23

I'd still like place-able defenses .... bring on the hedgehogs and concertina wire!!!

just no sand bags... I ******* hate sand bags... I've filled, moved and emptied enough of them to get sick to my stomach even seeing one
  3. tbot

With domes you seperate 100% of the AIR from an base assault.

I dont like the base design we have at the moment, they are to open without protection from vehicles and plains but domes???
    There I was hoping they would redesign the bases to give infantry and vehicles more cover to dig in and better options to get out of the spawnroom without getting spammed but domes???

Not a good idea IMHO

Why not have trenches, bunker, walls with firing slits, sandbags, tank traps, barbed wire etc.?
    Our planet has wars since human mankind exists, there are so many things you could do to give infantry more protection without separating them totally from vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  4. Liquid23

except it's not separating air out since air can fly right through said shields and rocketpod the **** out of everything as usual...
  5. jessewhat

Vehicles are for keeping the enemy in the spawn while you cap the point.
  6. tbot

Nice link, did not see it.

The new base designs look very nice (beside the dome shields). If they would put an option for infantry to get on the walls and shoot from there and give a hard cover against AIR i think they would have it perfect.

What i think is speaking for the love for AIR from the Devs was one thing the Dev said about Lib Spam:
    "having a LIB up there at 900m with nightvision spamming infantry"

Just LOL

Do those guys not know that NV for planes is around 200m? A Lib at 900 will only see vehicles. And with the projectile speed you wont hit much if the vehicle is not driving predictable. But what do i know.
    • Up x 1
  7. tbot

Check out the video, those domes hang quiet low to the ground.

You will need to be really low, so you are a very easy target for everything. You cant fly fast because you need to avoid obstacles and you have very tiny space to position yourself so you can shoot anything without hugging the next wall.

I dont see a lot of people doing this.
  8. Roxputin

Try sending a tank into an urban area without infantry ground support and see how long that tank lasts.
    Try flying aircraft over a populated area without first immobilizing the anti-air batteries.

The exception to this is if you can overwhelm an area with tanks or aircraft, then it does not matter. It then becomes a war of who's assets can outlast the others.
  9. tbot

Its the problem of basedesign.

Just an example:

The tower. Who on earth would put the flak where it is atm? You would put the flak on top of the tower so they have a 360° view and are protected from groundfire.

With good defendable bases you dont need a dome, the Flak would cover your infantry and it would separate air from ground till the flak is gone.
  10. Cryptek

I love it and so should vehicle players.

why?

Because: If infantry have dedicated places to fight over, you can then buff vehicles since infantry don't necessarily need to be able to deal with them.

That's how it was in PS1 (with it's strictly infantry indoors fighting) and hopefully they'll do the same for PS2 ;)

also the domes will let aircraft not get shot by Bursters at every base, while they can infact still drop through the dome and bomb stuff if they're feeling like taking the risk.
  11. simmi1717

OMG as a guy that play LA 83% of time. This new walls/domes is a beautiful dream. Bring it on I say. Looks more like Unreal Tournament my most favourite FPS of all time.
  12. Tomoki Sakurai

u knw so vry scare lag like **** at alert then made m dc
  13. Cinnamon

Probably for the best.

But I don't want every continent to be mountains or thick forests where you can't move tanks. What is wrong with having different continents with different terrain.

Like if we had a new continent that was good for tank battles then they should look for inspiration from ww2 with north afrika and kursk. Both regions were defined by a distinct lack of trees and mountains.

I don't want every tank battle to be like amerish. Oh, I have to drive down this narrow road surrounded by cliffs to get anywhere. What a surprise a deadly ambush what great gameplay etc.

I would like to see a real desert continent added after the jungle. One with hardly any mountains or cliffs at all. Just dunes, rocks and the occasional heavily fortified base, say separated by 2 kilometres.
  14. Playful Pony

I haven't fought on every base yet, not by a long shot... BUT, I really enjoyed fighting in the ones I did! Every single fortification now is a meaty challenge to overcome, and thats awesome! It feels great to finally defeat the enemy after an hour of intense battle, and it feels pretty damn good to know you held an overwhelming force of enemies at bay for that long!
  15. LordMondando

It appears to me like they are just giving up on trying to balance infantry and vehicles. I honestly think the game heavily favours infantry at the moment, vehicles need to be made far stronger, but far more precious.

As opposed to looking into that route, vehicles will be for the ride to the base, but will have to be parked outside in a designated zone whilst infantry combat goes on.

SEPARATE BUT EQUAL.
    • Up x 1