Wow, Lattice is BORING

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ent|ty, May 23, 2013.

1. ent|ty

Zerg vs Zerg, spam spam spam spam spam.

Played on Indar today, to observe how the lattice works. I played at various points along the 'front line', and it was all the same. Zerg or be zerged.

Shooting at everything and anything, so many targets.

My team just rolling into the next spot, surrounding the spawn and repeat as above.

Defense is the opposite. Trapped in spawn while surrounded by Zerg.

The lattice has made Zergs even more powerful. Massive battles? SOE uses the term 'battles' loosely. Considering your XP goes in half per hour because there are less targets, and your KDR fails (as a measure) because of all the spam you eat from enemies and team members.

No room for tactics, no sense in strategy, just click that green marker and follow the Zerg.

Boring boring boring. I had to log out. I won't be returning to Indar and its lattice system. I'm staying on Esamir and Amerish where there are still spec op play, 3 vs 3s, 16 vs 16, medium to large battles, and if you don't like playing in the Zerg you can join a fight elsewhere.

If this lattice is put into Esamir and Amerish and becomes the standard, I'm uninstalling this game.
    I guess, as in Danny Glover's character in Lethal Weapon said "I'm too old for this ****"
    • Up x 53
  2. R-A-B

3v3? 6v6?

Why the hell did you get this game?
    • Up x 103
  3. skeeter1337

you do know this is a war game?
    • Up x 13
  4. ent|ty

I noticed how you picked out just a part of the post, and ignored the rest, to make some kind of point....

"there are still spec op play, 3 vs 3s, 16 vs 16, medium to large battles, and if you don't like playing in the Zerg you can join a fight elsewhere." (choice)
    • Up x 24
  5. Wumpus

Don't worry OP - "battle islands" are coming and you can enjoy your 16vs16 skirmishes to your hearts content. Just don't let us catch you on the mainland.
    • Up x 12
  6. HadesR

Well I understand and respect your view mine is the opposite .. I was getting tired of the 3 v 3 or hopping back to try and fight back cappers 1 v 4 .. I originally played the game for large battles ( One server Beta was about perfect ) so atm I'm enjoying them.

Could it have been fixed without going to a lattice system I honestly don't know, but I do think they should mix and match continents to offer various playstyle options.
    • Up x 10
  7. Dis

And this is different how?
    • Up x 1
  8. NoctD

The lattice promotes big fights, either that, or getting steamrolled.

But at least the maps are a lot more sensible now, vs. how people used to end up with islands of territory detached from the WG and kept on going.
    • Up x 1
  9. Bloodmyth

Surely we need some :eek:
  10. HMR85

Why was a separate thread needed for this when we already have 5 others?

Now, the lattice is fine. While I respect your opinion I have to disagree and say you are wrong. There is plenty of areas outside of the primary battle for small squad combat. If you still want to participate in the main fight but not be directly in it then try setting up some Ambush locations. Try going after the enemy Sunderer. Try pushing down another lane that has less guys in it and don't tell me there isn't. We play on the same dam server. You have numerous options available to you so start using them. If you wish for me to go on I will be happy to.

For everybody else tactical and strategic game play is still there in the game. Look at your map and learn to use it. You have a ton of filters in there to help. I am leaving it at that.
    • Up x 17
  11. Hands Down

"Lattice" is a good step forward. It is not perfect, and must be the first step of many more to come - or one can only hope.
    • Up x 5
  12. Shadeofcircle

Said no one who didn't want to ghost hack....
  13. void666

By "spec ops' you mean "ghost capping"?
    • Up x 16
  14. Roxputin

Here..I did all the compiling for you from all the Pro-Lattice and Con-Lattice players. Accurate to +/- 50%.

[IMG]

LATTICE PROS:

• Ghost Capping is alleviated
    • Large Battles Can Be easily found
    • Clear front lines
    • Bases are being defended properly
    • Downtime is lessened
    • Choke points
    • More strategy
    • Ghost capping lessened
    • Nonstop intense battles
    • No back hacking
    • Less options to attack (11- 6 bases linked)
    • Adds to meta-game
    • No more whack-a-mole
    • Made platoons fight instead of avoid each other
    • More bases are being utilized
    • More PS1 like
    LATTICE CONS:

• Performance hit
    • Less strategy (Squad and platoon leaders do not direct the battle, the lattice does)
    • Sandbox aspect of the game nullified
    • Monotonous repetition
    • Resembles Rush mode on BF3 too much
    • Boring (fighting the same battle over and over)
    • No freedom
    • Hinders small squads
    • Less options to attack (11 -6 bases linked)
    • Mindless or dumbing down the game experience (predictable)
    • Capturing bases are meaningless
    • Certain bases should be linked that are not
    • Not enough cover
    • No flanking
    • No small battles (meatgrinders)
    • Getting steamrolled
    • Resources get depleted
    • Fights are too linear
    • Cannot attack adjacent bases
    • Choke points
    • Vehicle spam
    • Every battle is static
    • Lattice too cluttered
    As you can see some concerns seem to overlap.
    • Up x 24
  15. MorganM

I was still able to find plenty of objectives that had a MAXIMUM of one squad; it was usually just a hand full of people.

Look around the map. Roll over the bases and objectives and you'll see Enemies Detected 1-12.

I too often had fun with small skirmishes of skilled players at bases where the big platoons weren't at. It can be fun and competative; I get that. However that has not dissapeared from the game. Theres still fights like this to be found on Indar; just fewer of them. There's two other continents where you can go find that kind of engagement.

Just look how long it took them to roll out lattice on Indar. It's going to be just as long for each other continents. Plenty of time dude; breathe... chillax.... enjoy the ride.
    • Up x 1
  16. PyroPaul

... like how a majority of the 'pro' list is effectively 'no ghosting' and 'bigger fights' but in different words while a majority of the 'cons' are viable concerns...
    • Up x 11
  17. IamDH

i havent even downloaded GU09 yet and even i know thats a lie
    Are you trying to tell me that hex is better than lattice?
  18. Juvante

In my opinion, the lattice made the game fun again. I got tired of futile defense or ghost capping.

Now players have a very good idea of where to be, so you have large numbers of players converging on the location. My experience with the system the other night was VERY POSITIVE. I finally had people helping me defend, had massive fun battles, and when attacking a base, I didn't have to wonder if people would use my sundy spawn. They knew where they had to be, so they showed up. Which is why lattice shines. Awesome system. Thank you SOE.

OP, if you don't like big battles, you signed up for the wrong game. This isn't counter strike, team fortress 2 or battlefield 3. This is planetside 2. Learn how to adapt or uninstall the game. Going back to the old system would just return it to having everyone all over the place, ghost capping or having situations where a base under attack would predictably NOT get any help because people would have 20 different bases to choose from. This is why I had been away from the game for quite awhile, it got boring as hell.

I got tired of the faction being spread thin all over the place. Lattice brings people together in a way that outfits can't because you can't tell everyone what to do. In addtion, you have multiple fronts to chose from so you can still cut off zones. Very good system. Can't wait for it to be implemented to the other zones.
    • Up x 5
  19. Spookydodger

I think you might be suffering from not being able to see the forest for the trees. Just because there is a front line, doesn't mean you have to fight on it. Just because there is a mass of soldiers, doesn't mean you have to fight them.

Be the scouts that find weaknesses in the line. Be the harassment units that go behind enemy lines and attacks the "front line" from its rear. Be the infiltrators that go back to the next point of attack and preps an area for invasion. Sit off to the side of the major avenues of advance and wait for them to go by and pick off stragglers, weakening the assault for those that prefer big battles.

There are so many ways to flank now it is astounding. Whereas before the battlefield was a mess of small unit engagements, now it is a more unified front with more opportunities to mess with the sleeping giant rather than fighting in a COD map that just happens to have no borders to the next COD map.

The lattice system hasn't taken away your options, it just gave options back to those that came here for massive battles. There are still small unit tactics going on, they just happen to be shoulder-to-shoulder with other small units.

Think of yourself as the 101st airborne, and this is the Normandy Invasion. Small units had a critical part in one of the biggest battles in the history of mankind, and they have a role in the lattice, too.
    • Up x 21
  20. R-A-B

Funny, I looked at the con list and majority were just different ways of saying "same fight".
    • Up x 9