Are you excited for the lattice system?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LGhost1904, May 21, 2013.

1. LGhost1904

Personally, I feel they should leave Amerish with the hex system.

I think it's good that they force platoons to fight each other instead of avoiding each other, and that's exactly what lattice will do. I just hate how it puts the game on rails, the game will suddenly not be as deep. A lot of potential use of strategy is gone with the lattice.

I think the issue is that people just can't handle the hex system because they don't know what they're doing. I'm mostly talking about the outfit/platoon/squad leaders, they can't get organized. Most of em' do mass recruitment where they get so many members and then they expect 600 members to learn their "strategies/tactics"... Those strategies are usually just basic common sense, at least for people who know the game. You can't blame them for having simple tactics because they have their squads open to the public the majority of the time which would accumulate a lot of beginners. Some try though, they do formations. training sessions, base strategy and such but with so many people in the outfit, they won't ever be able to call out a strategy and expect it to be performed with perfect execution fast, they're training 24/7...

Another issue is outfits in factions not working together and even having problems with each other. Y'all have to work together if y'all want to win this alert or cap this continent as a faction. It does happen every blue moon and it's music when it does, but not enough to win consistently. You can't organize a faction when your outfit is barely organized.

A lot of outfits don't know where to go, when to defend, what to defend, when to attack, what to attack... Most of em' don't have any goals to achieve except to cap a base, you can't expect them to defend something. Too many times I see people go straight and I mean in a straight line to another factions warp gate, as if that's the goal of the game. They act like the front lines are only at the base they are in when they are actually the territories closest to your warp gate not owned by your faction... People complain about ghost cappers but that's a two way street, your faction should have never gave them the opportunity to ghost cap in the first place.

Some of this could be SOE's fault... While I personally enjoy the goals of capping a continent and winning alerts, I could see how that isn't enough for some people. Or maybe it is but there isn't enough incentive. Giving XP to play on an alert works good, most people will jump on alerts.. The bonus for capping a continent without an alert doesn't drive anyone, just change it up, give people a better reason to want to cap a continent outside an alert.

Anyway, I would love for the hex system to stay on Amerish and use the lattice on the other two... I feel that with time, advanced players will want more from the game after playing the lattice a while. SOE has just gotta make some adjustments/fixes on the hex system... Figure out how to keep pops even... After that, don't reward the losing factions of an alert at all (for example). Finally, figure out a better incentive to cap a continent.

TL DR - I rather keep the hex system but have some adjustments made to it.
    • Up x 2
  2. Mastachief

Lattice > hex
    • Up x 3
  3. Erendil

Better intel, command & control tools, communication, and defenses > Lattice

Lattice is a copout that only covers up the real issues.
  4. Mastachief

The lattice is the start.
  5. St0mpy

no
    • Up x 2
  6. jdono67894

I would be excited for the lattice if we still had a high number of players.
    Outfits that used to be able to field 3 platoons can only get 3 squads now, so it probably won't be too spectacular.
  7. Arsinek

This game was released with no point. It still has no point. They basically put out a game that has combat with no objective. Amazingly bad game design IMO. I get tired of just kills, I want something to work towards. Like people bring up tactics and strategy, for what? There is no objective. Its just a game where you wonder around and kill people, thats it. I stopped playing months ago but still follow it hoping theyll add an actual "game" to go along with the combat.
    • Up x 1
  8. DeadLamb

everyone gets how the hex system works.. Game has been out long enough for people to have hundred of hours into it and the hex system takes all of a few minuets to explain. The problem is people play games to "pew pew pew /big explosion pew pew" not sit and watching an egg timer spin around some random empty base..

The hex is fine if the server pop was full and the front line was spread across a bunch of hex areas. The problem is with out that level of population you end up looking for a fight and having to deal with random ghost caps. Something you can't stop unless one wants to play "Egg Timer 9000" and just sit in an empty base and wait for some random lone BR 5 guy to show up.. yawn..

outfits, while better organized are still made up of game players who want more "pew pew" and less "YES!! Now the timer is at 3:32, no wait, 3:31.. I can't wait until it hits 3:26!!"... That's why few rush to stop ghost caps on non-alert maps and it's only until the last 30min of an alert that most people really start to focus on defense.

So I'm looking forward to the lattice being it's new to the at least this version of Planetside and I want to see if it will work out. They can always try something new or change it or whatever. That being said, I still think a simple fix of having to put at least 3 or maybe even 6 players on a cap to get it started would have solved the bulk of the ghost capping issues.
    • Up x 1
  9. The Fizz

I am really excited for the lattice system and will never understand how people think it will make ps2 a "game on rails." It doesnt take away any choice as far as actual fighting is involved. The only thing that is changed is now you have to take bases in order. At any given time, however, there will still be 2, 3, or even 4 bases to attack all at once.
  10. Bill Hicks

Lattice system will favor NC. We love to turtle.
  11. WalrusJones

I am concerned on how it will work with 7X as many people as it was designed and tested for.

I am also saddened for some of my favorite bases being removed.
  12. Sen7ryGun84

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. My communications are down for the next 10 to 20 days while I move house so it should be well established by the time i get back. The people fighting it are just worried about the sky falling. There will be plenty of room for meaningful battle tactics, flanking and "behind the lines" logistical attacks. The haters will fall into line, very few will leave.

I feel it's going to be better for new players and retention too. With a more streamlined series of frontlines, new players being hot dropped into the sh*tstorm will at least know which direction to shoot and which way to run for some cover and breathing space.

Get in the lattice. As soon as that's done, get in a quick tutorial that actually explains how the game works for the new guys.
    • Up x 1
  13. Teegeeack

Yeah, why not? I was against it at first but change is as good as a rest.
  14. r1stormrider

im really excited for the lattice. the pro-hex crowd may say its going to limit strategy and tactics (ghost capping) but it wont. its going to have the bases made only to be attacked in order, but the how and the when will be entirely up to us. the lattice worked wonders for ps1 and it will do the same here. keep in mind however, that this is only the FOUNDATION for what will bring forth the meta-game into ps2. when it arrives, everyone is going to have a total blast! just give it time and be patient. this is only just the beginning
    • Up x 1
  15. NoctD

Bring it on. At least its going to stop silly disconnected territories that I see a lot right now.
  16. MasonSTL

Lattice will really shine when more continents are added as well as continent locking. Just give it some time to get used to the map and the flow of the battle. As of now the hex system has its benefits but IMO it spreads the frontline too thin.
  17. Chilly1

A good change, really. I think it will HELP those with lower pop. Too frequently we are spread to heck and watching 3 guys ghost cap a territory, simply because we can't afford to thin out anymore.
    • Up x 1
  18. HadesR

Nope.

Not until they fix the server lag and random redeploy crashes .
  19. FateJH

But you could already choose to not attack a base.
  20. Trucky

NO, INVISIBLE PEOPLE NOT RENDERING, NOONONONO

[IMG]