Get rid of friendly fire, people are griefing like crazy.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AzK, Nov 21, 2012.

1. RichBits

That's basically what similar games (such as Empires) had to do in order to reduce griefing and allow for more ease of driving around the place.
  2. Vetala

I like FF, it does get frustrating sometimes when I've got my turret out and people are to stupid to realise you don't walk infront of it, got me locked out in beta so I don't tend to use it as much now which is a shame as it can be a useful bit of kit but like I said many other players aren't intelligent enough to allow it to be used effectively enough.
  3. Dragonzord86

What about those that are griefing by standing infront of tanks? Shouldnt get punished for running them over...
  4. Praxical

I really haven't had a problem with the grief system. I see people here complaining about getting locked after killing a couple guys -- I call BS. I've squished three or four guys at a time when I was first learning to drive tanks and didn't get locked. I've also blown up several squadmates in quick succession when learning tanks. I just got really, really careful afterwards.

I don't like the idea of punishing drivers based on how many people they've squished. Sometimes it's unavoidable -- like when another vehicle rams you and sends you over the guys who were taking cover behind you. I do think that something should be done so that tanks push more at lower speeds and squish less. And please dear god please put infantry collisions in.

Something that I think -would- be helpful would be to -reward- players who have a lower-than-average grief score per unit of time played. Give 'em extra XP or skillpoints, or a one-day boost or something. Peg it so the 5-10% best not-griefers on the server get the reward. Because it's based on averages, this means it wouldn't punish the occasional griefing incident badly, 'cause everyone gets at least a few a day.

I'd also like something done to show enemies off better. Sometimes they don't have the red caret over their head, sometimes they do. I've gunned down allies because I didn't notice their blue caret against a background and thought that they were enemies. A nice way to reinforce this might be to cause part of the sight reticule to flash red if it's centered on an enemy or green if it's on a friendly. The IFF system really needs fixin'.
  5. Makovorn

As long as a friendly-fire system exists, I do believe some punishment is necessary to prevent griefing, however as it is, I find it very hard *not* to accidentally kill teammates, especially in cluttered areas and especially with people running in front of (and behind) vehicles.

That said, if someone does get weapon's locked, I strongly believe they should still be able to participate in some useful way i.e. healing, or dropping ammo and so on. As it stands now, a weapons lock is as good as a ban or suspension, which I think is a bit harsh, considering that there are other ways players could contribute if they find themselves in this predicament.

I also find the lack of a clear and precise way of showing you how much you're affected by this anti-griefing system quite silly. It's ironic as well, considering that a method of griefing would be to intentionally place yourself in the line of fire. Stupid? Yes. But griefing is very seldom logical, save for the enjoyment some players get out if it.
    • Up x 1
  6. Atillius

I understand how it is Rich, my point is that only a select few should shoot, this can be accomplished via teamwork using comms and couple that with an organized outfit on comms, its not a panacea, but only once people learn discipline then people will still be hit via FF. The other option is DO NOT SHOOT if you will flag your mates, or set a firing limit, once the target goes beyond the limit, take your finger off the mouse button.

It works for me, I rarely hit my mates. When I do, its usually when I am on an mana turret, and the same characters keep walking IFO me....that's a point of frustration, especially when I have been sitting there for a while. But since stupidity in a game is not painful, I must do more to keep my situational awareness and be more vigilant about not hitting my mates.

That's my point. Enjoy the game!
  7. Synsir

I was trying to shoot a Lib out of the air with my Magrider the other day. Hit one of the Scythe that was chasing real close - I loled.
    Was shooting an A2A Rocket at some Mossi, it hit the Scythe that he was dogfighting - Received a warning.

But griefing? Didn't see or do yet. Sure sometimes you have the feeling half of your deaths is from your friendly faction members, but I give them the benefit of the doubt. However a mate of mine, he likes to snipe a lot and when some other sniper desides to cuddle with him he seeks a different spot. Just about every third time it happens he just shoots the other guy in the face. Can't really blame him I guess.
  8. Imnuktam

This game will always need and have friendly fire.

Take it away and it will be spamitside with explosives in everybattle. I never liked a game where I am in a firefight with someone and his friend helps by throwing a grenade in the middle of it because he is somehow immune to friendly shrapnel tearing through his body.

That said, they could definitely adjust the damage so you at least did a little less damage to friendlies than enemies, but not enough that said spammers could throw grenades mindlessly.

I have actually had quite a different experience from the op. I have noticed far fewer tk's (probably under 5 on each of my guys) since this went live. I expected to get more than in beta but i actually get far less. Thank gawd after only 3 months the devs saw fit to go right back to the system ps1 had that prevented you from killing each other in warpgate. Why again did we need to be able to shoot and kill our own empire inside the warpgate? Good addition, hope that dev got canned when they finally fixed it.
  9. Lowerydro

Weapons fire is fine.

Driving vehicles is fine if you stop for everyone and let them pass. Use "T" when you are driving and don't need to shoot.

The problem I see is people will get a MBT in the middle of a huge fight, park it in the middle of all the troops and then try to scurry around in it to avoid fire and run over half the team. I watched one driving around the shielded area under a bio lab running over everyone that spawned so he could hide in the shield.

Infantry needs to stay off the roads in large fights, vehicles need to stay off the hills and infantry paths unless they are careful. That will solve 90% of your problems and the grief system is forgiving enough to get around the rest. Yes, infantry will run out in front of you, so YOU have to be aware of them and watch where you are going.
  10. AdamantK9

My biggest issue with friendly fire is no friendly indicators over unmanned vehicles and people being able to destroy your vehicles INSIDE the warp gate when you are not in them.

I've had my reaver destroyed twice by rockets and once trampled over by a tank.. all at the warp gate.. and when you have a 10 minute wait time and 200 materials it gets annoying.
  11. Plagueth

and it sucks even more when you have dumped your hard earned money into the game to get a new weapon and you can never use it, thats ****** sony for ya, they have ruined alot of games, excluding this is its great just with some really poor not thought through features. i mean i will NEVER pay a monthly sub or even put another cent into this game, why would i? after your weapons are locked it stops becoming a FPS and becomes a first person spotter game (just spot and hope someone shoots him before he shoots you) im just curious guys, does the weapon lock prevent you from getting TK? cause it does nothing of the sort for me...
  12. siddar

Hunt them down and kill them then.
  13. Advanced Darkness

haha hilariously true. no burglar at my house yet but i'm still not leaving my doors and windows open and unlocked when i'm not home.

Like someone else said the penalty needs to be stiffer. Weps got locked way quicker in PS1...i guess the devs knew the forums would be flooded with "why are my weps locked?" posts so they kind of threw it out. Ive only actually heard of one person getting their weps locked here and that was a few months back.
  14. 13lackCats

Black Triangles and lesser exp for bad FF offenders

Pink triangles and lesser exp for bad FF victim offenders
  15. Hermit92

Like someposts had already said, FF is needed to keep weapon spam out of the game. Been seeing some suggestions on penaties for TK and maybe SOE can go with something like this: If a player TKs a set amount of teammates within a span of time, eg. 30 min, then the player is banned for a while before he can log in as the same character. Repeat offenders might be penalized heavier.
    • Up x 1
  16. Beartornado

I'm perfectly fine with people using the forum search functions, but you seriously need to look at the dates. This thread was shotdown in 2012 and it can still be shot down in 2013.

People need to be more aware of their situations, and the weapons lock is harsh enough to hurt people who make no effort to avoid TKs or do it intentionally.

I used to die to TK's all the time in my first week of play. After a week if you still can't figure not not to stand in the path of vehicles, or look both ways before crossing the battlefield, then its your problem. The same applies to real-life. You have to be defensive when travelling and assume everyone around you is a moron and cannot see you.

And don't step in front of friendlies to try and take their spot while they are shooting. I take no issue in gunning you down if I'm trying to shoot an enemy and you get in the way.
  17. JudgeDeath

Thread necromancers everywhere !
    [IMG]
  18. Duff_Chimp

You are like the vast majority of people that I encounter that do not know the meaning of the word. Grief.

If I kill you or your vehicle, even on purpose it is NOT griefing.
    If I repeatedly kill you and/or your vehicles, whilst harassing you in tells or chat. This is griefing.

Please can people learn to tell the difference. I always lol every time I kill a friendly when they start getting all pissy and saying they will report me, get their outfit to report me. Never once been suspended. At least the mods know what griefing is...
  19. loleator

Friendly fire should be removed. The most frustrating and infuriating moments you will ever live in PS2 are related to teamkills.

If somebody wants to ruin your game experience he will do it unless you stay at the warpgare (FF protected).

Make explosive rounds explosions disable upon friendly contact, and bullets clip on friendly players. People will zerg in front of spawn rooms, disabling their own team's tank spam.

2 problems solved in 1 shot.

That's the common missconception from PS2 players. I have played tons of cool FPS games and they had FF disabled. There was no problem with it.

Here's the deal.
    Remove all kinds of friendly fire (bullets, explosions, ramming damage) but:
    1º Bullets clip on friendly players.
    2º Explosive rounds cause no explosion upon contact on friendly players and the round itself clips on friendlies.
    3º You still get damaged by your own AOE (to avoid c4 traps and other abuse).
    4º Grief points still exist and still block your weapons.

Results:
    People will be more prone to stand in front of you (they are like that now) you can't hold M1 because you will get you weapons locked.
    As a result of this tank spam will also be solved: (blue crosses represents infantry)

[IMG]

The benefits:
    No more people teamkilling you to overload a generator.
    No more people that can't kill an suderer for hours and then they just log on an alt and can destroy it with 2 mines (100 certs) in minutes.
    No more people that want to ruin your gameplay killing you over and over again because you are good and you're killing other faction tanks or planes.
    No more idiots that kill you for absolutely no reason or destroy your useful Radar Flash just because it's on a hard to reach point and they are bored.

I sincerely hope people start realizing how easy it is to deal with massive threats by switching and teamkilling so friendly fire gets disabled and people can't grief again so easily. It's too annoying and impossible to deal with. By the time you find a mod, the damage is already done.

I should be happy to find a safe landing spot next to a friendly ammo sunderer and a friendly MBT to ressuply and repair my ESF. However as a result of the avobe I'm NOT and I run from there like hell because I have been killed by tons of "friendly tanks" when repairing next to the road and they having seen me since 30 secs ago and as they pass by they destroy my plane out of pure fun. I FEAR my teammates AS MUCH as I fear enemies.

That feeling, created by countless INTENTIONAL teamkills isn't right on any game.

Disabling FF for just <X BR doesnt work. people will get used to shoot friendlies and get confused when they get over that certain BR. It needs to go completely.
  20. Phrygen

Azk got shot down hard on this idea. :D