Vanu`s Charge Up Pistol

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bolticus, May 1, 2013.

1. Marinealver

Because they forgot to make other pistols charged up (guess they were afraid of being called too much of a halo copycat with shields and all. Too late)

Atleast we are finally getting weapons with variable energy settings. Not just semi-auto lasers and pump action energy weapons. I will admit the charge up feature is a little weak on vehicle damage.
  2. Xanolith

Exactly, and I believe this is the point most of this thread is trying to get across. The pistol is just a catalyst for the argument.
    • Up x 1
  3. JudgeDeath

If I could get any pistol it would be the TR repeater.

That pistol does the role of a sidearm the best. You pull it out if you run out of clip in maingun and enemy is charging in ... repeater does the "oh ****" situtations the best.

Charge up pistol and charge up max-weapons .. charge up this and that is just lazy and bad design. Normal shots hit like a warm summer wind and charge up shots are "accurate" but still lame damage. Its not versatile its very limited. Unless you consider dying without shooting even one shot or dying while shooting nice light effects without any function as versatility.
    • Up x 2
  4. Izriul

Well the lashers biggest fall back is that it's a very situational weapon. You don't have it when you need it for the most part, and people don't usually carry it around with them as a primary. It's usually taken out (at least for me) when there's a situation that requires it and the stars and moon align making sure everything is in place (Sundy to equip it, proper narrow area's with plenty of people around and support so you don't get bumrushed since it's a great big neon sign saying shoot me!)

With a pistol, it would at least be able to be pulled on the fly as soon as a situation arises while still having a capable primary. Though, it's not something I would want really, but I could see it used more at least.
  5. Fumblewatt

Only if it looks like a hairdryer!
  6. E-Fuze

Why can't they just give Vanu a weak pistol that fire a fast laser than can pierce enemies.

Kinda fits Vanu's theme.
  7. Liquid23

than you should have no fear... if no one likes charge up weapons they won't sell... and if they don't sell SOE won't make more... it's just that simple...

if what you say is true than they won't sell and SOE will switch to something else that does sell... you can cry and whine all you want but the only talk a business listens to is what you say with your wallet
  8. TeknoBug

Charge up pistol?

Those of you who has played Planetside 1, remember the Spiker?
  9. Xanolith

So your suggestion is to just deal with crappy versions of superior weapons on other factions until market forces outside the game eventually change things at a glacial pace?
    • Up x 1
  10. Izriul

Yes, the repeater has so much synergy with other weapons. A bolt action sniper has access to a quick RoF CQC when needed. While the NS weapons do a lot of damage and good to finish off a hit with a sniper, there's often a lot of overkill which just isn't needed, and it requires a lot more skill to use. If someone's on 1 bar of life, spraying all over the place is a perfect finisher. It also has synergy with low damage weapons like SMG's, especially with TR's trait of extra rounds. It's just a good solid weapon all round that can work in most scenarios, while also being capable of single shot (which I'm convinced many TR don't seem to know). On both my VS and NC characters I use the NS pistols, but on TR I stick with the repeater. It's just a damn fine, polished weapon
    • Up x 1
  11. Fumblewatt

Maybe we can use them in a group to make them useful
    • Up x 3
  12. Liquid23

you already have charge-up weapons... if SOE is making more than obviously the ones you already have are selling... and as long as they sell SOE will make more... I'm saying stop buying things you think are crap... I mean between the test server, VR and trials you have every opportunity you possibly could to test **** before blowing actual money on it

by all means complain about the ones that have already been released if you feel they are not what they should be... and get on the test servers when newer ones are coming and complain... do a wall-o-text post about how you hate the charge up mechanic if you feel like...

I'm just saying as long as they sell well SOE will keep on rolling them out because if they sell SOE will assume people like them... a few post from the forum vocal minority won't outweigh the sales...
  13. Zombo

agreement with the OP, way to give a faction which allready has the crappiest pistols another crappy pistol

and no, no amount of damage the charge-up pistol will do will make this better, even if it would OHK people in the chest
    a pistol is a side-grade, meant for emergency close-quarters combat when ammo runs out, this is the ultimately last weapon you want to have to charge up to kill someone

other things that might be better:

1)Actually a real laser pistol:
    no travel time, medium CoF (you cant use it on range), good damage, if you desperately want to have it charge up, just add laser beams with each charge, being like a pump-action shotgun at the highest charge (this is the only way charge-up would be usefull for a pistol) think Fallout 3 laser pistol

2)A pistol with splash damage, which however would be pretty useless anyway

3)Electric Pistol, able to deal damage through shield

4)Damage-over time plasme pistol: finish your enemy though he has killed you

I am going to puke when vanu gets another re-skin of the damn Lasher
    it is okay as a rocket-launcher, but giving it to a max in a gimped version was a failure, and wanting to have a pistol working the same way is just lazy from your side, SoE, stop with the damn charge-up sh*t
    • Up x 2
  14. Mefi

The devs didn't even said anything about new pistols, the last update of roadmap post was on 26 jan. They ignore all questions about the upcoming pistols.
    If they add them on test server it'll be too late. VS asked for different mechanics for Vortex but nothing was done.
    The Lasher is quite bad for CQC. I would understand if there were 2 main weapons and not main + pistol. In that case everything is fine.
    But I would be disappointed with another Lasher or Lancer. VS already have 2 Lancers and several Lasher-like weapons: PPA for tank and ESF, Comet for MAX. Likely, both buggies will get PPA as well.
  15. Xanolith

I think you make some good points here. I usually just play medic or drive a tank, so my own experience with the VS heavy weapon is limited to just VR. I thought it was pretty terrible though considering what I have to contend with while driving my Magrider, so I have voted with my wallet to not purchase it.
    From personal experience though, before the VR existed I bought a couple weapons after trialing them because I hoped that even if they were underperforming, that maybe I just didn't have the right attachments for them. I felt that the potential may be high, but I just couldn't tell from the trial. Sadly, I was wrong and never even use them anymore.
    I think VR also has a similar issue that you can't get a real good feel for the weapon when all you have are stationary targets. If there was a way to duel or something where you could actually field test it with someone, perhaps you could make a more informed purchase. I don't want to get too off topic complaining about VR, but I think this uncertainty could drive sales artificially. Since there's no refund on station cash, even to just do a trade in to spend somewhere else (I'm fine with no cash refunds), I think there's a lot of people who decided to take a chance and now regret it. The only real way to then voice your opinion is through forum posts similar to this.
    My overall point is sales aren't everything. Instead it could mask discontent, and drive them to continue along a path no one really wants. If we could refund station cash for weapons we don't like and the certifications invested into them, I think we would have a much more robust sales driven system to discover what works and what doesn't.
  16. Liquid23

I agree that you shouldn't only go by sales (tho I would bet money it is used as one of if not the most important metric here) as I've bought weapons that have never been used again .... but let us not forget SOE also has access to complete metrics from everybody... they can see what weapons are used the most and which are rarely used... they have many many more sources of information than just sales... forum post are for sure at the very bottom of that list... only a tiny fraction of players even visit the forum let alone post and a majority of those that do post do so because they have a problem to begin with... most happy and content players don't come to post here because they have no need to... forums are not really accurate representation of the population...

as I said tho I'm sure SOE does look at the weapon usage stats and whatnot... but honestly as long as a type of item is selling well, especially repeatedly, that fact will trump ANY other... it doesn't really matter if the people buying the item think it's crap so long as they keep buying them and the next one

if you need an example just think about the pump shotguns... nothing but hate and bile spewed over them in the forums since their release... if we went by forum posts it would seem like they were hated by the majority (even tho I bet a large percentage of those who posted that went and bought one)... but hell they sold well so we got more because SOE will assume that the majority wants more since they all went and bought up the first ones...
  17. pR4cs

I just hope they realize all the current charge up weapons SUCK. Seriously, I'd lvoe to see the kills/day with all the new ESRLs and ES Max weapons. Twice VS got screwed.

CHARGE UP WEAPONS ARE A DISADVANTAGE IF YOU HAVE TO CHARGE TO DO THE DAMAGE OF AN EQUIVALENT WEAPON !
    • Up x 1
  18. Xanolith

Admittedly the Phobos is my favorite weapon in the game. :)
  19. that_darn_lurker

No need to worry guys. They just released NS revolvers. Those things are bad ***. The charge pistol will be good for some forum lulz.
  20. Nogrim313

a three shot burst mini lancer would be actually useful, therefore no chance VS would get it