Bring back GU07 Missile Trajectory

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheBloodEagle, May 2, 2013.

1. Zenith

So they add a mechanic, and instead of slightly changing it, they all but remove it completely. Sounds about right for SOE. :(
    • Up x 1
  2. Zaik

no, i know exactly what you were talking about. that picture implies that the missile flew straight out of your body instead of out of the launcher pre-GU7, which flat out isn't the case.

anyway, it was probably slightly excessive now that the missiles do damage where they hit rather than where you stand.
    • Up x 1
  3. DrazahNede

Striker became more effective with this change
  4. Athanasius

Hmmm, that's weird, as at one point people were insisting that where a shot 'hits' a target for purposes of deciding which armour value to use is purely based on where a line drawn from where you fired to where the target was when hit (and its orientation then), such that in the video linked to in another reply to you there should be no way the rockets can hit 'behind' as it would always count them as hitting the front even if they arced over/behind/down.

I guess those people were wrong then.

I can definitely see that being an issue. I need to go test the behaviour in VR (I only have dumbfire and Annihilator on live, and the latter has weird/different tracking behaviour anyway) and on live where I can.
    • Up x 1
  5. MangoPunch

Turns out that whole directional thing only applied (and still does) to dumbfire rockets. It's weird and confusing.
    • Up x 1
  6. AdennTM

As it stands now, some Striker shots shoot BACKWARDS and hit the ground behind you causing damage to yourself sometimes. This is a ridiculous/dumb/idiotic/stupid change. Switch it to how it used to be.
    • Up x 1
  7. UnrealGaz

I like this new change,if a tanks on a hill it will fire in an arc and hit the tank far more reliably
  8. TheBloodEagle

I haven't see too much of the new auto-flight path from GU08, just from some testing ,it's been buggy. But the GU07 mechanic allowed for this kind of strikes already but it was based (trajectory) on a players own judgement rather than even more easymode.

That was EXACTLY the case pre-GU07. EXACTLY (not straight out of the "body" but straight out of the launcher). In GU08 it isn't exactly the case but still almost the same to pre-GU07 (there's a very slight curve now).

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  9. Kupcake

No. The understanding of this hasn't changed, and the mechanics haven't changed. What you're talking about is just a case of some people only understanding things halfway.

For tanks and other vehicles, facing is determined by point of fire for unguided weapons. This is mostly an issue for tank duels and the like.

Guided weapon fire doesn't count as a normal projectile, though, in this game. Once fired, these missiles are more like a separate entity, less a projectile and more a vehicle. So facing is still calculated using the location of the source of the damage, but rather than that source being the person firing it, the source location for guided projectiles is actually the location of the projectile itself when it explodes.

People have known this since lock-ons first appeared. It just isn't very widely spread knowledge.
  10. Jalek

That makes sense, the Phoenix and eng AV rocket are controlled as aircraft, if you invert your flight controls you notice this immediately.