Replacing K/D with SPM? Don't make me laugh

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jrv, Apr 25, 2013.

1. 9Fingers

I agree. A lot of players who care about their precious K/D are not going to defend a base to the last man in the hopes re-enforcements will arrive. I'm sick of seeing players sitting inside a spawn shield instead of helping to defend the base. What are they doing? I wonder how that can be fun for more than 5 minutes?

I have seen a handful of really good players who play aggressively when needed and help out their team and still have a high K/D however they're rare and there's a lot of high K/D players who bugger off as soon as the battle is against them.

If removing the stat would promote better team play even a bit then I'd love it gone but I don't think it will happen.
  2. Intruder313

I look at my SPH every hour to see how I'm performing at a decent level.
    I try to score at least 20K/Hour and I've maintained 30K+

I don't look anyone else's scores as I don't give a stuff.
  3. Posse

I do that everyday, in fact, those kill streaks defending a point alone are the fact that makes my K/D boost (probably because the TR/NC are so stupid that they come 1 by 1 instead of storming all at once, who knows), and together with that, I always go for the C4 kills against tanks with rockets, and I can affirm that I get 2 sundy C4 kills in an hour for sure (sometimes more, depends on the battle flow and other factors) and I don't think that if I changed that my K/D would be 4.0 while playing HA, I'm not that good really as to get that beastly K/D playing infantry only (the difference between 3 and 4 is ridiculously big in the difficulty involved). While I don't dedicate to anti-tank or anti-air solely (I try to go for an all-around approach), my K/D doesn't suffer from the going to bomb sunderer suicide attacks (probably because getting to that sundy often involves killing 2 or 3 guys in the process). At least for me, my K/D depends more on how well/bad I'm playing that day

Lol, one thing is caring to have a good K/D, the other is to pretend to have a 10 K/D ratio, which is only possible by being a Lib Gunner, using mainly MBTs, only using MAX as infantry class, and so on, I care to have a good K/D but while doing what I enjoy the most, and that is playing as infantry, gunning in a Lib is fun but only for short periods of time (at least for me), I wouldn't gun a Lib all day only to get a better K/D because it won't mean anything, on the other hand, improving the K/D while playing what I like does mean something.

Btw, defending in this game nets you a MUCH better K/D than attacking, at least when playing as infantry (and without shooting from the spawn which is boring as **** and not really effective).

One thing is to play like a coward, another completely different thing is to play smart, you can play like K/D ratio matters and play in a smart way without being a coward and actually make a HUGE difference to your squad or outfit (an individual making a difference to the entire faction is not possible really, the scale is too big, the only way an individual can make a difference is by coordinating the whole faction, and that's something completely unrelated to this discussion).

So yeah, your argument is pretty much invalid, full of fallacies and counter examples for all of your statements are easily found (I myself am a counterexample to all the generalizations you stated above, along with a lot of members of my outfit, if you don't believe me you can ask anyone in my outfit). Of course, this doesn't mean that the behaviours you mentioned don't happen, but it doesn't apply to everyone who cares about the K/D.

The only truth in your argument is that K/D can be modified easily, that's true, but when you control for all of those variables (which isn't hard at all looking at the official database), then K/D says a lot (of course, it's relevance depends on which classes you play, for a HA it's very important, for a medic not so much).
  4. Fenrisk

You ignored the key points in my argument. There are plenty of play styles that don't increase kills at all while often the ones that do are low skill areas. AA, Anti- tank, Lock-ons, medics pushing points and so on vs lib guns tank guns, max shotties and so on. Your argument is pretty much invalid, full of fallacies and counter examples for all of your statements are easily found. The exact same can be said for yours and anyone who uses K/D as a scale of performance as K/D ratio depends far more on play style then any amount of skill.
  5. maxkeiser

The real point is none of it really matters. The stats should be in the game for those that want to look and those that don't can simply not look/use them.
  6. LT_Latency

Play for fun.

I could go from defending base to defending base staying inside the spawn safe zone shooting greedy player from totaly safety and rack up a insane KDR/Score per min. But it wouldn't be very fun.
  7. maxkeiser

For some people it would/might be, and that's the point. Different people enjoy the game in different ways.

Yes, some like to look at kdr. Some don't. Some like to attack, some to hang back. Some like to fly, some not. etc etc. There is no 'correct' way. Just leave everything as it is and let people get on with it with as many options/stats as possible.
  8. Posse

I already stated that when CONTROLLING for play style, K/D works as a scale of performance. So your argument there is pretty much in line with mine (it was the last sentence of my previous post, I don't need to expand on something we actually agree on, the problem was with all of your generalizations)
  9. Evil Monkey

"Heroic" people who play like their K/D ratio doesn't matter DO make a difference!

They are most commonly found....

(a) standing in front of enemy spawn trying to fire through the shields
    (b) standing around with a repair/medic tool out, along with 5-6 friends also with repair/medic tools out... all supporting ONE guy who is actually shooting
    (c) repeatedly running out of spawn shields in front of camping tanks/libs.
    (d) attempting to knife PA shotgun users
    (e) duelling it head on with MAXes with an infiltrator handgun (then promptly logging on to whine about their OPness)
    (f) crashing their ESFs into trees/hovering motionless 10m above enemies trying to "strafe" them
    (g) shooting at tanks with LMGs
    (h) racing heedless into spawn rooms once it "flips"
    (i) attempting to take burster MAXes/AA turrets head on with their ESFs
    (j) running across open ground towards base turrets
    (k) ramming enemy aircraft in their Scythe
    (l) riding on the rumble seat of random flash bikes
    (m) parking their sunderer in view of enemy spawn and/or base turrets
    (n) flicking their cloak on and off when being "sneaky"
    (0) running back and forth in front of allies. Usually they run in front of a chaingun MAX with their pistol wielding infiltrator
    (p) flinging grenades inside friendly spawn rooms
    (q) shooting at overloading generators
    (r) shooting at enemy tank consoles while the cap is in progress
    (s) repairing their tank 20m from those three enemy HAs
    (t) standing next to a friendly sniper firing their weapon wildly
    (u) driving full tilt over triangular "pizzas" in hopes they are friendly mines
    (v) zigzagging on foot in front of friendly vehicles/standing in front of the vehicle spawn, chatting with mates
    (w) driving their Sunderers/random vehicle over 100m drops in hopes of landing on its wheels
    (x) jumping up biolab lifts trying to solo the 100 enemy camping there
    (y) repair their Sunderer on the side the enemy tank is firing from
    (z) driving their MBT towards those five "oblivious" lolpod Mosquitos
  10. Fenrisk

Which nets you more kills.

Camping a area killing infantry from cover.

or

Spending time working your way to the enemy sunderer undetected and taking it out with C4/Mines/AntitankNades-Rockets.

This isn't something that happens once a hour or once every 2 hours. In base defences or attacks they have a few sunderers up at once and taking them out is the main way you win that fight. If the enemy is focused on your base you have a lot of sunderers and tanks that need dealing with and none of them net you kills most of the time.
  11. LT_Latency

I agree, I am just saying.

Don't look at your stats and assume it means someone is better then you. A player with the same skill could have a 0.5 kdr or a 4 or 5 kdr using different play styles.
  12. bobzebrick

You should write all this on your CV. It makes you a real "seller". I completely agree that when you play for K/D it negatively impacts the team, all these people are worried about is their own performance (epeen) and not the teams performance towards a greater objective. This is an MMO not an arena style shooter... Damn every FPS made today is plagued the legacy of the last few years, which IMO has watered mechanics down to the point of tedium.
  13. Jex =TE=

There are people that sit and look at their KD scores for enjoyment? :eek: Do they sit there pointing at the screen whilst they drool laughing and bouncing on their seat for hours and hours?

LOL ;)

I couldn't care less about KD. Look at it all you like or not - it ain't Zen and like a lots of things PS2, is for noobs
  14. smokemaker

If K/D really didn't matter these threads would not exists.

For those that want it removed know this to be true. Otherwise they would not be pushing to remove it.
  15. CoffeeBreak

Hmmm my session KDR for last night was 200:30 so a 6.66 KDR. None of my kills were from farming from a spawn room, with a Lib, or in a HE tank on a hillside pelting a spawnroom. Played almost entirely infantry. LA, Max, HA.

I won't judge another player by their KDR. But if they play 90% HA, LA, MBT, ESF, MAX, etc and have a .6 KDR and go on to say crap like "KDR doesn't mean anything, people that have high ones are just sitting in spawnrooms or farming with vehicles. I'm a good player that helps my team blah blah blah."

You know what? It may not be a good tool to judge how good someone is, but it is a pretty good indicator of how BAD they are. You play HA 96% of the time and have .6 KDR. Is spending half your time feeding the enemy kills and respawning helping your team? Sure, mindless zergs are effective. So is not mindlessly zerging. Wanna know what else is effective? Not clustering in doorways. Not charging in through the front door where the whole enemy force is shooting. Picking the best class/vehicle to accomplish the task. That's one of the biggest issues. People wanting to play "their class" rather than picking the right tool for the job.

Example: I play primarily LA. There was a huge battle in that little outpost next to Camp Connery last night. Enemy Platoons and Ally Platoons detected. I flew my scythe over and "OMG BUSTER MAXES". Jumped out on my second pass and landed on top of the antenne. Surveyed the fight. Friendly tank zerg on east side, enemy tanks on west side, them defending, us attacking, enemy reavers inbound. Jetpacked to our sunderer and switched to burster max. Others followed example and cleared the air. Noticed we weren't even going for "A" just having a pointless shootout. Switched to AI max and rushed "A" with 2 other maxes, some heavies, eng, and medics. Took "A" and held off wave after wave of defenders. End of the battle 30 kills and 1 death.

But wait maxes are cheap.... Just the right tool for the job. I knew they'd be spamming with rockets and grenades so a flak armor max has the durability and firepower for the job.

My total KDR was around 1 at BR40. It is now around 3.1 at BR70. I actually don't like it. It is not a clear indicator of how good/bad I am. If I were to reset it(which I won't even if available) it would probably be around 15. You know what it did do? It made me think about why it was so low. It made me consider how to complete the same objective without dying. Without kill 1 or 2 guys, die, respawn. Before I'd jetpack off the side of the amp station and get shot out of the air trying to C-4 the sunderer. Now I spawn at a different base grab a scythe. Rocketpod the sunder while facing toward the wall, jump out, drop two C-4, kill the sunder and land on the amp station wall. Sunder kill, several enemy kills, no death.
    • Up x 1
  16. Fenrisk

You know what the strikers average kills per hour is? 0.0 Kills per day? 0.0 kills per month? o.o

If your a heavy who focus's on killing tanks and sunderers you won't have a great KDR. If your using a striker/grounder/ann to deny air you won't have a great KDR. Most of the kills that matter in this game add nothing to your KDR but deaths. 2 c4 on a sunderer as a heavy = death more often then not.
  17. LibertyRevolution

It only matters because people want to compare their high K/D to my low K/D and call me a bad player.
    Then I look them up and it tells me they spend 90% of their time in a lightning HE tank... *golf clap*
  18. Posse

Of course it doesn't happen once or twice every hour, but you can't expect me to kill EVERY sunderer that appears, there are other people playing who do the same too, by kills I meant kills that were done by me alone, sunderer kills where I participated along with other people are many many more.

And what nets you more kills is highly situational, sometimes I got 4 or 5 kills trying to get to an enemy sundy.
  19. smokemaker

Is that a player based problem or a personal problem?

I believe that's a personal problem, but some want it to be a player based problem.
    • Up x 1
  20. CoffeeBreak

Read the rest of my post. Common sense and right tool for the job. Are you shooting from a spawn room? Are you standing in the middle of a field where the tanks can kill you? Are you up on a tower where EVERYONE is going to shoot at you? Are you by yourself?

Or are you on a hillside? Did you flank the enemy with the firepower required to defeat the enemy or atleast match them? Trying fighting armor with armor, or fighting armor with air?

Regardless, even if you don't get any kills while doing anti-armor correctly, you shouldn't get farming deaths either. Your KDR shouldn't be effected at all if you not getting kills or deaths. I love running with a burster max(don't know why, maybe because it's like a shooting gallery). I run flak armor, do NOT stand next to a spawn room where ESFs and Lib gunners are looking and take cover when in direct fire. Sometimes I only get assists and zero kills. But I don't die so no stats are even effected.

But you're just here to argue so I'm just letting you waste my effort.