[Suggestion] New capture timers are great, but we need SCUs at bases now.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Badgered, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Badgered

The new capture times are fantastic but we need to do something about the prolonged spawn camp. I think two things need to be done:

1. All bases should have a SCU. The SCU should be invulnerable (protected by a shield?) until the attackers begin to add tickets to the capture timer. When the SCU goes down, in addition to denying spawns the spawn room shields should go down and the pain field should dissipate. This allows the attackers to clean out the enemy spawn room and stop a spawn camp before it begins.

2. When the attacking faction begins to add tickets to the capture timer (ie, NC base capture bar goes purple due to attacking VS) the defending faction should be eligible for a base defense reward on par with the base capture reward in addition to the current bonus XP. This would provide the defending faction with an incentive to coordinate a counter-attack and re-secure the base.

*As a side note, it'd be great if we could see the time left on the capture/re-secure on the bar on our HUD rather than having to check the map.
    • Up x 3
  2. Deadeye

Nah. With SCUs are each outpost, an organized outfit would have a squad 2-3 bases ahead of the main force prepping outposts by blowing up all the SCUs. Even when unorganized, it'd be a field day for infiltrators driving around on invisible ATVs blowing up SCUs and noone would know they're down until they couldn't spawn at an outpost in order to stop a cap in progress (or spawn anywhere near said base).
    • Up x 3
  3. Badgered

SCUs could be untouchable until the tickets flipped to the enemy, that way they couldn't end the battle before it begins.
  4. Stargazer86

Spend 10 minutes waiting for a stupid tower to flip even though the enemy team is irrevocably trapped inside their spawn with absolutely 0 chance of escape, with 100% influence in the surrounding territories makes for excruciatingly slow gameplay.

We were capping a base, I wandered off for 15 minutes, came back, and we were STILL in the process of waiting for the timer to tick down. The better majority of people standing on the point got so bored they started killing and rezzing each other for fun.
  5. TintaBux

Simple solution to that, don't allow the SCU gene and SCU to be compromised before there is any connection.
  6. Badgered

Perhaps the bases can capture faster based on the amount of defenders at the base. Whatever they do to fix this they need to provide incentives for players to defend. I much prefer the slower capture times (and the possibility of longer, drawn-out battles) to the 20-30 second capture times for small outposts with the influence system but there has to be a happy medium between that and what we have now.
  7. ALeviathan

No, boooooring. I have yet to see a decent counter attack or at least more than a couple of ESF's and maybe a tank to get an AFK player or 2 from standing for 15 mins on the points. Once everything capped and blown up it's dumb to still have to stand around for 10 min's waiting for a cap.

The guys got sick of waiting and went and ghost capped 3 points, came back with 3 mins to spare, wait for flip, went back to ghost caps, wait another 5, kill a few defends coming back on last, finished flip, 2 hrs play time which most of it standing on a point, logged off. If this is how it's gonna be, going to loose more players.
  8. Thardus

It's already hard to break out of a well defended spawn room. Don't make it harder.
  9. McFatal

They should have waited until the lattice before putting in the timers, but still the timers are better regardless.

The problem here that you're describing is a player issue, btw. Your scenario implies that your enemy did not care about your territory.

I took part in 2 amazing re-secures since the lengthy timers came in, so your experience isn't the end all and be all of this change.

I think it also goes without saying, once the lattice comes the issue you're having will to some degree get better.
  10. LordMondando

SCU only make sense at bases with satalites, else each cap becomes a waiting game with no one to fight.

Organised units can do saves when points are lost from spawn rooms. All this would do is remove the ability to do so.
  11. Tekuila

If it's that bad you already lost, move on.
    • Up x 3
  12. MarthKoopa

But it's so much fun to be an infiltrator on the defending side of a spawn camp! Dash out of the spawn point invisible, sneak around back behind the enemies, then go on a 10 kill spree against a bunch of people just standing around not expecting me!
  13. Thardus

The zerg has. Large and organized outfits haven't. Breaking out is almost impossible without organization, numbers, and good tactics. You're almost never going to see it happen, but leave the possibility there.
  14. Tekuila

You could always leave, grab some galaxies and hit them from behind. Instead of sitting in the spawn room trying to snipe a few easy kills.
    • Up x 3
  15. Thardus

Or we could have our options open. Sniping from a spawn room doesn't accomplish anything. My outfit took a half captured Split Peak Pass back from The Enclave three times in the same night, by using superior tactics and plenty of smoke grenades to push out of the spawn room, and re-secure.
  16. Tekuila

That's great, but that doesn't make it okay to just hang out in there forever.
    • Up x 1
  17. Thardus

Well, the trick is surprise. I'm saying the ability to be able to redeploy to an outpost currently being captured is a must.
  18. Tekuila

Okay, I see your point. But consider this; it's frustrating on both parties part and not exactly fun sitting either inside that shield or standing outside it to make sure they don't push out and retake it. Once said SCU is down there needs to be a way to clear it out to force the opponents to actually do something such as attempt to take it back or move on to somewhere else.
    • Up x 1
  19. Thardus

That is doing something though. No matter how it's retaken, people will still have to be vigilant.
  20. NC_Edacyn

The scu idea at each outpost was validated during beta, it sucked. Glad they took it out and never brought it back.