Hex Lattice: Why it will breathe new life into PS2

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by kidRiot, Apr 9, 2013.

1. kidRiot

• Up x 17
  2. skoorviel

Well-written. I couldn't agree more.
  3. Snappy

Kid, did u often play PS1 as an infiltrator? I think we ran into each other :)

nice article and u are certainly correct, the lattice will be a big improvement.

Guys, if your worried about the change, just give it a chance and have an open mind.

It was good for ps1, it will be good for ps2.

Snap.
  4. kidRiot

I played PS1 as Surgile while it lasted then I quit after the first year due to travelling :)

I recommend everyone on the fence about t he lattice go on Test and really give it a chance. If you're not familiar w/it now is a good time to give it a trial run considering Test characters don't count against you in any way.
    • Up x 2
  5. Takoita

I'll have to disagree on that one. Especially that "...creativity, responsiveness and adaptability..." part. Lattice by itself will not solve our problems, it will only add to them.
    • Up x 2
  6. LordMondando

Made my points there as well.

Your seeing a lot that simply is not there in this system.

I like your optimism. But this system does one thing, create larger fights at a front defined by game mechanics.

It doesn't magically fix everything else. Other Parallel systems are needed.
    • Up x 7
  7. Ash87

The lattice alone is a step in the right direction, and I do support it's implementation, but I am with Takoita and Mondando here, other systems need to be put in place to benefit smaller outfits, and to allow the bases to hold out against zergs.

Even if we go the route of adding in another connection point at most junctions, that could help the situation.
    • Up x 6
  8. Hosp

Said it multiple times and agree with Ash and whom he agrees with. Lattice is a step in the right direction, but it alone doesn't add much meta.
    - It does need other mechanics to allow for limited backhacking (not ghosting)
    - Perhaps logisitcs again such as ANTs (i gotta think those purple crystals are a future part of that)
    - Other Capture Types (LLU or something new/unique)
    - Certainly better defenses (that one outpost I saw was a good start)

I've got a slow net connection so I haven't yet made it to the PTS. But I will first chance I get (probably over this weekend).
    • Up x 2
  9. McFatal

I think adding more connection points than there already are would make lattice a pointless change all together. That's just me though.

As for the lattice in general, there's something you guys should know. While I was watching a livestream of someone on the test server, Higby messaged the streamer saying that the current hex-lattice isn't the final product, he hinted that there is a cleaner version in the works and that the importance of the current hex-lattice is that it's functional.

I have no doubt that they will add on to this and refine it even after it goes live. Keep a look out for changes!
  10. Ash87

It could, I will concede that.

Adding too many connection points puts us back where we are currently with most defenses and whatnot, being reactionary, with little planning. With the current capture times and lanes, you know someone is coming when they are two bases up the lane. I like that myself. Yet, adding in more movement options at the Junction areas (I'm saying keep 2 connection regions, but expand junctions to be 4-5 connections), could give more choices in where people go, and help in outmaneuvering the zerg.
  11. McFatal

Do you mean the 4 junctions where you can travel from east to west as mentioned in the article? I'm not sure if that's what you're referring too. Can you give me an example?
  12. Ash87

I kind of divided up the regions into Junctions, straight aways, and facilities. Junctions are places were 2 or more lanes meet. An example would be Crimson Bluff Tower.

What I would say, is that some areas could get 4 connections, where currently they have 3. Ideally these areas would be tougher bases to crack than the 3 junction points. There is one example of this currently on the map, and that is the crown. It has 4 connections attached to it. A few other places on the map could be done similarly.
  13. Blitzkrieg

I do love how people are saying they know the game will get worse by adding more problems and so on. You can so blatantly tell they are new to the game.

Lattice will bring new life to the game as it becomes more focused.
  14. McFatal

But don't you think we have enough 4-way junctions? You have the crown as you mentioned, which I believe is the universal 4-way. Then you've got Zurvan which is the SE 4-way, you've got Allatum for the SW 4-way, and finally you've got Dahaka which is actually a 5-way(Didn't notice that until I looked it up.)

It may come down to a personal preference, but I feel like there is enough high-connection junctions that serve as good staging points, while also there is a small enough amount to consider the ones we have as valuable. These 4+ way junctions are like gateway's to each corresponding area of the map while crown is the gateway to the entire thing.
  15. Ash87

Well that is the thing, I really -can't- say for sure.

I'd like to test to see if more connections makes it better or worse.

But again, I'd also like to see something introduced in tandem with this system, that'll add more depth to base capture.
  16. McFatal

Yeah I mean it's definitely all up in the air right now, no way of really knowing unless we try it out. I'm all for that.

And I agree, I would like more added in. For cap points I would like them to revert back to ownership of the empire that controls the base after ~15 seconds with no players in its vicinity. I love the long cap times, but I don't like that you can leave the point and then spawncamp. Kind of goes against what the current system aimed to diminish.

As far as more depth though, I mean I guess I'd just be reiterating what has been said for months now on the forums. I think SOE knows what we want, they just seem to be taking it one step at a time and that's quite alright for me. Though that's another topic all together :p
    • Up x 1
  17. SavageOc

I think the lattice is a great first step in fixing the game, but like others have said it won't fix everything without other systems in place. A logistics system of some kind, be it the return of the ANT or something new, will be needed for behind-the-line objectives people can fight over that won't directly affect territory flipping. The ANT system would do well and can also create attrition mechanics at the larger facilities with 1 point. Smaller outfits would be great at seek-and-destroy missions to make sure the enemy couldn't resupply a base under siege by allies, indirectly affecting the fight there without moving the front line past it.

Forming a supply convoy and defending it from a possible attack is also a lot more fun than sitting at an empty base to defend it from a possible attack. At least if no fight comes in a convoy you feel like you've done something when you reach your destination intact.
  18. kidRiot

It won't add any problems it will remove a lot of them in fact. When you're surrounded by buddies and you just capped a base your next objective is right in front of your eyes. Or you can jump onto any of the other lattice lanes that are in direct confrontation with the enemy.

What it will also allow is smarter outfits to farm the zergs pushing along predictable lattice lanes by using the ideas I wrote - creativity, responsiveness and adaptability - to create advantageous positions to rain hell down on larger numbers. My outfit does this now where it's considered much tougher to predict things.
  19. UberBonisseur

And how do you know the game will get better by removing problems and so on ?

At this point, we're making ASSUMPTIONS.
    The lattice, in its current state, isn't BETTER. It lacks a lot of mechanics to differentiate it from a zerg-generator.

Can't tell if it's a step on the good direction because the direction is unknown.

Just think of it as:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  20. Blitzkrieg

Well things tend to get better when you remove its problems.
    • Up x 1