Ghost capping is lame.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ssidistik, Mar 25, 2013.

1. ColdCheezePizza

I completely agree with this, should be changed now that we have alerts. A few really bored smg infils hiding in the bushes can make the difference in really close alerts and no matter how insignificant some may make it seem, they do require platoons to expend manpower and valuable time to take them back. It's a pretty lame feature to include in a game that highly promotes team based gameplay, I'd really like to hear a good argument to keep ghost camping in this game, as I can't think of a single one.
    • Up x 1
  2. EvilPhd

No one paying attention to defend is lame.
    Don't worry. Your linear COD spray n pray is coming soon.
    • Up x 1
  3. Shockwave44

A ghost capper is the McDonalds order taker of Auraxis.
  4. ColdCheezePizza

defend against what, a coward cloaking in the bushes? the problem is not paying attention, its going on a goose hunt to recap a base for it to only be flipped again the second you leave.
    • Up x 2
  5. GrantonStar

I have mixed feelings about this tbh, on the one hand sorting out the ghost and ninja cappers - esp at near continent neutralize/ cap is extremely tedious and boring.

However, it it also a valid strategy, however irritating.

Overall I think it should remain, taking out strategic elements is not the answer.
    • Up x 1
  6. HellasVagabond

My only issue is that it should clearly state that enemies are in the vicinity (not that you can't figure it out but come on, how hard would that be ?)
  7. Radian12

Why ? So taking base without fighting is wrong because ?

I would like to see that people stop forcing elitist issues that don´t even mather . Why do you care about ghost cappers? I gues they do it because the want to .

This is same like everybody hates mines, C4 and stuff . Everything i hear is a BS from the FPS master race .

Stop being a god damn elitist.
  8. EvilPhd

That's war for you.
    People want to be complacent and have the game play itself rather than have an active role in paying attention.
    Dispatch a squad or a couple of fast movers. Have a couple ESFs on recon. Communication with the other outfits on your faction helps too. Sometimes they got a few spare bodies. Waxing the floor isn't much glory either. Welcome to the service!
  9. ColdCheezePizza

I dunno about you but I play games for fun and theirs nothing fun about chasing ghost capers at all, most of the platoons Ive been in are more then aware of ghost caps, its just no fun leaving the action to rush to a deserted base and run around like an idiot looking for someone that may or not still be there. Theres no strategy at all involved, if they had to actively sit on the cap for it to move, then there would have to be some real strategy of how to stay alive and keeping medics hiding somewhere off the point or a sundy hidden somewhere near. Right now the way it works, its nothing but a nuisance and a distraction to the organized outfits that actually give a shet.
    • Up x 1
  10. Copasetic

It's only a valid strategy because the game allows it to be. You could get the same strategic gameplay if you require a squad to cap a base, and you'd provide a fight (aka fun) for people responding to the defense at the same time. Surely that's a better game mechanic than one cloaker hiding in the bushes somewhere waiting for you to leave again?
    • Up x 2
  11. Kanzy

I wonder of the lattice system will end all this ghost capping mambo jombo
  12. 13lackCats

Who ya gonna call?
  13. Radian12

So do ghost cappers. Can you deny it ?

I have seen ghost caps snowball into a masive front line fight . Yeah acording to you, it´s not fun for you . Somebody did the work of capping empty bases and then sudenly you can have a batlefield to play .

I really don´t understand why do you care ? Fight your big fight and don´t care about ghost cappers.
  14. GrantonStar

But that is a valid strategy in itself. Removing a squad (more/ less) to stop a ghost cap is legitimate division of the opposing force therefor is valid. Annoying yes, I agree.
  15. ColdCheezePizza

I normally wouldn't care, but I'm a team player and sometimes your squad is chosen to go after these nolifes.

setting false fire alarms might be fun for some people, but Im sure the firefighters arent very amused.

And what game are you playing where a sundy less ghost capper miles from the front line set off a massive front line battle lol thats a pretty weak excuse to keep this lame mechanic in the game. If ghost capping wasnt allowed from the beggining, do you actually think there would be any actual suggestion threads and support pushing for this broken game mechanic.
    • Up x 1
  16. NovaAustralis

Thanks for demonstrating this.

Faction X owns the hex.
    Faction X has the most influence.
    But a lone ghost-capper from faction Y flipped the point(s) in the hex then left, so faction Y eventually gets the hex...

If a hex is going to get capped, then someone damn well better stand on the cap point until it is capped.
    Otherwise the hex should revert back to its original ownership.

This is how continents get capped at 2am in the morning...
    If the ghost-cappers actually had to stay on the cap point(s) to get the hex, the caps might take a bit longer and they'd be less inclined to pull this sad and cheap tactic.
    • Up x 2
  17. Radian12

Funny thing is that not being there gives not xp so i wonder why do ghost cappers even cap ? I gues for fun .
  18. ColdCheezePizza

Also if SOE really feels ghost capping belongs in this team based shooter, then they need to balance AI mines. As it is now TR is at a huuuuge disadvantage with their, hey look at me I'm a huge boxy claymore sticking 3 feet off the ground, when prox mines sometimes are invisible when they clip underneath the floor in some scenarios.
    • Up x 1
  19. ColdCheezePizza

or to win an alert.....
    • Up x 1
  20. Copasetic

But "it's a valid strategy" is not an argument for keeping ghost capping. It's only valid because the game allows it. Carpet bombing with Liberators was a valid strategy back when they were overpowered, but they had to get nerfed to improve the game as a whole. Camping spawn rooms was a valid strategy yet lots of effort has been put into making it harder to do.

This idea of drawing enemy forces away from other fights is something that should definitely be in the game, but not in the form of one guy hiding in the bushes. It should be something for small squads to do so that the people being pulled away from other fun fights actually have a bit of action to look forward to.
    • Up x 3