Assault Rifles for Heavy Assault? Why not?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MarthKoopa, Apr 4, 2013.

1. ThundaHawkPS

Battle rifle bad
    Ursa good

2. Olek

I think the main threat of a medic is the ability to resurrect all the players we kill.
  3. WalrusJones

Now, I would gladly take a second assault rifle wielding class: As long as it actually was another unique class meant for utilizing assault rifles.

Say a medium assault.
    What does the medium assault get? Maybe its a second weapon slot, and some (15%) resistance to personal weaponry to make them the dedicated anti-infantry class.

Regardless, as long as it isn't haphazardly throwing the Assault rifles to a second, current class.

Sometimes.

Sometimes its the fact that our guns can kill you at longer ranges, faster then most other weapon classes (Sans shotguns..... But many of our long range assault rifles can mount shotguns.)
  4. ChaosRender

As I said all vanu weapons are sniper rifles, but if you want single hit damage use the Eidolon.
  5. Paperlamp

Eh, HA shield gives you a much better chance of surviving longer IMO, and they can still use health restoring items when necessary at a resource cost. I typically survive longer as HA because it's the class you're most likely to survive when the enemy sees you first. Jumping aside and popping resist shield allows you to kill many players that get the jump on you.

Plus, as medic part of your job involves not having your main gun at the ready all the time. Graned, HAs can be caught with a launcher out and put in a bad position, but I find that doesn't happen as often as when I'm trying heal/revive people as medic and someone comes through a door not being watched. And again the resist shield is more often a life saver when HA isn't in an ideal situation than the self heal.
  6. SinerAthin

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well.

Being the prime, front-rank combat class, you'd think the Heavy Assault would have access to Assault Rifles at least, lol
  7. ThundaHawkPS

See thing is, if people shoot back you flinch. If you flinch with an Eidolon, you lose because your rate of fire and settle time is very poor.

People sometimes shoot back and move. If they move against and Eidolon, you miss because your bullets are very very slow.

That is why you use the Ursa. Ursa is stable, accurate, and has fast bullets.

If you want to 1-shot 200 hp birds that just sit around on branches and hills the Eidolon may be good for that purpose.

8. WalrusJones

It is a better life saver, a better clutch.

But it isn't really as good for a sustained engagement, if you know what I mean.
  9. Paperlamp

I know what you mean, if you don't get bursted down in CQC it will keep you alive through more mid-range combat. The HA shield is what prevents those quick deaths, the heal is what prevents you from being whittled down from engagements where enemies get through your shields a bit.
  10. ChaosRender

Flinch is not a problem at longer range as you rarely get hit. No the Eidolon is not as good close up, it is just the best sniper style riffle a Vanu HA can get. IF you just want something to shoot long range as a vanu use any of thier guns they are all perfect for long range.
  11. ThundaHawkPS

You'll get hit for sure if they're actually fighting you. If they have an AR, Carbine, or LMG you will get hit. If you're shooting at things that aren't shooting back the Eidolon's damage output is still inferior to the Ursa's.

12. Zaik

I used to think it was because the ARs were much better for hipfiring and the shield would have been overpowered, then they released SMGs.

they'd have to prevent HAs from using any of the 800/845 RPM ARs, but otherwise it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
  13. ChaosRender

I take it you hate the Eidolon? And no I have never lost a long range fight when my gun hit harder, mid to close range maybe but never long range. So for me I would take a battle riffle over a LMG any day for long range fights.

And if I used a Vanu LMG to snipe I would use a Flare, as it is the better over all gun, but again that is preference.
  14. De_Dominator

I remember that Ursa has the same accuracy stats as the Corvus, and much larger mag size, slightly higher rof.
  15. B0bzor

If I could be a combat medic with my Mercenary carbine... OMFG would I be a happy medic.
  16. ThundaHawkPS

Flare is inferior to Ursa for long range engagements as well. That's not even really a preference or opinion thing. It's statistical.

Ursa has +40 velocity, 13% less vert recoil, less random left/right deviation, and a better 1st shot multiplier for tighter bursts.
    The flare has slightly better hip COF and 25 more ROF, making it less helpless in CQC.

17. biterwylie

Heavy Assault is already basically the only solider class. Shotguns, SMGs, Rocket launchers, Lock on launchers, Guided launchers, LMGs, C4, Grenades, Energy shield....

Really do we want to kill all diversity as well as the use of vehicles?
  18. Vikarius

Sure..... the most overplayed class I have ever seen, can get Assault Rifles, but only as soon as:

1. Rocket launchers cannot be refilled at ammo packs, only terminals and sundies
    2. LMGs killing effectiveness reduced across the board so they are not a sniping Carbine with a huge mag
    3. Class shield only protects against Explosive weapons.
  19. Dagonlives

Honestly, i'd be happier if they made another class designed around being a squad leader that used an assault rifle. Have it's special be a squad specific boost of some sort. Engineers and Light assaults use the same types of gun. I'd like to use my TRV more.
  20. Fligsnurt

Tommyp has it right. The already junk BR would be heavily outclassed and the AR is the only real combat draw to the medic. Plus there are several LMGS across the factions that perform like ARs. The new NS lmg is like an AR with a larger mag, has a nasty one directional pull though and as far as the TR go, the T-32 Bull is amazing for long range engagements, a 3.4x/4x scope, comp, and foregrip allows for some very accurate sustained fire at 50m.

And if your looking for better accuracy then that, use the BR, not quite the killing potential of the SA sniper rifles but I guess if you want a sniper rifle, use a sniper rifle.