Dont mean to complain but....(shotguns)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Desann, Mar 27, 2013.

1. MurderBunneh

If you look up the stats of those people to the man they all have a Shotgun as their top infantry weapon.
  2. Mindcrime

Failing to see any point you are attempting to make. I used the Carv-S almost exclusively since a month after launch (when I started playing) until the nerf. Once I got auraxium with it I moved on to the Carv. Now im working on the T32 bull and TMG 50 medals.
  3. Rhyl

It's a lot harder than I think? No it isn't. I use it. A pump without slugs will beat me in 10 meters. A pump with slugs will still beat anything else within 10 meters. Slugs allow me to use my pump outside 10 meters. The scope allows me to extend that to medium to long range. I don't always win with the pump. I win 95% of the time. I guarantee you in 20 meters I will beat your lmg with a slug. Two headshots and it's over. Without scope sway this isn't hard. Not to mention I can take a shot at your head, hit cover, and fire another if you're still in the open. If you decide to duck down and take cover I can get even closer.

I have used the smg and the shotgun. It is 10 times easier with the shotgun. Shotgun is by far the easiest weapon to do well with. The pump action shotgun takes far less skill and talent than any other gun. All other guns are inferior to the shotgun. Everything else I have to "work" for my kills. It doesn't require work to use the shotgun. Ever since I bought it I felt I unlocked an instant win button. If I enter an engagement if they're not wielding a shotgun and don't get any support for their team. I've won.
    • Up x 1
  4. Mindcrime

"A pump with slugs will still beat anything else within 10 meters." Incorrect. And why should a LMG win over a pump sub 10 meters? The pump isn't an all around better gun in every situation like some make it out to be. It is easier to do well with because the circumstances that it excels at is close quarters combat which is where people use it. Outside of that the gun is not that great and an LMG/carbine/AR will do much better. I doubt, unless you're an above average player with a knack for getting head shots all the time, that you are going to beat me with a slug against my t32. At least it hasn't happened yet for me.

Your argument seems to revolve around the slug ammunition which extends the the pumps lethal range to medium but the draw back is it is more clunky to use, the velocity is lower, and the TTK is lower up close. I have used slugs and find them to be inferior for my play style. I still lose to better players no matter what the better player is using. In fact I remember a ranked level 100 NC killing me with a battle rifle while I was using the uppercut. Granted I wasn't expecting him to be using it and we both engaged at 30 meters or so.

The pump shot gun does exactly what it was meant to do. CQC superiority, it is however not superior in anyway to an LMG at medium range or long range. Slugs extends its lethal range to medium but at a price and not many people complain about slugs because of it.
  5. MurderBunneh

It is a cqb I WIN button END OF STORY. If you use one and can't see this then really your opinion is worth trash. If you use one and only are average with it you are trash.

There are lots of medium range guns. Guns from all classes and none of the them are an I WIN button.

The equal would be releasing a 3 shot kill lmg or carbine for medium range then you would have a risk involved with using a Pump.

But like I said 99% of the people defending it use shotguns as there primary weapon.
  6. Desann

I appreciate all of the responses, but let me say this. First off I have played planetside since 2006. Played Planetside 2 since beta. I am not the best player out there, but have about a 1.8ish K/D ratio. Its been going down lately for a few reasons. Mainly I have been leading my outfit and providing vehicles for my guys to gun from, like the sundy or galaxy. So I get plenty of xp, just less kills as of late. secondly, it seems these last few updates have really made it tough for me in infantry vs infantry combat. I like to think I am pretty good with vehicle combat, and if you are on Helios (genudine before) and have ever seen my guys rollin sundys, you know whats up. But when it comes to base captures, those shottys are mopping me up.

I'm a pretty smart guy and I do think "outside the box" as some of you put it. I mainly started this thread to see what others are doing against shottys. I get it, close range they do crazy damage. That makes sense to me, its the MID RANGE engagements that i have an issue with. Like inside a tech plant, there's a good distance between some of the cover in there, and it seems shottys are a bit too powerful at those distances. In my opinion, the pellets should keep the same range, but have more of a spread to them, like REAL shotguns do. Unless you have a choke on it, your pellets are going to be fairly wide past 20m.

ANYWAY...

So a few people say AIM FOR HEAD, well that's my point. When i encounter a shotgun, i fire a few shots, but by the time I do, I am already dead due to the extremely low TTK of the shotgun. Combine that shotgun with a heavy assault shield, and it doesn't matter how fast your aim is, your dead before your 3-4 shot leaves your barrel. I am only human, and do not us aimbot, so my first shot isnt always a headshot. In a perfect world every one of my bullets, or lasers since im VS :), would strike enemy faces...

I like how everyone says stay at range...well when you need to enter a room to cap a flag, you kind of limit that option. And an LMG should be just as devastating in close quarters as a shotgun. The only difference should be the aim required, ie shooting from the hip with a shotty should be much easier than with an LMG. I guess my main issue is that if 2 players begin shooting each other at point blank, one with a shotty, the other with an LMG, then they both should be killed or one almost killed. But it seems shotty wins almost EVERY time, at least that's my experience.

The only shotty that should be able to do this is the jackhammer and scat max. In PS1, those dang jackhammers were a serious pain indoors.

I will think of new ways to be cunning indoors, thanks for the input everyone. And no, I am not buying a shotgun, not my style ;-)
  7. Rhyl

The problem is that it leaves no room for error. That's just it. It is completely superior to the Autos. My problem is that people have already felt that the SMG and Semi Auto Shotties TTK is too low. The Pump Action brings it even shorter. I do have a knack at getting headshots considering my main class is infiltrator. I spend 90% of my time on infiltrator. So I've gotten pretty good at headshots.

Again you can't base things off a battle rank 100. All that means is that he was much more skilled than you. Again, I have used the pump shotgun myself. Many of my friends have switched to it. They recommend it to any of their friends getting the game. Why? It's that good. My performance has gone up the moment I decided to play light assault with a pump action. I've become instantly better after buying the gun.

If it's balanced and it's just a "play style." then it seems that the majority of the player base gets an upgrade in skill the moment they switch to pump action. I guess the gun is completely fine and balanced. Everyone just seems to be great with it and it fits everyone's style, right?

No matter what is said the truth remains. SMG and the automatic shotguns were already considered "borderline" by the community. The pump actions outperform both. The SMG is completely outclassed and yes. I've engaged many many SMG users with my pump action. They lose practically everytime except in rare situations. The pump is better. The automatics also fail usually. If I engage someone up to 20 meters with my pump. I know I have a 90% chance of winning that engagement. In fact, often times I can win when caught by surprise. Guy comes up to me, starts shooting me, I hop, spin around, and one shot him in the face. I'll admit the times this happens isn't too often but it's an option I have access to with the pump that would spell certain death with another weapon.

Sneaking up behind someone SHOULD be a guaranteed kill but it's only a guaranteed kill if the opponent is wielding a shotgun. Against an SMg head on. You can win with an lmg. If they aim entirely for the body and you aim for the head. You can still win that engagement even at CQC. If a shotgun user aims for the body and you the head. You still instantly lose vs the shotgun user. It has very little room for error. Try it in the vr room. A shotgun blast to someone's legs (without slugs) up close is still a kill. Even with bad aim it's not hard to nail that gib shot. Even if you aim too low.

Here's the issue. The community finds the pump action overpowered. No amount of you arguing will change our minds. TTK was low enough. It's gotten even lower with this weapon. There needs to be bigger drawbacks to missing that shot. It needs to be less user friendly.
  8. MurderBunneh

Go trial the Pump and you will be shocked at the power, fire rate and reload speed. The reload can be INTERRUPTED and STILL have a lower ttk then the guy who started shooting first.

If you get behind a max with a pump you can kill him before he turns around. I did it twice in my 30 min trial last night.
  9. Desann

10. XDDante

well that's ok,keep using it the more you use it the more people will complain and eventually the shotguns are gonna get nerfed...
    • Up x 1
  11. Donahew

or out maneuver
    • Up x 1
  12. Itermerel

pump action shotguns completely ruined the game for me, the game is no longer enjoyable. literally 90% of the players i encounter use it, for obvious reasons.

don't know when i'll log in again...
  13. Mindcrime

If you go back and read really carefully, no where did I say that pumps were fine and not overpowered. ;) It seems you have misunderstood my intentions.

I was offering advice on how to counter a pump shotty. I can agree that the pump shotgun needs to be tweaked along with the other shotguns for CQC. Unfortunately the majority of players who come to these forums to whine about the pump shotgun do not go and counter it using its weaknesses or even grab a cqc weapon for that matter. Instead they bash their head against a wall with their ADS carbine and stand still. Of course their going to lose, but they should. When you want your LMG or carbine to perform just as well as a shot gun in cqc then that LMG/carbine becomes game breakingly overpowered.

In my experience I have no issues with the pump or getting killed by one, but then again I play to win.
  14. Rhyl

Fair enough. Although, I disagree that ALL shotguns need to be tweaked. In my opinion the others were pretty well balanced. The Pump throws balance out of whack. However, I don't think it's so broken that I'll quit the game if nothing is done. I'm still successful even with it the way it is. Sure it's frustrating but unfortunately it's not the only frustrating thing in the game. It won't be the last either. Being an MMOFPS balance is going to be an ongoing issue. The pump will be tweaked no doubt but it's only a matter of time before something gets buffed or a new item enters the game breaking balance. Then another. These things come and go on games like this.
    • Up x 1