[Guide] Gameplay, Do you like it? PS1 vets.. Why are you angry?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Duke, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Stargazer86

I would be less irritated with this game if it wasn't called Planetside 2.

Really. If they had called it anything else, used different names and models, and then said "Here you go. A big MMO FPS for everyone to enjoy." I would've said. "Hey. This thing reminds me of Planetside. It's not as good, sure, but it's not half bad on its own."

And that's the thing. This is a pretty decent MMO FPS. It really is. But they drew my ire when they used the Planetside 2 license to build up the hype, to draw in older vets, to use us as free marketing by getting us to prance around while shouting "Holy crap they're actually making Planetside 2! My god, we've waiting so long for this game! Planetside 1 was so much fun, this is going to be awesome!" and then pulled such a major bait and switch on us.

Seriously. I'd enjoy this game much more if it was a different IP. Because it's certainly not Planetside.
  2. notyourbuddy

Grow the ---- up. Your "me me me I'm so smart I demand a one-on-one conversation with the lead developer" tone is pure garbage. You want to create a thread with real questions you would like to see answered then I'll +1 it, but this thread is pure internet drama. Stuff that little kids do.
    • Up x 3
  3. Durago

This feeling has come over me a few times playing MMOs and you need to let it go. PS2 does not equal PS1. EQ2 does not equal EQ. They're similar in name, but most (including myself initially) expect the same game with upgraded graphics. Not going to ever happen. It doesn't make financial sense and it doesn't bring in a large batch of new players.

I agree with notyourbuddy...you're coming across as an angry, immature dude. Who wants to try to reason with or have a conversation with someone like that?
  4. Dusty Lens

I decided to give the OP a good read over and highlight the portions of his original offering that contained an iota of content or substantial material in yellow. Nonconsecutive fluff or self important pandering was highlighted red and ignored. So, let's begin!

Ah ha. Better thumbs up at once.
  5. Melor

Lol good humor. He has countless followers…you have well…a few. He doesn’t care what you or I think…it’s his game, deal with it. You want fair and thought out…look to a single player game. Higby is about dollars and unless you have enough following to force a change you are going to lose.
  6. TeknoBug

This game is pretty good if you come from a Battlefield or Call of Duty perspective, not so great if you're a PS1 vet hoping PS2 would refresh the thrill that PS1 had.

PS1 was a unique shooter as a whole, it didn't try to copy anything from other shooters, it had its own zoom/scope mechanic, interaction with everything (hacking, repairing, deconstructing, resupplying, etc), inventory system and such.

Nonetheless I still play PS2 but my sessions are significantly shoter than they were 2 months ago, I only spend maybe 20 minutes logged in these days, just enough time to drop in a base shoot a few people, capture it and log off or if we get pushed out of the base I log off and my total play time since Nov 22 is still 6 days. In PS1 I sometimes spent an entire Satureday.
  7. Melor

Gotta love a forum that has a default of black text on reply. Hate to have a valid argument get in the way of of your "vision" SOE.
  8. Erik

-Game/capture mechanics offer no depth.
    -Capture mechanics and base design favor numbers alone, tactics and team play take a back seat.
    -Instead of realistic bases with realistic objectives we got arenas with flags in them ( large scale generic FPS game instead of a realistic war setting as in PS1).

The game dose not feel like Planetside to me at all. Bases are designed like your generic FPS map instead of actual bases. They opted to make fights for "bases" more like arena based matches than a realistic battle for a strategic asset. The burning flag system is soooo boring. If you played PS1 you know what depth the hack and hold system offered. Ive tried incredibly hard to enjoy the game, but is just boring. I have little desire to capture bases as the base fights are not meaningful or exciting. And numbers are ALL THAT MATTERS in PS2.

I was expecting a game conceptually similar to Planetside 1, but with modern day FPS mechanics. We got the FPS mechanics. But instead of also giving us what made Planetside a unique and absolutely amazing game, they made it a generic FPS shooter at heart, just persistent and on a larger scale. A conceivably realistic setting immersive in nature, necessity for coordination which has a payoff, exciting dynamics involved in capture mechanics.... all missing.

+1
  9. RaZz0R

yeah we do need more +1
  10. Badgered

We need ANTs, NTUs, resource harvesting by AI vehicles (per Smedley) and other things that will add a real supply line and logistical metagame to PS2.
  11. Duke

No one, yet everyone really gets this. If that makes sense.

We all want different things from Planetside but one thing we all agree on is that it's just not... It's just Not Planetside....

Add a cool layer of awesome graphics and 2000 people on the battlefield, that's fine and really it's awe inspiring for the first five minutes... Then you play...

I do digress, I don't wish to speak with Higby because one, he would NEVER do it on official forums, here it would mean something; Two, IF he did want to talk, he would be hindered by his superiors and be unable to do so.

I guess it's just a line that's been crossed... Like way over crossed... They catered to the 'mindless' gamer instead of the thinking gamer and sadly, they got it wrong.

I also understand that Higby's vision included a 'gradual' pace introducing logistics and meta-game, but at this pace... He's going to lose all respect from the people who want something meaningful by the time it's introduced; With that said, when it IS introduced, he is going to drive away all of the cert-farmers.... And I don't know if the PS1/intelligent gamers are going to give this game a second look.

In the wise, wise words of Rocky Balboa..... It is what it is.