SOE & PS2 unscheduled A LOT of cool features because...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BunnyHillPro, Mar 20, 2013.

1. BunnyHillPro

they had mild success and attention at MLG? That's what I'm guessing is the reason because of the timing of all of this. If mlg is going to take away from the core game aspects then **** it. This is absolutely stupid. Thoughts? Are you mad that they unscheduled "Cert resets" and "Continent locking"? They said Hossin won't be coming out till mid-late 2013 to improve the battle flow.
  2. Wasdie

No. Read their reasons. They are redoing the entire metagame and entire hex system. That's taking priority as it should.
    • Up x 5
  3. Loegi

Mildly upset about cert resets. Continent locking seems to have a good reason.
  4. Hosp

My guess, OP is unfamiliar with the Design-Build process.
    • Up x 3
  5. Clonecenter-resident

I think the new battle lanes will help more right now than continent locking would, so i'm ok with that. They need to get the fights for each continent working correctly before they start implementing intercontinental fighting.

I am disappointed by the lack of cert resets though. Everyone has wasted certs, some more than others. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement, but then again, account wide unlocks did not seem like it should be difficult either...
  6. Haterade

Further, he likely wants ALL THE THINGS NAOW and an incredibly complex game with zero bugs.

The problem with SOE being so transparent with their development roadmap and goals is that the community, by and large, has no idea what development takes. The problem isn't with SOE in this case; it's with the nublets.
    • Up x 4
  7. Dusty Lens

I think you basically summed up the opinions of 90% of us =/.
  8. Wasdie

Yeah. I expected over half of those things on the roadmap to be delayed, changed, or downright halted because of larger changes in the game.

The roadmap was just a "guideline" that was made several months ago. The environment changes all of the time and the devs have to adapt. This often means deviating from their original plans to accommodating the new changes.

People have been asking for a lattice like system since beta and they are finally getting around to recognizing the major problems with this hex system and address them. Without this change, all of the new content would really become meaningless.
    • Up x 1
  9. Hosp

Exactly it. An inherent attribute of Design-Build is that any delay in scheduling will most likely result in pushing everything back.

Also right. People want more Dev feedback and communication...then when they don't get what's, literally, on the drawing board, they cry. But if the devs give no communication, people cry about that too. Just no winning with some people.
    • Up x 1
  10. Krayus_Korianis

Meh, Cert Resets. So long as the first one is free on all chars on my account.
  11. Czuuk

You win the intertubez.
  12. Talizzar

They can design and re design battle flow all they want but it does not fix the game. Once you reach about BR 40 there is really nothing to do but continue what you did for the 1st 40 levels, farm certs.

There is no real prize or bonus for winning anything. A continent lock and paltry reward can be gone in an hour or two. We have had some good fights to win a continent but they are far and few between. Most are empty ghost caps.

Winning a continent is not really celebrated or even though of as that big of a deal.

There are no winners or losers here really.

The population has no balance. Allowing people to change sides while on the same server only makes this worse. The population need to stay within a couple of percent of each other at all times which they do not. What we have now is ooooooh the Vanu are crushing lets all go join them. So TR and NC pops drop while VS explodes. It only takes about a 5 percent advantage in pop to roll people. There is just too much overall fluctuation in the population throughout the day and night.
  13. Wasdie

This is exactly how Planetside 1 was as well. Hit BR40 and then there was no real point because you cannot win. There can't really be any way to "win" that would make any sense in this game. Just enjoy the small victories or go do something else.
    • Up x 1
  14. NickelToe

I am not one to post much but the Cert Resets being unscheduled pushed me to lose much interest.

My main is BR71 and have some lower level alts. Playing the main I am stuck in the few fields I heavily focused on, 2 of which are nerfed which is fine.

I would like to reset my certs to gain new interest in the game. Play Heavy more since I can buy abilities there without a month of grinding certs to spec into it.

Try out the Vanguard and see if it can be more than a point giving box on the ground for the enemy. Perhaps spec out the flash as a hill climber and see if I can make a flanking spec that does not require the invisi-flash.

All these options and more are open with a simple function like this. Without it, just grind grind grind till you can't grind no more.

Hope they prioritize this again and it makes sense for SOE as it will likely be the number 1 purchased item in the game. I do not care if they give a free one away.
  15. FnkyTwn

You fanboys need to quit apologizing for the roadmap goals not being met. They could have picked
    any format to promise them in, but they picked specific months and specific updates like they had
    an actual plan. It's one thing to change your plan, but after the 2nd update the entire roadmap got
    blown out of the water and they should probably devise a better system because I doubt the vast
    majority of the community is quite so forgiving of this utter incompetence.

Sure the OP isn't familiar with the Design-Build Process, but based on when this game came out
    and the absolutely terrible game breaking patches its had since then, apparently SOE isn't either.
    This game has had atrocious leadership, from both Higby and Smedley. I would hope Higby moves
    on to a "new project" at the end of the first 6 months (May 30th).

Honestly, what other game has had this many issues with each and every patch? I can't think of
    any that weren't made on a shoestring budget. Every GU has had 2-4 hotfixes. It's unprofessional.

That being said:
    -Changing content locks for a new hex system = acceptable
    -Pushing back Cert Resets = moneygrab (this is a pretty easy thing to implement)
    • Up x 1
  16. Zakuak

Where'd you guys read this?
  17. Ash87

...How is pushing back something that they will charge for, a moneygrab?
  18. Ash87

Check your roadmap, they made the changes at like 11pm CST last night.
  19. Paltry Porridge

Don't mean to be a doomsayer, but when they unschedule something as big as a continent it could mean something really bad.. or it couldn't. It's entirely speculation, until we get their balance sheets in our hands, we won't know for sure, or until they shut down the game.

I honestly think that they are hurting with the drops in the playerbase. GU4 was a HUGE disaster on par with GU2. I am so happy they remedied it, but people are impatient, especially with games like these with tons of competition.

It might also mean that they are in the process of laying people off, or are projecting layoffs, or merely slowing down development of the game, because there is no indication that it will yield a positive return (on marginal development).

Maybe they got wise and realized that it simply wasn't feasible to introduce a new continent with all of the optimization problems the game has.

MMOs are extremely risky. Even if an MMO has a solid playerbase doesn't mean it's enough to sustain it, especially if not enough people are making purchases.

Well, we'll see what happens.. but that's very unfortunate.
  20. FateJH

tl;dr, software project development issues.

At this point, I pity SOE because this forum makes it obvious that there's nothing they can do to please enough people.
    • Up x 1