How the game should have been balanced.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bolticus, Mar 14, 2013.

1. f0d

looks like infantryside to me
  2. LordMondando

I think its pretty bias towards your preferred playstyle.

Then again thats pretty par for the course.
  3. Granicus

what it means is ppl are looking for infantry only duh.
  4. Bolticus

On Mattherson, most of the ESF pilots I fight don't deconstruct or suicide. Sometimes they'll accidentally fly into a rock in their desperate evasive maneuvers, but I've met a lot of honest pilots. We have quite a few fun rotary dogfights.

Sometimes I accidentally press E during evasive maneuvers(at least every pilot has done this once), and I die most of the time. But I was once flying a reaver, and accidentally pressed E. Thanks to the Reaver's immense weight, it fell with me. So I was close enough to get back in, regain control, land, repair, and then destroy the Mosquito pilot that nearly killed me.
  5. Bolticus

How is it biased? I just tried to create a "food chain" for the vehicles of the game. Right now it's everything above infantry.

MBTs destroy lightnings and other MBTs.

Lightnings take down vehicles or infantry based on their loadout.

Libs take out ground forces.

ESFs take out Libs and other ESFs

And Infantry has a "soft" counter to each of these vehicles.
  6. LordMondando

Well as you say yourself, infantry is the only thing that counters everything. Making it per capita the strongest 'type' in game in virtue of its versitility.

Indeed, the upper end of the 'food chain' as you put it is largely superflous.
  7. Bolticus

"Soft" counter. Which means you're not able fend off ESFs solo like you can with the burster MAX. You can only do so if you field AA in large numbers. So a lot of skyguards, AA Heavies, or Phlanx turrets.

And I didn't exactly say anything was at the top of the food chain. Everything has it's counter.
  8. Kittel

In the current game, the MBT option you mentioned is actually good, however, this is not the problem, the problem is anti-vehicle weapons are not strong enough, yes tanks should be great shrugging off small arms weapons, but rockets and missiles (please use them correctly, rocket unguided and missile guided) should be deadly, tanks are great support weapons, but should be very vulnerable to purpose anti-armor weapons. Now i wouldn't go as far as saying 1 missile = kill, but 2 yes, 3 with extra armor, remove rear tank weak crap.

Additional terrain and cover/ concealment is needed, planetside 2 at the moment is literally barren land with very few things to hide behind, this is major problem. not the effectiveness of the weapons, per se.

Lock on is fine, the issue needs to be ways to break locks, ie smoke, but limited by number of smoke shots not time, ECM, ECCM type options, and as mentioned above, more f'n cover and concealment options, one of the main issues.

This is not to say that there shouldn't be TOW missiles, camera guided missiles, and laser guided munitions for variety. However, required lock in not generally good for games for various reasons.

If they add the new TR faction missile launcher that has to keep lock on it will be the worst of the bunch, the camera guided TR being the best.

Rocket pods by themselves are not the issue, the issue is the ability to reload while in flight, same for A2A missiles, and what is needed to add A2G lockon, camera guided, laser targeted missiles properly. This allows air to have many options but limited in shots, reloading is stupid, same for main guns, heat is the answer not reloading, reloading is not how you balance stuff, wtf designers. If you have 4-16 rockets or 1-4 a2g/a2a missiles your not as powerful as now with 32-64 rockets (whatever min/max rockets are atm)

A2A missile need to be 2 hit kills vs ESF, 3-4 vs libs, but flares need to be ammo dependent, not time dependent and there need to be more ECM/ECCM options.

Anyway, as for libs, the issue with them is not weapon effectiveness its their hit points, these need to be 2-3x an esf, not flying tanks, fix that fix the problem.

Lastly, the main issue with flying craft is the ability to hover and no real flight physics, the flight models are so arcade, no stall, and ability to maneuver like there is no gravity or inertia. Fix flight models, fix air to ground issues.

First off the stationary phalanx should be the strongest units in game, regardless of AA,AI, AV.
    Second the Skyguard needs to be the second most powerful
    The max 3rd and G2A missiles following up.

The skyguards 4 40mm should be more powerful and better accuracy, with faster trajectory then 2 20mm on a DB MAX, on a max's arms that flop around no less...As well as the armor of a tank, compared to the armor of max, the max has ability to go in buildings and hide, harder to see, but should not be more powerful and accurate then a freaking tank AA weapon system...Further, the skyguard magazine system needs to be changed to a heat system.

MAGAZINE systems for almost all vehicles is POOR balance option and BAD game design, heat system is the way to go for all MG type weapons air or ground.

Have a great day :)
    • Up x 1
  9. FateJH

You've just described to me the characteristics of an A2A ESF, with the exception of the Combat Medic revival part, and a properly certed passive system makes that trivial. There's no reason that it can't be an AA platform; the moh scale of counter hardness is a combination of the player's aiming ability, the judgment of the pilot, and the terrain, and the terrain may initially favor the scale of the MAX but ultimately always favor the maneuverability of the pilot and the speed of his vehicle.

Remember: "deterrence" means you don't get close and do stuff.
  10. Bolticus

Now that I think about it, a heat system for the majority of MG weapons in the game would be great.