HE Prowler useless now?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fluzing, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Xocolatl

Seems to be the case with most deployable vehicles and landing planes. They jiggle and some weird stuff. I kinda like watching my Sunderer dance around (and occasional splat me).

Didn't they only nerf the explosion radius by a bit, and nothing else? That shouldn't really affect your ability to hit infantries, even if it means they will now survive for another 5sec until you have reloaded. I don't know..I don't drive tanks around that much.
  2. Granveil

Prowler P2-120 HEAT & HE rounds have had their blast damage reduced from 1000 to 700.

So no, it was just the damage actually. The radius was unchanged.
    • Up x 1
  3. Kurreah

I don't suppose you can dig out that link? That statement seems to go directly against what the Devs were saying about the MBTs both before and after November. Their statements were closer to what Granveil was talking about.

You're immune to most infantry weapons, take repeated hits from ones that one-shot infantry, and can cover ground faster to flank. Your weapon will one-shot any infantry on a direct hit, and severely damage them on even a close miss.
    The increased XP is probably due to the increased difficulty in taking out an MBT or/and that you will likely take out several infantry while in the tank. 6 times the XP for something that will probably be able to kill 6 people doesn't seem unbalanced.

HE blast damage maxes out at 1000 for a near-miss. Even one rank of nanoweave will put a non-infiltrator above the 1000 point threshhold, meaning they will survive that damage.
  4. LordMondando

I'm intrigued myself now, could you send me a forumside mail so I don't forget, I won't be able to do it atm.
  5. Morpholine

I had the teetering effect last night in my AP Lightning, on (relatively) level ground. It was annoying.
    • Up x 1
  6. Soylent

Max splash damage is 1000. Shields + hp = 1000. So even rank 1 Nanoweave already makes it possible to survive.
  7. Gary

A lot of players have some intelligence and seeing a bunch of prowlers on a hill will not attack them head on... Instead they will try and come in from a neighbouring territory and flank the prowlers... believe it or not most prowlers get killled while anchored :) They simply stop paying attention to everything apart from what they are aiming at :p

No position is 100% safe, Magriders can once again climb hills no other tanks can, Vanguards can soak enough damage to keep you distracted whilst other forces move in and Prowlers can put out sheer damage posing high risk high reward. All tanks are good tanks and are capable of fighting other tanks and using the abilities to out smart them.

So yes prowlers do get flanked.... Prowlers are not some magical unflankable tank that makes the driver an idiot if you get flanked.. It happens to all tanks and it just so happens the prowler is more vulnerable to it since once they realize they are getting flanked they have a 3 second wait till they can move :)
  8. Tonkatron

You are a horrible Prowler driver, please get out, or go play another game. If you can't kill infantry with a tank, regardless of rounds.
  9. StormFrog

The same thing is happening with the Vanguard. They screwed up the suspension of tanks pretty hard with GU4.
  10. Alex Heartnet

By roaming around a large battle in a MBT I can locate and destroy targets of opportunity like Sunderers, other tanks, AA guns, or whatever else happens to be a convenient target for my AP rounds. In such a battle I don't need to target infantry at all because there are lots of other things that will happily do that for me.

More commonly, large battles end up turning into line engagements where one can't just simply roam around blowing stuff up. Fortunately, the Vanguard is excellent at fighting those types of battles.

In a smaller battle, I can zoom around the edge of the battle in a Lightning, locate enemy Sunderers, find a firing spot where I can shoot armor from behind (zerg armor columns tend to be dumb), and generally accomplish tasks that cannot be done in the thick of the fight. Sometimes I withdraw to attack from a different angle or even to attack someplace else; the Lightning has the mobility needed for this sort of hit-and-run attack. I might also find nothing but death and pain, because flanking is a dangerous role and the Lightning's a glass cannon.

Or I could just shoot constantly respawning infantry all day, but really, quite often that's just a waste of time.

I usually keep my distance because that is often the best way to stay alive long enough to get the kill. I don't want infantry shooting me from behind or Sunderers tearing apart my Lightning with duel Basilisk just because I drove too close. I suppose if I was driving a Prowler and not a Vanguard I'd probably want to get a lot closer, but the different tanks require different driving styles.

The XP adds up quickly when you get vehicle kill after kill after kill. Before GU4 being a dedicated vehicle destroyer was poor XP, yes. Now I can manage up to 10,000 XP per hour.

Also, infantry get irritated that they can't kill you and end up tossing 2/2 flashes at you that are worth 225 XP per kill :) or do other stupid things that don't work and feed you yet moar xp
  11. siiix

of course it should be more XP to take out the tank BUT not if you neft the tanks at the same time, because the effect is expectational, not only its a LOT harder to take out infantry now , but you just quadrupled the amount of people who just love to take a vehicle out AT ALL COST just to get the bonus, add to that all the super cool rocket launchers that come out for both HA and engy... overkill dont even scratch the surface how bad this is, its a disaster and probably a death sentence to the game

so in short i came to the conclusion that the developers in this game are n00bs , they intention is good, they have even coding skill, but sure as hell they have no idea how to fine tune code and features, they lack experience in making the most complex shooter in history
  12. Kurreah

Actually, it is more likely that they made both changes to encourage tanks to actually shoot at each other rather than farming each other's infantry.
    Infantry already had incentive to take out tanks and other vehicles. They just lack the tools on most classes. Chances are that most of the infantry shooting at tanks after the increased XP rewards will be the same ones who were shooting at them before.
    Its possible that the new Empire-specific launchers will increase interest in playing an anti-vehicle role though.

While I certainly wouldn't degrade myself by throwing insults at the dev team, I do think that there is a fair chance that they have overestimated the average player's intelligence.
  13. Phrygen

i'm noticing the difference. not having high ground makes it much harder to get infantry kills.

Time to find a new thing to farm with.... regardless of faction.
  14. Madmojo

You set yourself for flame. Are you new to forums? And as someone said, it was all explosions. The other tanks got it too. Prowler is no exception.
  15. siiix

IF they really do that , means they really have no clue ... so i doubt that that is the case ... why on earth would tanks only fight tanks, and air only fight air ... only someone who have no clue about all out war (vehicle+infantry) gameplay would suggest anything THAT stupid

this ain't world of tanks , nor is it a air combat simulator ... if they reduce vehicles to that primitive level this game will become just as primitive then world of tanks or an air combat simulator

i understand you infantry only peoples attitude , and it really makes me sad that just because you do not enjoy a FULL war simulation , you guys destroy the very very few games we who love those kinda games love and enjoy ... there is a gazillion infantry only shooters out there, many of them with far better grafix and way less bugs ... why not play that !!!!!?!!!!! why do you guys feel obligated to destroy the few games that are not meant to be infantry only to begin with
    • Up x 1
  16. Kurreah

So far, only one person has . . .

There is a considerable distance between making it worthwhile for a tank to take an occasional potshot at another tank rather than ignoring it in favour of farming more infantry, and allowing like to only attack like.

I think that you missed a quote out there. You might want to edit that in.
  17. siiix

again its a TANK in a war simulation, OF COURSE they supposed to farm infantry, thats what they are for, its a powerful weapon to push the infantry AND vehicles back, but actually tanks are for infantry and air is for infantry and land vehicles , air supposed to protect land, land suppoised to protect infantry and infantry transport, and infantry have the weapons to take on tanks and air (WITCH THEY DO NOW)

the ONLY vehicle that is supposed to fight each other as SECONDARY function is air, because they are on the top of the food chain

i'm actually fine with ALL the updates IF they roll back the damage neft and maybe even buff the vehicle vs infantry damage

extra xp bonus on vehicle kills ... cool
    extra rocket launchers and AA ... cool
    make vehicles not able to "farm" infantry with all of the above ... game braking

as simple as that
  18. Granveil

being able to pull as many tanks as you have infantry ... equally game breaking

Sure, roll back the damage nerf. But set the timer to a week, or a month, instead of 15 minutes. Then you'll have your damned "realism".

Planetside may be a war simulation, but it is a game. There is a point where the farming gets out of hand. It had crossed that line. Whether you think it is what tanks are "supposed" to do, it was ruining the gameplay. Damn your "realism" and "simulation", this is a game first and a simulation second.
  19. Kubor

I support the HEAT and HE splash damage fixes applied to the Prowler. It needed doing and was long overdue.

I just want them to quickly fix the annoying bugs that make landing two shells close together impossible for much of time. Having it so that you must splash damage with both shells to kill infantry is fine. That's how it should be. However, leaving the game in such a state as to make that impossible for much of the time is hugely frustrating and should never have been allowed to happen.
    • Up x 1
  20. Antich

Well, to be fair, that is exactly why you get 1400 dmg on your 2 shells compared to 1000 for other tanks