Skyguard Worst Cert In Game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RainQQ, Dec 3, 2012.

1. KastianJJ

don't mistake M's with CM's and you shouldn't land in front of a sky guard to die.... I fly the ******* flying brick that has misaligned guns vs the aim reticule, that cant turn to save it's life and i laugh at sky guards, heck i give them an air show before killing them, doing loopty loops and barrel rolls then kill them.

Problem 1
    Mobility is it's disadvantage
    + Harder to hit
    - Impossible to aim as no tank 800 in the year have anything to keep their turret stable
    - Impossible to get 90% accuracy needed to kill a tank
    - Slower then intended target it is suppose to counter

Problem 2
    Ground to Air Combat
    +Can hide behind tree's and use stealth to not appear on any radar till it's too late
    -Requires enemy to stand infront of you and want to take flak shells to the face
    -Extremely innacurate at medium- - to long range
    -Extremely slow bullet travel (planes with boost go faster then your flak)

Problem 3
    Ground to Ground Combat
    +Can harm infantry quite effectively
    -hard to aim at infantry as you cant look all the way down (to balance it but then why do HE rounds work almost as well as HEAT for taking out tanks?
    - Does little to nothing to enemy armour

3 Positives 8 Negatives (positives in no way out weight the negatives)

MAX Burster

Problem 1
    Mobility
    + Has a giant boost of speed every now and then to dodge rocket fire
    + Very small target with no exact weak spots (other then head shots)
    - Normal mobility is low

Problem 2
    Ground to Air Combat
    + Has high range, High Damage, and fast bullet travel
    - Fires Slowly

Problem 3
    Ground to Ground combat
    + Still quite effective against infantry
    + Extreme accuracy can make this good for suppressing fire out in the open
    + Cant be locked on to (makes Annihilator's kinda worthless against them)
    - Cant damage vehichles

Six Positives, Three Negatives... it is still effective killing infantry and great at taking out air craft with no limitations

Heck the whole
    "Impossible to aim as no tank 800 in the year have anything to keep their turret stable"
    ruins ground vehicle combat in general, any little bump like running over an enemy infiltrator playing chicken will cause your cannon to bounce around making you miss your shot, now move with 50 shots you need 100% accurcary on with this problem GG worthless
    • Up x 3
  2. furballhero

Skyguard needs gyro stabilized guns and secondary AA missiles with LONG range AA radar, like 800 Metres.

:)
    • Up x 1
  3. SmellyBoots

I disagree I like the skyguard the way it is. The accuracy could be improved but I think it does its job very well. You can move faster then a buster max, have top armor and the fire extinguisher.

You can push air away very effectively and I have killed a few tanks and sunnders with it. Granted that was in a armor column but your not suppose to be alone with them. You also not suppose to be able to take out 5 esf and 2 libs with a single sky guard.

When running our platoons we usually have two and that enough, but if they are going heavy on the air 3 or 4 will do the job nicely of pushing their air away.
    • Up x 1
  4. Tasogie

lol there is nothing wrong with skyguard, as for the Reaver not being able to turn?? ROFL in what universe. it can turn on its own axis with ease.
  5. LanceHavenbay

Sky-guard is a beast if you know how to use it. Quick tip: Get close to be effective, use Racer/Rival chassis to keep on the move. You can tear an ESF out of the air in one clip, not to mention you can kill infantry and tanks with it. I love it!

I'd personally vote they have a tiny bit longer range though. Even if they tear through me when I'm flying.
  6. wowie

I was not beginning to shoot at him as he was lining up. I was shooting at him as he was approaching from a distance, and the damage still was laughable, until he got to point blank, because of the massive spread making most of the rounds miss the target altogether. When you compare the Burster to this, the Burster is basically a laser pointer.... although, in this particular case, lead wasn't an issue, because he was just flying straight at me and not even trying to dodge, which just left spread. I'll say it again: I'm a good shot with the AP turret, not an amazing shot, but definitely a good shot. If I had been using the AP instead of the nothingguard, it would have been BAM... BAM... BAM... NOW GO AWAY because he was just flying straight towards me. You keep arguing for it. Me and many others will keep on arguing against it.
  7. Madmojo

I just cant see the projectiles clear enough to see where to lead. It all guess work.
  8. BlazingTiger

Wow, I'm amazed at how pathetic some pple are. Skyguard are worthless? Maybe the one using it is worthless that clearly does not know how lead his/her target. ENOUGH. I'm quite happy with my Skyguard. Same for the Walker. I love them.
    • Up x 1
  9. CaptainYamerica

I kill plenty in my skyguard the few times I have actually pulled it out. I have also done the same in a Burster Max. Both are situational... as intended.
  10. ShayeUK

M1 Heavy Cycler is the worse, 1000 certs for a pea shooter
    • Up x 1
  11. Blackinvictus

This...you can be very effective with it if you actually take the time to learn it, not easy at first. I seldom even have to think of where to lead it now in relation to distance. Dont fire at them way far off until you get the hang of it.

I think people are just *****ing about it because it takes some skill and patience to use it effectively.
    • Up x 1
  12. teks

An AA gun that requires skill? Baulderdash!
  13. Compass

You could be one of the most accurate players in the world with a sniper rifle, and if you shoot this gun, you are liable to be 20m off target because the cone of fire is larger than a shotgun blast.
  14. teks

Thats true, with the cone of fire its terrible for hitting targets long range but the skill accurary comment relates to time to target shooting skills. If you can lead your targets well the skyguard hurts but no it doesn't have a great effective range.

Its also rubbish agains tinfantry. I heard comments "oh the skyguard also tears up infantry" no... I feel better against infantry with my AP cannon.

What the skyguard can do is hurt vehicles. I can take other lightnings with a skyguard with about the same effectiveness of the HE rounds which isn't terrible, just make sure you flank
  15. akajefe

I think that the Skyguard is pretty darn decent. The only change I would like to see is to either increase it's base clip size, or to allow people to buy increased clip size with certs.
    • Up x 2
  16. Draf

Yup weapon magazine should be 2x larger (100 instead of 50) this would effectively reduce the ESFs attacking directly skyguards.
    • Up x 1
  17. StormStrafe

Ok, I wasn't gonna dig up this post but somebody else just did so I might as well post this new video while this thread is on the front page:

I'm personally neutral on this issue, mind you. And I'm not the guy who made the video.

All credit for the video goes to Matti.
  18. Draf

The video shows that it is effective against infantry at short range (for a tank it's short range). It can damage a bit other vehicles too but it will loose in an 1v1 against other tanks/sunderers/ESF. And since it is designed to deny aerial attacks the SG should at least be effective against 1v1 ESF. Any skilled ESF pilot can actually take down a SG by lolpodding his rear even if the SG driver is skilled. ESF pilot should be affraid of the SG, not making them their prior target, then continue their podfarming as soon as it's down.
  19. StormStrafe

I like your suggestion of increasing the magazine capacity to that of what many Heavy Assaults run around with already.
  20. Larington

Yeah, that skyguard in that video took out one liberator, which was already at about 35% health when he opened fire and wasn't on an escape vector or unloading bombs into the skyguard. Of course the libs going to die. Then he shoots at a lot of troops who don't seem to be pulling out hand held AV for some strange reason. Those people made it easy for him and often didn't even try to stay out of his aim.

It's comical really, that I've found the Skyguard is more effective at anti-infantry and anti-vehicle roles than anti-air (because air can run away, vehicles and troops can't escape so easily). Meanwhile, tank shells are more effective at downing air than the skyguard. That's my experience, and I used to get plenty of kills with the Planetside 1 Skyguard, I could consistently land hits on a fast moving flight ceiling Liberator in Planetside 1 because:
    A) The flak projectiles were visible enough to me that I could adjust based on how they passed my target
    B) The flak projectiles were travelling fast enough that fast turning aircraft would only momentarily break my aim.
    C) The cone of fire on the flak projectiles was slim enough that I was landing shots because of my aim, not pot luck like the shotgun skyguard does now.

In future I might ignore using the skyguard as anti-air and instead pull it for close quarters anti-infantry, since it can at least do that competently.