how do you gain certs as a sniper

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by W01fe, Dec 2, 2012.

1. IshanDeston

To add to it: Finding the Enemy sunderer is key. Then scout out 3 locations that are sepperated from each other. Watch the enemy spawn in. Kill one, cloak and move to the 2nd spot. Kill another. Cloak and move. Until your magazine is empty. Just don't make the mistake to stay at the same spot unless you know your spot can't be reached by the guys in that sunderer. (There are a few nice spots like that on Indar).

And take out the enemy infiltrators as soon as you see them spawn. After you killed a few guys one of them is bound to spawn as infiltrator to snipe you. But thats the point at which you take a minute or so. Move back, so they can't see you, get something to drink, read a newspaper article or do whatever for a minute or two. And then get back to sniping.

If you get that sweetspot you will reap kills and more often than not, you will be all alone, as long as you don't call out your targets. Never call out a sunderer in a sweet spot if you want to make some exp. Chances are either your teammates will destroy it, or more guys will set up shop next to you. At which point you are compromised and might as well change your class to something else. One of them is bound to attract the enemies attention and once there are enough of you, they will go out of their way to smoke you out.
    • Up x 1
  2. Cirno

I haven't had much luck with it myself, and I usually hang back because a bolt action rifle with a 12x scope isn't all that useful up close.
    But, I did hear that it did.
    Though scout RADAR doesn't, so maybe it doesn't.
  3. Boom929

I would LOVE some kind of XP gain from using the recon tool, but they'd have to make it something like "IF someone kills a target your recon tool pinged then you get X amount of XP". If you got XP for every kill I would be ecstatic, but it would seem to me that it would be an unfair way for the infiltrator to rack up XP (unless it was like 5xp per kill of a target your tool pinged, or something like that).
  4. Armbrust

forward grips are for recoil, not reticle bob. Automatics and Semi-autos, not single shot bolt rifles.
  5. BigMcLargeHuge

Not a fan of sniping but it gets the certs. Lot of people are going to say you have to learn to headshot. Really what's more important I'd say is understanding where the good sniper nests are. You can do just fine with the semi-auto rifles and a good position headshots or not.

The legs on the amp stations are insanely good positions. You need to duck/jump around a few of the cables but stay in the interior of the leg to get a nice position and fire away should do well over 10k no boost.
    The tec plants also have great sniping positions on the upper floors.
    Biodome can sometimes be good if you're guarding the choke points to the jump platforms. And there are a lot of different bases that really encourage sniping.
    Doing long shots from the crown to TI alloys is always a fun one.

Just like sniping in real life ideally you want to be in a shadowed nook and you want to be as far back from the 'window' (literal in some cases, but not often in planetside as most of the building windows are not ideal) as you can be. You're 'window' doesn't need to be big to be effective it just needs to be looking out at position your targets will be trying to use for cover or have to move through.
  6. Benevon

Oh I hate it when I find a nice place to hide and another inf sets up shop next to me spam firing with a semi auto at a turret or something. Position compromised, time to move on.
  7. m3lior

Wolfe, do yourself a favor and trial both of the scout rifles as well as the "close range" sniper rifles before you purchase, ESPECIALLY if you are buying with certs. The scout rifles are underwhelming to many, and buying the wrong gun would be horribly frustrating.
  8. KnifeSupport

Friendly cluster firing at each other enemy cluster
    You headshotting
    The enemies get pushed back, you move on
  9. Noppa

TBH when i want to gain fast certs i go play my sniper, it rly dosnt take long to get 100 kills=100cert + some xp certs from other stuff :)
  10. Gigasflare

HERE THIS ! Sniper is not the way to farm your certs :cool: But you can farm for like 50 - 80 certs per hour if you know where to camp. Now im very generous right now and wanted to tell you where to farm as a sniper hehe. one of the places is on High tower of each base such as The Crown & Zurvan Amp Station. Suppressor really helps a lot cuz it helps you undetected until you're out of ammo, but it will decrease your range so just play around with the Bullet drop until you get use to it. 1 shot 1 kill c ya may peace be upon you :)
  11. Tnsr

There is no way you can make as many Certs as a sniper as any other class. Deal with it, SOE gives a damn.
    Not as if BF3 hasn't shown how to reward long range sniping correctly.
  12. WantedOne

No...that line was misinformation. Sadly, it doesn't...but all the things like that(radar on vehicles, recon device) really should give xp(like bf3).
  13. zijin_cheng

If you play infiltrator the "correct" way (as defined by most people here), you won't get many certs, as helping your team cap bases, hacking turrets/terminals doesn't net you enough exp at all.
    All infiltrators go sniping for fun as well, its pretty useless towards enemy zerg if you snipe someone who just spawned from a sunderer 5 meters away, but it gives you certs.

Only experience can tell you where the good spots for sniping are, and how to adequately defend yourself from bad guys looking for your sniping nests or countersniping.
  14. Anvildude

I think you do get spot XP if someone kills someone/thing you've spotted before the 'spot' runs out. I know I've got "Spot bonus" xp before.
  15. Doomrabbit

Also pick up some decent camo. You'd be amazed how easily you can hide in plain sight with the right camo - up against a rock, or in the shadows of a tree, or crouching in a bush. If you're willing to run long distances you can have tons of fun as a sniper - you just have to cloak yourself efficiently and get behind them or on their flank. I've also had fun dropping way behind lines where the other two factions are fighting, so everything that moves is basically a target.

Another good tactic is to cloak near an enemy base that they've just captured, and position yourself between that base and the next spot they're zerging, up against a rock or something like that. Wait until they start flooding past you and pick them off from behind.

You need to be patient as a sniper - a lot of times taking the wrong shot, even if it results in a kill, exposes your position. Try to take shots where the killshot could've come from multiple directions, so the target doesn't know where you're nested.
  16. Tyzh

All bolt-action sniper rifles are the same gun across each faction re-skinned. The V10 has bullet drop.
  17. Daimond

Lots of good tips already so wont point thoughs out really again. But a few things I didnt see mentioned, but Did not read every one as well.
    1- One Mistake alot make and is easy todo playing a sniper is, make sure you are in the Cap zone when it goes through, so many times us Snipers are out side of that range easy, or focused on our shoots we some times forget, Cap xp range and miss out :)

2- Now this is if you are ok with spending money
    a- Get Premeum membership, thats 50% boost to xp/resorce gain and 19 free passive cert gain while logged off in a max of 24h period ( have to login and out to reset the 24h clock )
    b- get the 7 day boosts of 50% xp they best price.
    Now all xp earned in game will be +100% eg... your 100xp kill with the 100% bonus is now 200xp, thats almost 1 cert now.

Not much more I can add, just need to get better at shooting, headshoots fastest and better way to conserve bullets for next guy :) so you can stay out in field longer.
  18. Nature

Follow these simple instructions.
    • Up x 1
  19. Kaisuke7

There's a few ways to get quick certs by sniping, one would be finding that sweet spot, but this can sometime be tough because when you think your doing something clever like flanking, you got 10 others doing the same thing. SO I recommend you max out the recon detect device, this has not only saved me but got me to that sweet spot. I like to call it finding the source, its most likely a sundy but sometimes its over 300 meters from the battle, so once you know where there coming from you start to home in on where they're gathering. Once you see a bunch you'll be well on your way to using all your ammo, but first (plan) 2 or more spots you can get to encase the fools start to notice they're losing men lol. most of the time is use over have my ammo. If you can get close enough go witha suppressor to father frustrate them. Sometimes I know where the sundy is and I just grab the suppressor and farm head right at the sundy just wait for them to spond and change stuff, but of course soe made this less rewarding in the recent patch, if u want full xp wait 10sec after each spond. I collect about 20 or so certs from a good run averge of 5 a run.
  20. ArcMinuteLight

Buy a bolt action. Run up into a open base, get a double headshot on a max and medic. Get 800 exp. lay two claymores on the terminals, get 300 exp. run up and shoot-knife combo people until you die or find a terminal to resupply your claymores.
    250 certs in a 3 hour session.