[Suggestion] Broken Crap: Shotguns

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sir Nanigans, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Sir Nanigans

I suggest that they do something about the heavily overpowered shotguns.

"What is a shotgun," one might ask. Is it a carbine that can effectively hit and kill targets at 50m with predictable bullet-drop and substantial damage? No. Is it an anti-shield explosive device that renders armored and shielded opponent to tiny bits in just a couple shots? No....

A shotgun is a door busting, indoor combat weapon designed to allow ease of landing a hit on an opponent in close-range, fast-moving combat. At very close range it is noticeably more effective at neutralizing a target than a handgun or rifle (when you get a square hit), but the primary advantage is ease of use in the situation, not stopping power. Here's some education for the Devs and anybody who enjoys education (don't worry, it's a short paragraph): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_shotgun#Effectiveness

In Planetside 2, shotguns possess more shield sundering, armor melting punch than just about any other weapon. I would even go so far as to say they don't have all of the necessary parameters to work like a real shotgun (I bet they don't calculate damage dependency on the number of pellets to strike the target). They have killed me in 3 hits at their ineffective range (20+ meters). What does ineffective mean? It means it sucks, and won't work, not "it works better than your sniper rifle".

I suggest a serious and complete overhaul of the shotgun class of weapon. I should be waving my *** at enemies 60+m away, because their shotguns shouldn't be able to phase me. I should suffer minimal damage for being on the edge of their shot's spread, unless it's reasonable to say that every single pellet landed on me anyway. I mean about as much damage as a small caliber handgun, not more than an LMG to the face.

Shotguns are specialty weapons... used for specific purposes, and ineffective elsewhere. They should hardly be worth any certs unless you plan to bust through doorways and sprint down halls 90% of the time, because that should be all they are good for. This has been, I can only imagine, the 102938475th post about shotguns being over powered (at least I hope there's that many), and I apologize to any shotgun enthusiasts or other players who are tired of reading about this.
  2. Phyr

A shotgun with slugs is just a better battle rifle, without slugs they're hardly effective past 15m. What's the problem?
    • Up x 1
  3. Sir Nanigans

In my experience, I have been taken out by buckshot outside of 20m in few hits, and my LMG deals less damage per hit than a shotgun at close range, which, although the shotgun is a close-range weapon, is ridiculous. Shotgun is close-range because it hits easier, not deals more damage. My LMG round should deal equal or more damage than a shotgun round at 1, 5, 10, and 15 meters alike, but simply be more difficult to use.

Slug as a better battle rifle? Why don't all battle rifles just use slugs then? I bet it's because battle rifles should be the best battle rifles, not shotguns.
  4. R-A-B

As a battle rifle user. I heartily disagree. No problem with your thinking, just the conclusion.
  5. jak

This makes my head hurt. If you're losing to a shotty at 20m and you have an LMG...
    • Up x 1
  6. Atlien77

look at this video:

this was the beta shotgun... since then it has been heavily nerfed.
    so just be glad you aren't up against that monster of a gun anymore.

Shotguns are so situational already. nerfing them any futher and all you will see are these wannabe sniper LAs sitting in trees with slug ammo.
    • Up x 1
  7. Phyr

The battle rifles right now are sub par. Low damage and low ROF. It appears they nerfed slugs though.
  8. QuantumMechanic

I thought that shotguns were for shooting ducks, not doors.
  9. Sir Nanigans

Can't explain it... takes longer to chew through with my rounds than their 3 hits. Their weapon has a slower rate of fire, as it should, but the devs compensate by increasing the damage per shot. This is not something they should compensate for, though, my gun should do equal or better damage with a single round as their shotgun does... and their shotgun should fire much slower, too. Why use a shotgun, then? Because you just ran into a room and are spinning circles around me, and I might hit you a few times before you hit me with every single shot you need.
  10. JackD

There is no reason why your LMG should be more effective at close range than a shotgun other than you wanting it.

Also 20m in this ame is like 10-5m
  11. Phyr

Nobody is getting 3 hit by pellets at 20m.
    • Up x 1
  12. Sir Nanigans

I don't know about "so" situational. A soldier with a shotgun engaging an opponent outside of tight quarters should be destined to fail, in complete and utter uselessness. That's why shotguns are not just a little situational in real military engagements, they are highly situational. If you aren't going to be in the same room as the other guy, bring your rifle.
  13. Talizzar

Heck they just buffed them too. I guess the devs don't agree.
  14. jak

Yeah, what I'm telling you is you're not even coming close to 3 shotting someone at 20m.
  15. Disciple002

Your reasoning goes against all practical use. One shotgun shell carries a greater damage potential than a single rifle cartridge at close ranges, period.
  16. Atlien77

have you actually played with a shotgun? :)
  17. Sir Nanigans

I might nit-pick at the fact that in this science fiction world, shields have a different response than blah blah blah blah blah... but I dont' find myself to be so argumentative. However, I will make this point: a shotgun only carries so much weight in a cartridge. It only has so much kinetic energy, and against a target with body armor, focused kinetic energy is greatly more effective than spread. Even without armor, the wound created by a round from an LMG might as well be a shotgun blast. Get yourself shot by a high caliber rifle one day, then a shotgun the next, and tell me which one killed you faster.

Better yet, wear a bullet proof vest when you do that.
  18. LightningWolfTigrBer

If you're getting 3-shot by a shotgun at 20m then odds are the user either had a laser sight and therefore had lower spread on the pellets or all the pellets that struck hit you in the head. Either way, it's hardly an issue and not something that happens every day. I know this because I frequently use my Nova on my LA, HA and Engineer and the situation you're describing has never happened for me. Not saying it can't happen, but it sure doesn't happen often enough to warrant nerfs.
    This is the first one I've seen, actually. Most people seem to think shotguns(outside the hands of Maxes) are just fine.
  19. sauna

Shotguns are way too powerful atm. A slight nerf with it taking at least 3 shots to kill someone isn't a crazy change...

Then the Pump Action Shotguns will arrive, will they be 1-shot weapons?

Improve the skillfactors of the game, devs, not the "hey I'm new, I just instakilled 5 people without aiming"-factors...you already have that with the outfits who never leaving their tanks and camp outposts all day.
  20. Phyr

Show me a video of someone killing people without aiming.