[Suggestion] New cloak type

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Sumguy720, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Sumguy720

Hey guys! I had a great idea just now:

Want:
    + A cloak that will last longer so we can do more infiltrating and slinking about and generally causing mischief in enemy territory.
    + A quieter cloak so enemies won't hear us so easily when we engage and disengage our device.
    + A more transparent cloak that is more difficult to see when moving and standing still
    Do not want:
    + Snipers being invisible for long periods of time and/or generally being harder to find than they are now.
    + SMG infiltrators running around in CQB without being able to be seen and generally owning everyone easily.
    + Anything else that causes people to not have a chance to fight back against and/or prepare for an infiltrator who means them harm.

So basically, some of us want more espionage and strategic movement without breaking the game and making infiltrators un-fun to fight.

What I propose is a new kind of cloak! It's simple really, it has a few
    advantages:
    + It would be a better cloak when moving and when standing still
    + It would be a quieter cloak overall
    + It would have a long duration (maybe up to like five minutes or something, I'll let the game developers figure it out.)

disadvantages:
    + It would take longer to engage and disengage. I'm talking like, maybe five to ten seconds. (again, details, not super important, so don't stress about exact numbers here (it's the idea that matters)!)
    + It would not regenerate. You would need to resupply at a terminal in order to renew your cloak.

This would be great for all those people who want to go and like, surge deep into enemy territory, sneak into an enemy base and sabotage some key components, gather intelligence about enemy movements for their squad, or position themselves behind an unsuspecting platoon and slowly (but dramatically) de-cloak and start causing some general confusion involving bullets and dead people and stuff. Especially since we can hack terminals and resupply ourselves behind enemy lines. Hacking would be more important too!

This would NOT be great for:
    + people who want to dominate CQB by cloaking, running up to a guy, uncloaking, shooting, rinse repeat. because the longer time to cloak and uncloak would make them easy targets before their weapons are live.
    + or people who want to snipe for ages while invisible because the cloak doesn't regenerate on its own. Also the time to cloak at least gives the enemy a few key seconds to react BEFORE and AFTER the sniper is shooting.

I would personally have a lot of fun with something like this. I like to take a non-combat intensive role that requires some more strategizing and thinking but has somewhat more goal-oriented higher-risk-higher-reward mechanics.

All I need is a name for it, if anyone wants to suggest something.

Thanks for reading. What do you think?
  2. DumarDomar

No. A cloak that cannot regen makes the class useless over time of period.
    Good infiltrators usually take a long time stalking pray until they find "the spot" to shoot them all out. Slashing the regen would make trial and error impossible and would ruin prospective infiltrators from playing as it.
    No, thank you for trying but not a solution.
  3. Awass

How about something like the cloak n' dagger from TF2? The cloak would stop running out or run out very slowly when you stand still, but it would run out more quickly when moving. NOTE: Unlike TF2, it would not regen while standing still. That would be op. Anyway, this would make it easier to sneak around. Maybe an increased cloak/decloak time would help to balance it.
  4. Khlorghaal

I remember during the first E3 stuff someone mentioned something about different grades of cloaks where some aren't as cloaky but last longer.
  5. illgot

I would just love something that doesn't allow me to cloak but also doesn't allow people to spot mark me.
  6. Sumguy720

Hello! It seems as though you don't realize that infiltrators can hack enemy terminals to resupply their cloak. It also seems as though you don't quite get how this cloak is meant to be used. This is not meant for snipers or 'stalking prey', it's for reconnaissance, sabotage, and the occasional behind-enemy-lines kill. The purpose of having a finite pool is to prevent sniper/camping exploitation.

I was suggesting this as an additional cloak type for those of us who want a more strategic role. I'm not hoping to replace the hunter cloak.

Yeah, that's like the stalker cloak idea. People have tossed that idea around a lot and I think the general consensus is that it would be too powerful for snipers and campers. I think having the cloak deteriorate or deactivate when you move is a neat idea but not enough of a disadvantage to make it a balanced cloak type.

With my suggestion it really fills a very specific role, that is, getting from A to B undetected, and then completing some kind of specific objective at point B. With a cloak that can only recharge at a resupply point people with this cloak would be less likely to camp and more likely to go and do helpful things.
    • Up x 1
  7. zijin_cheng

Here's a suggestion, what about that above cloak that you stated that is only active when carrying a sniper rifle, but will revert back to the normal cloak when holding an SMG, because that above cloak with an SMG would be OP?
  8. TheCF

And what if you're carrying a CQC Sniper then?
    I've myself thought about cloaks than can only be used for one kind of weapon, but I've abandoned the idea. People will get too unhappy not getting the cloak the other Infils have without any real in-game explanation. And then there's the weapons who fall in between the Snipers and the Smg such as scout rifles and short-range snipers. What cloak are they gonna get?
    No, best is to make a common pool of cloaks. We just need a bit of creativity to get those balanced and right... or well, SOE does.
  9. Oakwalker

I don't think you read any of his post

--

How about a "cloak" which is just camo that every few seconds it refreshes to a new camo that would make you almost invisable with your current surroundings, no cooldown, can shoot from it, permanent duration, and people can't spot you. In essence I think this is what you're looking for. As reference if you can look up the old starsiege chameleon or cuttlefish cloak.
  10. zijin_cheng

Yea I never thought about people in game not knowing what's going on, I think that 5 second decloak/cloak would be deterrent enough to any infiltrator who wants to go CQC.
  11. Jex =TE=

You don't need that cloak for going deep behind enemy lines - all those bases are empty so feel free to bring your trumpet as well!

But I agree, we need a better cloak and some tools to do some sabotaging with (IF they had doors, we could possibly pick the locks)

A 12 second, easily visible "cloak" isn't enough to get you anywhere
  12. Ztiller

It really is. I don't know how many times i have to say this.
  13. Colt556

What we need is the stalker cloak shown in beta. It was a potentially permanent cloak that, at max level, recharged whenever stationary. The limitation was that you could not carry a primary weapon, so pistols only. They need to add that in.
    • Up x 1
  14. Jex =TE=

It really isn't. I don't know how many times I have to say this.
  15. Ztiller

Then the fault lies in you, not the cloak. You are simply bad at using it. It's not the cloaks fault, just like it is not the guns fault if you cannot aim with it.

If you are unable to utilize equipment effectively, that others manage perfectly well with, then you need to change YOUR playstyle, not the equipment.
  16. Vaphell

are you affected by the Stockholm syndrome or something?
  17. Dr. Euthanasia

Actually, he's outright deluded. If you watch his videos, the cloak fails him constantly and he has to get away by the skin of his teeth - running to cover and out of lines of sight until he's so far behind enemy lines that nobody there actually expects to be in any danger. He's really good at the latter, but the only thing Hunter Stealth is doing for him is making him immune to spotting. Why he refuses to admit this is beyond me.
  18. Jex =TE=

No I am great at using it thanks but don't tell me you can walk into the middle of a base, then up the stairs without being seen because you can't. 12 seconds isn't enough.

Your inability to grasp why the cloak is utter **** is your problem, everyone else agrees it is **** and needs fixing because everyone isn't deluded like you are claiming you can use it fine (what to hide in hills?)

Are they talking about you here? If so, then obviously you're wrong and can't even see it.
  19. Ztiller

Thats the thing. You can. I do it all the time. You are simply not good at using what you have.

Your inability to actually use it is your problem. You are bad at playign the infiltrator, plain and simple. Not everyone agrees that it's ****. A majority does, but that is because apparently a majority have a very hard time adapting to how the cloak works, and try to use it as some sort of Invisibility suit.

There are plenty of other infiltrators out there that can use the cloak just as effectively as i do. You are obviously not one of them.
  20. Jex =TE=

So that was your video where it was pointed out how **** you are using the cloak.