[Observation]GPU Usage Drops When FPS Does

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Baldrick, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Baldrick

When at the warp gate, usage is at roughly 95% with FPS around 30. As soon as I leave the gate it drops to about 20 FPS and usage is in the 60% range. When the FPS drops to 5 my usage also drops to the mid teens until I get closer the building I'm heading to then it's back into the 20's. What's also surprising is that CPU usage, video/system memory usage all stay the same.
  2. Kastrenzo

I know what you mean. was monitoring it on PrecisionX and Afterburner, my GPU Usage/Load normally runs at 90-99 during gameplay *this is perfectley normal, even though it sounds like it's stressed the game runs at like 90fps*

I started looking at it after the patch, and the graph was going up and down like crazy. as well as my in game FPS

wait until the "hotfix", see if that changes anything
  3. queue

to me, the stuttering felt like a client/server bug and not a gpu limitation.

My audio was stuttering with the graphical lag when on my flash. It sounded like my flash was autotuned when in the past my graphical lags weren't accompanied by audio issues.
  4. Kastrenzo

It's not a GPU limitation, part of the problem is that the game is telling people's graphics cards that it's OK to go into relax mode, when it's not. Hence part of the reason why people's FPS dies
  5. Baldrick

Hotfix was no help, and it would seem that the hotfix for the hotfix was to address the issue with projectiles. I hope they can get it taken care of soon so I can get back to playing poorly on my own.
  6. Simplyput

Well, I am not sure what I would call the affect that this patch had on performance for me. Been playing on my laptop lately since the PS on the desktop went out (just been to lazy to fix it). So have had no misconceptions as of what to expect when running a 540m.
    Prior to the patch and after tweaks, I had it running at a steady 25-35fps.

My first observation post patch is that the low settings aren't quite the low settings that they were pre patch. There seems to be a much higher over all quality when everything is set to low settings even via the useroptions. Everything from textures to particle effects seem to have been tuned up. The second is that there seems to be a much larger gap from high to low end FPS, post patch I can spike into the 50's and then plunge into the single digits. The really odd thing about this is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind it. I have run steadily in the 40's in major fights and been out in the middle of no where and not be able to get above 10. Then on other occasions I will be fine running at 35-43 in larger size battles for about 30min to an hour then suddenly start jumping very quickly from 15-50 getting the stuttering effect. The last thing that kind of caught my eye was that when I load (when selecting char, drop pod or even just from deploying after death) there seems to be a longer load time and every once in awhile will actually get a grey or black out except for the hud for a few seconds.

I love the idea of even getting into the 40-45fps range in large fights but would much rather run at the consistent speeds I had pre patch than what is happening at the moment.
  7. Kastrenzo

I screencapped this after playing for about 20 minutes, near the Vanu Warpgate on Indar. Thought it was interesting to note. Pre-patch, it would always hover around 95-99, which was perfectly fine

[IMG]

red area is my GPU usage during the random crappy FPS periods, blue area is normal periods when I was getting 50-70

the random drop was just when I minimized the game for about 20 seconds
  8. IronZuuL

Yeah was hoping that the new hotfix would fix the FPS problem and people warping around, but no, still drops to 0 fps randomly.
    At least the tanks are fixed, I can now shoot stuff while enjoying a 0 fps slide show. ;) lol

... maybe one day they'll try to hotfix the fps.. maybe..
  9. PresidentFreeman

I noticed pre-patch that the game would use 0% of the GPU when it would go into a lag fit and sit at 0 fps for about 10 seconds. It is possible that the same thing is happening more frequently and causing the stuttering every other second.

Edit: just saw the MSI screenshot above, was going to do the same but it is exactly what I was talking about.