Open Letter to the QC team

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Fenrix, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Fenrix

Hello SOE Planetside 2 QC team.

I am personally disgusted with your level of incompetence. I can also guarantee a huge amount of the customer base for planetside 2 is equally disgusted with your performance.
    Please do your job and give us patches that do not add more bugs to the game. do not break important things like GUNS, TURRETS and other core mechanics.

As a QC team it is your JOB to check all the core functions of the game before release. why you have been failing to do this when it is what you are paid to do is beyond me.

Please do your job.

think of the children.
    • Up x 4
  2. itschristalking

Can you please try to be a bit more respectful and proper? There are way better ways of formulating this letter.
    • Up x 1
  3. IWarriors

Don't be stupid, they don't have a QC team.
    • Up x 2
  4. Hpool aka BigNutz

Not sure whether your being serious or trolling.. But unless they have 1000's of QC team how are they supposed to replicate bugs on an MMO Scale? IS this your first MMO? As you cannot name one MMO that does not have bugs after a patch even GW2.
  5. Fenrix

I treat them with the same respect they showed us by releasing a patch so utterly broken.

I know it is a large game but testing that weapons work correctly should be a high priority. how you could miss that is beyond me.
    • Up x 2
  6. The Jiggler

Wow. Really?! Lol... Way to take it far too seriously man. What you can't just **** off and watch tele or play another game while they deploy the patch and INEVITABLE hotfixes?

You realise that testing the patch on anythng other than a live server is going to produce different results. It's like designng a road system and then driving down it with 4-5 cars compared to opening it for general public use. Your lack of understanding on how MMO industry works is astounding. Get off your high horse and realise that you just insulted someone who very likely DID their job better than you ever could.

Like do you even realise that the biggest issues in this patch were server stability. Probably got something to do with how many people logged in to check out the canges. Even WoW servers go down when this kind of **** happens - AND THEY HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR A DECADE.

I'm shocked by your ignorance and total lack of manners / common sence. In short; Go **** yourself.
    • Up x 6
  7. Aerensiniac

I admit i actually loled on that.
    • Up x 4
  8. RobotNinja

Anyone who has played 30 minutes of PS2 tonight can rattle off a long list of bugs for you. I'm pretty disgruntled with this patch too but I think OP is taking it too seriously right now.
  9. Aerensiniac

Its called a test server bro.
    You know. The type of thing that generates player feedback and filters out a good 80% of problems that could come up at a release.
    Mainly because you have the current version of the game running on it, and can see for yourself (even beyond player feedback) what stability issues will arise in the game mechanics after patching.
    90% of the issues in the current patch are server and not client side, so your point is sort of invalid. A single QC team could filter out most of the bugs.
  10. Mattsville1

Well said Jiggler, I could not have said it better.
  11. Fenrix

Eve online has a good test server. it requires a second copy of the game to run and constantly changes but its a live environment. you could certainly run one unconnected to the rest of the servers. its what I would do if i was consistently having major bugs with every update and patch.
  12. Aerensiniac

Too serious... well. I can speak only for myself, but i cant even be bothered to be mad by now. Not even disappointed.
    Being mad is a good thing for soe, since it shows that ppl still care about the game.

At this point i have simply taken it a given that SOE will kill the game on the long run with their incompetence.
    Each patch of theirs creates multiple times more severe issues than the stuff they intended to fix. There is no form of testing done, and large patches usually mean that the game will be unplayable for 1-7 days.
    The vehicle desynchronization/freeze/cannot enter is still around from patch 01. It was never fixed.
    What is there more to say?
  13. Aerensiniac

Careful with the suggestion mate. The players WILL **** off on the long run. Do you know what that is called? The death of the game.
    A few more patches like this one, where the fixes they implement cause 3 times as many and as severe bugs, and the game is done in. The forum is already full with people that say that they have had it, so be careful what you wish for.

Being mad at least shows that he still cares.
    I cant even be bothered to be mad at SOE at this point, and your white knighting doesnt really help the issue either.
    Fact is: A test server would resolve a good 80% of these bugs pre-patch. It is not an option like soe handles it, but a necessity.
  14. IWarriors

You don't need 1000s of players to find the 100's of bugs.

I found out that my ESF was shooting blanks in the first 5 minutes.

I found out that my Prowler was shooting blanks again 15 minutes after that.

Now, I could had found out this sooner if I was testing them right away for example if I was a part of a bug testing team.
  15. Fenrix

A publicly accessible and live testing server would fix many of these problems. you deploy you patch there before you deploy it to the main set of servers and allow users to QC your game for you. its a fairly simple fix.
    but it would still probably have some bugs when sent to the main server group because you would be dealing with stuff people with upgraded gear and whatnot. as well as older databases and stuff. but those kind of problems are less annoying to fix than things like guns not working, ground disappearing, textures and sound missing.

it would basically be like the servers were for beta.
    a server you know is for testing and may break or change at any time. as well as having a seperate client/updater for it you could easily notify people it was for testing only and not connected to the rest of the servers.
    then you could even do mass stress testing in the wild so to speak by calling out for volunteers.
  16. Withnail

Unless you are a monthly subscriber you really have no grounds to moan and even then it will be something that's sorted in a matter of days. So don't be so rude.
  17. Kinkaito

1 unpaid kid could of noticed most of these bugs within 5 minutes of logging onto the servers. it doesn't take 1000s

sure some minor ones make it though, sure some performance issues make it though, game changing bugs like the MAX unit shooting fked up lag bullets. Turrets not shooting anything, shell based tanks not shooting anything, these simple major bugs shouldn't of made it though the game. if it was tested they would of known.

I've played alot of games, Alot of MMOs too. from beta to release to years after release, I've experienced major patches that break games, to minor patches break games, I've played though engine related bugs to programming related bugs.
    at the end of the day it all comes down to one thing.

"if a company makes any change to their game, they should test it out in either a PTR environment or an internal testing environment before releasing any new changes to a live server which has it's players on"

If a company lets such major bugs go though which make their game unplayable for most, then the company has failed within it's QA department or there was some level of incompetence within the QA team to test even the most basic things which was changed in the patch.

I can name 100's of games which have bugs on patches, even 1000's as quite simply, every game does, but that doesn't mean its "ok" for these bugs to go though (Major ones i'm talking about, minor ones always sneak past as not every environment can be tested)
    And the people wrong should be held accountable in this case, the QA team, which the thread starter is simply doing.

Note, i'm saying things like "Turrets shooting air" are major bugs that should of been noticed.
    Not bugs like performance which are major but can't be tested with one set system set up which i'm sure SoE is running.

Actually he isn't saying anything that millions of people aren't thinking, stop white knighting SoE they screwed up and many people are upset.
    Server stability is inevitable with such major patches. yes
    individual stability is inevitable with such a major patch. yes
    These are things that can't be avoided with some patches which is why hot fixes happen.

Things that can be identified via QA team are the following
    Turrets not shooting shells
    Tanks not shooting shells
    MAX units shooting some weird *** omni directional orbital lag spike (if you've logged in game you would know what i'm on about) (which causes major lag)
    Med kits not working correctly
    Ammo kits not working correctly
    Random vehicles blowing up (was repairing 2 sunderers today and they just wouldn't stop taking damage, they wasn't being shot it was as if something put a major DoT on)

These are just a few I've personally come across within logging online for 5-10 minutes. you do not need 1000's of people to test bugs to find out some of these wasn't working, they simply didn't test it. they made it, assume it worked, and tossed it on live servers.

Where some people are paying a monthly subscription for.
    It doesn't matter if the problems are there for 1 day or 1 month, SoE are offering a service their current service is unacceptable so people complain, it's how the real world works.

When i go to a restaurant and order some food, and i receive the food under-cooked or burned, i complain about the level of the product/service they offered me, they need me as a customer more then i need them as a company, if they want me to keep returning and spending my money at their establishments they are required to offer me a service which would want me to return.

They don't simply say "Our Chief was ill today so we let the cleaner cook for us, the product is going to be a pile of crap for a few days until we find a replacement, please bare with us"
    People don't say that, It's the company's job to offer me and the people who use it the best they can offer, in this situation you find a replacement cook, which can do a equally good job.

And quite frankly in QA that wen't into this patch is pathetic, for example, they could of hired a 15 year old child off the streets, and put him on a PC, and said "Hey this is a list of changes we've done, check if they interfered with the game in anyway other then what's stated"
    that child would of looked for example "i see you've changed tank damage. lets test it out!"
    Kid from the streets logs into the game, jumps into a tank, shots. "Hey wait. its shooting blanks, that cant be right"
    Kid then walks up to an employee "the tank isn't shooting any ammo, what else uses the same ammo?"
    SOE employee says "well, turrets use the same shells as a tank"
    Kid then jumps in a turret and shoots, "hey this is shooting blanks too"

Just from asking someone who's not even qualified they would of known about TWO major game breaking bugs.

Think about what they could of done with 5 professionals who have had 8 working hours a day, to test changes?
    the fact some of these major things made it though proves the patch was either rushed, or untested. in both cases SoE are wrong and people are going to complain about it, which is there right as a customer.

what your doing is simply ignoring facts to make a argument for why they aren't wrong. simple facts are, SoE control the patch content, if the patch is broken, they are at fault.

As you said to someone, i use the same quote on you

"I'm shocked by your ignorance and total lack of manners / common sense"

i edited out the abuse you used at the end, i think it was a bit uncalled for.

Compared to how most people would of said it. he was rather respecfull he didn't call them a bunch of baboons and demanded they was fired. he simply stated they failed to do their job like. at all. which is the truth, by the looks of this patch, they skipped the QA team, if the QA team even got their hands on it and did do their jobs and these major things still went though. well i'm sorry to say, they need to retain them in the basics atleast.
    • Up x 3
  18. Malec

While it could have been said nicer, a hotfix that broke Vans/Prowlers/Lightnings/ESF noseguns/Turrets for every player should not have passed QA. Then not rolling back said hotfix immediately isn't great either. No matter how you dice it, SOE screwed the pooch on this one big time.
  19. Kinkaito

a free player is a potential customer due to the in game store, you don't need to to be a monthly subscriber to be called a customer.
    a Alpha squad player has spent money on the game - they are a customer.
    a monthly subscriber is a customer on a monthly bases.
    a free player who uses Station cash to buy things - still a customer.

If i walk into a gamestation store, looking around at what to buy, i'm still a customer, i might buy something, if i come across something i'm not happy with within your store, i'm within my rights to do so.
    for example:
    If i was looking at all the current FPS games in your store, and i went to ask your sales team for their input, and he told me "Your a moron, if you don't like this game go play something like barbie online"
    Reasons why he shouldn't of said that is because it's rude, and insulting. at this point i'm within my rights to ask for a manager and put forth a complaint. I've not even brought anything, not even spent 1 penny. just being on there property makes me a customer.

It's the same in this game.
    The store is the world of planetside 2.
    in this situation the patch which was released is an insult
    therefore the customers are complaining.
    • Up x 1
  20. Aerensiniac

Technically... you are wrong there... F2P players contribute to everything inside the game as well as game play and population statistics.
    F2P model revolves around paying for things you approve of. Its a quite literal popularity contest, considering that most of the shop items are cosmetic items.

Conclusively nothing will kill your game faster than arguments that go along the line of "you didnt pay so you should shut up".
    Take a moment and ask yourself what you would be doing right now on your servers without the F2P player-base.
    Let me give you a hint: It involves "alone" and "taking bases while fighting against nobody".