Why no bolt hold open device on guns?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jeuvisage, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Pemtaphalon

come to think of it, when you use the "thank you" voie command, they often mention a bonus check...who the hell pays us? I thought we were freedom fighters...perhaps this would require more thought then "why don't the guns have a bolt hold" or whatever...actually, I might do something extreme, I might just play the game and not worry so much about such benign unimportamt things as a Bolt Holdywhotsit
  2. SturmovikDrakon

You should tweet to T.Ray if you genuinely think this is something that needs attention, he usually responds

You're right though, a lot of the designs for these weapons don't make sense, but it's SOE's vision of the future so eh

Hopefully with their "Badassification" phase for all new and old weapons they'll revise some of the designs. They did say we'll be seeing a lot more moving parts for the weapons

If the man wants to mention a missing detail that is blatantly obvious then let him, the art department is doing a revision for weapons anyway
    • Up x 1
  3. Sebastien

Should have bought a Nugget
  4. Sebastien

The Corporations they're fighting for would be paying them. Though I have no idea what they would be payed in, Nanites maybe?
  5. AnnPerkins

From what I understand of real-life sniper rifles from the history channel and movies they don't automatically eject the casing to help prevent the sniper from being spotted (by having a bright shiny shell casing pop out) The sniper can then manually retrieve it so it makes as little noise as possible and minimizes visibility.
  6. ABATTLEDONKEY

nerd rage? pointing out how stupid of an issue this is is nerd rage? I REALLY dont care what RL guns have that feature. I am a huge gun nut, so I know a TON about them, and own way more than i need. this isnt about what features exist on real life guns. its about how trivial of an issue this is to be transcribed into real life. the bolt holding feature on all guns is for 3 things: part of disassembly, clearing chambers/barrels, and/or part of a mag-load feature. NONE of that is in this game.

Also i said you could see the ears, not that they diddnt have helmets. there is a com between PC's ( <--- damn important right there) but in the theoretical world, our soldiers actually yell to eachother, indicating that they DONT have ear peices.
  7. kill

Loads of modern fire arms don't have a BHOD. It's not inherently "better".
  8. jeuvisage

Yep, and there you go with the nerd rage again. Bolt hold open has nothing to do with the first two points you brought up, and everything to do with the last, which was what I was talking about if you were to bother to read my previous post.

Which faction and class? And if they yell to each other instead of using radios/headsets explain the role play of how players in two different zones can communicate with each other.
  9. Wobberjockey

partially true.

ejecting the casing also utilizes some gas energy that would otherwise be propelling the bullet down the barrel, which in turn directly leads to a greater maximum range.

it's part of the reason that many sniper rifles still use a bolt action.
    • Up x 3
  10. ABATTLEDONKEY

*facepalm* ok bud, your arguing JUST FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUING now.

incorrect, modern firearms utilize a bolt lock function for all 3 purposes. most Sig pistols require its use for disassembly, and all hi-point weapons require it for cleaning. most semi-auto pistols utilize it in these 2 functions now that i think about it. yes most rifles require a break down to clean, but many of them require bolt positioning (in which many use the bolt lock AS that position) for disassembly. you know what? this is as stupid as your thread. a bolt locking feature on a fire arm is for WHATEVER YOU WANT IT TO BE. its not just the one feature as you suggested because MANY firearms dont have a release button requiring manual action, thus negating the actual use of a bolt lock.................... I know my way around guns. it seems that you just layed a hand on one and wish to tell the world about it.

you want me to explain something which does not exist. not that it matters, but no characters talk to eachother out side of whatever is in that "V" menue, which is yelling and not a com. this game provides the controllers or players, to talk because that is essential to an FPS, but no the actual charatcers do not talk to one another, and would thus require some sort of hearing protection for their poor delicate ears. you realize that, like your thread, this entire discussion is trivial beyond reason right?
  11. Lucidius134

realism:

when we have to reload our guns slower because our battery magazine is empty but we dont need to manually chamber a new round.

realism:
    NANITES
    • Up x 1
  12. Wobberjockey

NANITES wins

FLAWLESS VICTORY!
  13. Edgar Allan Bro

I like how this moron types "nerd rage" at pretty much every response he gets.

Yet he is the "Nerd" for complaining about some extremely insignificant thing that no one in there right mind would even think to complain about.
  14. jeuvisage

No it is not required, you use the takedown lever.

Oh god, you have a Hi-Point. Do you wear one of these suits when you shoot it too?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2FoWpog5KU4#t=90s

Which one? ARs and my RFB require it to be forward, not locked back.

It is for locking the bolt back on a empty magazine, not whatever you want it to be.

Says the man with the worlds cheapest pistol which looks like a brick.

I wasnt raging and only said it to one person. And isnt it ironic that you would call someone a nerd when your signature has a bandwidth report.
  15. L1ttlebear

Jueface, I sincerely hope that you realize the fool you are making of yourself with all this amateur talk.

Being a certified gunsmith and having studied weapons for many many years, I can assure you that the slide lock and bolt retention mechanics in firearms is not a function exclusively for reloading a firearm.

Insulting someones possession of a firearm such as a Hi-point only facilitates my opinion that you know very little about firearms. Yes the hi-point line of guns are ugly and not the smoothest, but neither is the A-10 and just like the A-10 is to the air force, the Hi-point line of firearms is designed to be a cheap and ugly yet durable and reliable firearm. In no way does the appearance or price tag of a firearm line indicate the value of its functioning mechanics.

With very few exceptions, all semi auto and full auto rifles and pistols have a manual slide/bolt lock feature to make sure that the slide/bolt is in the rear position. This fact alone should indicate that the need for a slide to be in the rear position has more uses than just to indicate an empty mag. Some of the uses for a manual rear lock are:
    *Clean the firearm
    *Inspect the firearm
    *Take the firearm down (Yes, I use the manual lock to hold my slide while i activate my "take down lever" on my Sig P226)
    *Clear jams or other firearm malfunctions
    *To ensure that the firearm is empty and display this to other people in the area
    *and of course to indicate an empty mag and cut out the "rack" portion of reloading

All of these features either require, or are greatly assisted by a locking slide. If you want to talk about AR platforms, many AR platforms such as early versions of the SAW had to be walked with the slide locked back while in a belt fed configuration. This feature gave the soldier the ability to cut down on pivotal seconds in setup of the firearm if they were to come under attack. Most modern rifles allow the ready position to be locked and loaded, but this was not always the case and some firearms (particularly the belt fed ones) still require an open breach. Even some belt feeders for standard AR platforms require the bolt to be in the rear position when setup.

As i stated before, I am one who has most likely forgotten more about firearms than you currently know. I'm not intending to insult but rather to attempt to get you to understand how incorrect your statements are. If you want to learn more about firearms, I suggest working part tiem in a gun store and not talking, just listen to those around you. You will learn volumes.

One final note. PLEASE for the love of all that is kind, do not come back at me with some "knowledge" that you acquired while in the military.

The military is a GREAT way to learn about specific weapons in full detail, such as the M-16, M-4, SAW, and others depending on your specific role within your branch, but the military does not teach about "guns". They teach you about YOUR gun and there is a stark difference.
    • Up x 1
  16. ABATTLEDONKEY

ok your obviously not interested in ANY sort of discussion and will argue me one every little semantics point your brain can possibly comprehend. do I need to go through every single manual, for every firearm, and post videos of how the bolt carrier lock helps in multiple functions? seriously do I? you think its only for empty mags, but cant explain why there are manual locks on almost every semi-auto fire arm produced today (if the mag stopped it, why would you need to do it manually). your ignorance is simply blarning. jeu. if your a troll, congrats, you got me scratching my head wondering how someone can be so difficult and odd. let me just leave you with 2 things that you may actually address.

1: Why is it that you want this feature in this game? what benefits does it add? what does it add, that was so important, that you not only took notice of it, but actually concerned yourself enough to post about it on the forums. (btw was i right about the characters not talking? i think i was and your silence on it makes me think you know it.)

2: chastizing someone for the ownership of a particular firearm serves no other purpose than to lend credence to your ignorance on this topic. Dont hate on the Hi-Point. Almost every one that I have met, that has disliked the Hi-point, has done so having had ZERO experience with the actual firearm, and basing their hate on cosmetics alone. The simple truth is that most people who use this fire arm end up loving it, or at least respecting the hell out of it. Heck, that video you posted was one of many video's in which an individual did their best to destroy that gun, and prove it wasnt worth the cheap cost if offered, and every single one, including the one you posted, ends up praising the hi-point as the ugly ducking that could. and can do it VERY well. The simple truth is that Hi-point firearms are cheap, accurate, and totally reliable. they are ugly, and boxy (same exact thing as most $600 glock POS), but they do everything that they are promised. they are 100% american made, and will work every single time (with exception to their horrid mag design, that needs some big time love and is the source of ALL of their jamming issues). I bought my Hi-Point for $212 out the door. thats After taxes and DROS fees, and thats IN California. THATS why i own a hi-point. because i can. I stated that I own many firearms, and yet you claim that my ownership of a certain firearm, that you know nothing about, invalidates my credentials on firearms knowledge?

I think little summed up the rest of it. I dont have the same knowledge that he claims to have, but I can tell that you have FAR less than either of us.
  17. VictorDracul

I'm more worried by what a Burster Max does when it needs a whizz. Gotta be tough with no hands to undo the zipper......if there is one!! lol
  18. jeuvisage

See my second post.

I see, so because I know that a hipoint is a cheap firearm prone to malfunctions, I am ignorant. right...

I see, so it is "totally reliable", yet has a magazine issue which causes jamming issues. How does that work?

Congrats on a buying a cheap gun with jamming issues, I spent well over $2500 for my FNP-45T with spare mags (extended to 17 rounds), BladeTech holster, a 11-24lb recoil spring and guide rod set, a Surefire x400, Doctor MRDS and a ported 40 Super conversion barrel. I bought this gun for the same reason, because I could.

So if insulted someone because they own a Zastava Koral (Yugo) car, does that mean I dont know anything about cars either? I reload wildcats if it is any condolence, short necked 40 Super.

It is rarely used to clean the firearm except on those which can not be easily taken apart like a Garand. Not needed for inspection to see if it is loaded, unless you're referring to detailed inspection in something like a Garand. You dont need to use it to take down a firearm, even a 24lb recoil spring isnt that hard to hold back. When are you going to use it to clean a jam? If a extractor broke? It does nothing to display that a firearm is empty, as the magazine could still be loaded, and wouldnt you be using a chamber flag instead? And the last item you listed is why I am saying the guns in this game need it.

A SAW is not a AR. It is based off the FN Minimi, not a Armalite design.

Belt fed firearms are almost always fire from a open bolt.
  19. L1ttlebear

Yea thanks, that is exactly what i said. By your own words, the rear locking mechanism has more functions than to show an empty mag. I appreciate you proving through your own admission that i am right.

All of that googling that you worked on must have made you tired. How about giving me one good reason thie mechanic belongs in this game. Do you just want to feel "cool"? Or do you think reload times should be faster? or do you want a reload mechanism like Gears of war?
  20. Vreki

The reload time is a balance parameter. Adding a open bolt to the animation will be purely cosmetic, its not going to make your gun ready to fire any sooner.
    Arent we (NC) using Gauss weapons btw.? I dont think a coil guns is likely to cook off.